• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swt commercial guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Hotspur

Hi, can anybody tell me the salary for a commercial guard with SWT PLEASE? I applied well over a year ago and got an email out of the blue inviting me to an assessment next week! I took a new job 15 months ago so this has come as a bit of a shock and I can't find any details online or on this website giving a defenate answer.

I would also like to know if there is a starting salary during training? How long is this for? Hours worked per week? Holiday entitlement? And any other perks of the job such as free travel.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nuts & bolts

Hi, can anybody tell me the salary for a commercial guard with SWT PLEASE? I applied well over a year ago and got an email out of the blue inviting me to an assessment next week! I took a new job 15 months ago so this has come as a bit of a shock and I can't find any details online or on this website giving a defenate answer.

I would also like to know if there is a starting salary during training? How long is this for? Hours worked per week? Holiday entitlement? And any other perks of the job such as free travel.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Salary during the 3 months training is £18,658.00, once passed out you'll then work shifts over a 42 hour week. 22 days annual holidays + Bank holidays.

Which depot did you initially apply for?

theironroad

Established Member
Currently unlimited free travel (only standard class) on south west trains, island line and east Midlands trains. 5 'boxes' for use on virgin trains east coast. Can't remember exact details, but also good concessions on hovercraft and ferry from Portsmouth to isle of Wight.

Rest of travel in line with national priv travel for people joining post 1996

Note that Swt is currently run by stagecoach, but the new franchise competition is underway with a new operator from mid 2017, which will affect free travel if the operator changes.

1Hotspur

Well that's a bit better than I thought! Is this on completion of training?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks does the salary go up on completion of training? I am currently on more than that but I could manage for a few months on this. The depot I have applied for is Weymouth, down on the south coast. I currently work shifts, public holidays etc so that does not worry me. What are your typical hours?

Mike11

All depends on which depot ur at. I'm at BMH and earliest start is 4am and latest finish is 0330am. Hours can range from 6hrs-10hrs a day but can vary. It's an amazing job BUT can be very tiring!!! Weymouth's earliest start time is 5am and latest finish around midnight and u will only work on the mainline. It's an easier depot too!!!

Last edited:

Burgundy_ray

I believe once you sign your first train on your own that's when your salary goes up. I think it is £35000-36000 plus regional allowance and then ticket sales which I think is about 1% of every whole £ sold.

nuts & bolts

I believe once you sign your first train on your own that's when your salary goes up. I think it is £35000-36000 plus regional allowance and then ticket sales which I think is about 1% of every whole £ sold.

It's under 35k with regional allowances

theironroad

Established Member
Pretty sure swt commercial guards are on over 35k plus regional allowance which is a few hundred for south coast depots, also think that commission is 5%

Happy to be corrected by any Swt com guards doing the job however....

Mike11

Its 35-36k, even more if u work free days and its 5% commission on all tickets sold.

nuts & bolts

Pretty sure swt commercial guards are on over 35k plus regional allowance which is a few hundred for south coast depots, also think that commission is 5%

Happy to be corrected by any Swt com guards doing the job however....

Salary is circa £35k!

1Hotspur

Thanks for all the information guys! Any advice for the assessment? I am using the practice papers given to me, is there a dress code? Do you find out your results on the day? Cheers!

Flik

Thanks for all the information guys! Any advice for the assessment? I am using the practice papers given to me, is there a dress code? Do you find out your results on the day? Cheers!

First impressions count. Assessment day is first time they get a look at you, could be anyone from a manager on the train to work, or on a platform etc. I went to everything in a suit. Can't be underdressed then.

Can only say practise practise the exercises.

Status
Not open for further replies.