• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT diesels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does the 10 car 158/159 still run into Waterloo? If so when? Also are there any 158's, 159's or (in the past)170's that have run singley into Waterloo? (Under South West Trains) How is the Salisbury to Romsey service routed? It really confuses me as I can't work out it's sequence.
Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChampsRacing

It goes arrives in at 08:14 and departs at 08:50, arrives with all ten coaches in use leaves with the rear two locked out of use.

Helvellyn

Established Member
06:47 off Salisbury, all stations to Basingstoke, then non-stop to Waterloo.

A number of three-car 159 units are diagrammed to operate Salisbury-Waterloo services as a single unit in the off-peak. You also get 5-car, 6-car, 8-car and 9-car formations on West of England services between Salisbury and Waterloo (as well as the 10-car you started the thread with).

Salisbury to Romsey service operates via Redbridge and Chandlers Ford to Romsey, then return to Salisbury in the reverse direction. There may be the odd service that runs Salisbury to Salisbury in either direction (Redbridge/Chandlers Ford or Chandlers Ford/Redbridge).

vikingdriver

10 car is 0645 off of Salisbury. The first Romsey service runs via Chandlers Ford and Eastleigh round the circuit and back to Salisbury.

Eagle

Established Member
3-car workings to Waterloo are quite common at midday and in the evenings; also many Exeter services are 3-car as far as Salisbury then 6-car to Waterloo.

And here is the Salisbury–Romsey timetable for your further perusal :P The map on the front should clear it up.
The odd services are the 05.35 Salisbury–Romsey–Eastleigh–Southampton–Romsey–Salisbury, and the 06.12 Totton–Southampton–Eastleigh–Romsey.

A number of three-car 159 units are diagrammed to operate Salisbury-Waterloo services as a single unit in the off-peak. You also get 5-car, 6-car, 8-car and 9-car formations on West of England services between Salisbury and Waterloo (as well as the 10-car you started the thread with).

Salisbury to Romsey service operates via Redbridge and Chandlers Ford to Romsey, then return to Salisbury in the reverse direction. There may be the odd service that runs Salisbury to Salisbury in either direction (Redbridge/Chandlers Ford or Chandlers Ford/Redbridge).

Oh, I thought it went to Portsmouth.

Eagle

Established Member
Oh, I thought it went to Portsmouth.

There's a separate (EMU) stopper run by SWT between Southampton and Portsmouth.

And of course FGW run Salisbury–Romsey–Southampton–Portsmouth; although during the frequent works on Northam Tunnel it runs Salisbury–Romsey–Eastleigh–Fareham–Portsmouth.

There's a separate (EMU) stopper run by SWT between Southampton and Portsmouth.

And of course FGW run Salisbury–Romsey–Southampton–Portsmouth; although during the frequent works on Northam Tunnel it runs Salisbury–Romsey–Eastleigh–Fareham–Portsmouth.

Thinking about it that is what I'm thinking of. Are some peak time Portsmouth & SS to Southampton Ctrl services run by 158's?

vikingdriver

Thinking about it that is what I'm thinking of. Are some peak time Portsmouth & SS to Southampton Ctrl services run by 158's?

There is at least 1, a 3 car 159! Attaches to the 1007 ex Romsey via Chandlers Ford and gets taken back to Salisbury forming the 1147 Salisbury - Waterloo.

class377man

Some peak workings are 158s yes, as the usual 450 is needed to bolster trains to London. Once the peak is over the 450 is split from the other units at (I believe) Portsmouth & SS and takes over.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Only one return service at the end of the morning peak, about 0745 off Southampton, returns from Portsmouth in time to join with the relevant Romsey - Salisbury service at Southampton. Runs as a 5 car back to Salisbury at about 1044.

As far as I can work out all the other 158/159 services in or out of Portsmouth do not run in service on the Southampton route. There are a number that run to or from Basingstoke, there's even an evening peak Portsmouth Hbr to Fareham.

vikingdriver

Maybe with the extra stock heading to SWT land they could release the 2 159s and the 158 sat at Basingstoke for most of the day and the 3 159s at Clapham Junction for most of the day (not sure if anything sits at Fratton?) to strengthen some services, continue more services to at least Gillingham, maybe Yeovil Junction, or even relaunch the Paington / Plymouth services! Maybe more Bristol services, they are popular with the passengers. Many will miss the FGW service to travel on the SWT service and many do head up the SWML too.

Last edited:

RobShipway

Established Member
Maybe with the extra stock heading to SWT land they could release the 2 159s and the 158 sat at Basingstoke for most of the day and the 3 159s at Clapham Junction for most of the day (not sure if anything sits at Fratton?) to strengthen some services, continue more services to at least Gillingham, maybe Yeovil Junction, or even relaunch the Paington / Plymouth services! Maybe more Bristol services, they are popular with the passengers. Many will miss the FGW service to travel on the SWT service and many do head up the SWML too.

I know when I have been down to Portsmouth Harbour a few times on a Saturday morning there has been at least 3 Class 158 units stabled in the sidings at Fratton in SWT colours.

But has a 158 ever run into Waterloo on it's own? Diagramed or not.

vikingdriver

But has a 158 ever run into Waterloo on it's own? Diagramed or not.

Yes. I was on one a week or so ago! Not the booked unit. That was taken out of service at Salisbury after coming up from Exeter. I seem to remember the 170s frequently did the trip too on their own.

Eagle

Established Member
But has a 158 ever run into Waterloo on it's own? Diagrammed or not.

Yes, but it wasn't owned by SWT :P

Wales and West used to run some 158 services into Waterloo in the late 1990s. One particularly memorable service went Manchester–Crewe–Hereford–Severn Tunnel Junction–Bristol–Salisbury–Waterloo, which apart from its extreme silliness was notable for passing through two stations with the same name (Whitchurch; the Shropshire one this is the only London service it's ever had).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I know when I have been down to Portsmouth Harbour a few times on a Saturday morning there has been at least 3 Class 158 units stabled in the sidings at Fratton in SWT colours.

More likely to include a couple of 159s. There are two 159s at Fratton overnight on weekdays that form an early 6 car Basingstoke service, but it only runs Mon-Fri, so the Friday evening arrivals are there all weekend.

The time they are at Fratton is used for a planned interior deep clean apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.