• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT set at Great Malvern - 11/08/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobyH

Any info on this?

Bit of a surreal start to the day when I walk out the house, turn the corner and see a SWT liveried Sprinter set - I believe SWT have 158 and 159 sets - crossing the bridge over my road in Great Malvern.

I've looked at RTT to match up the time and reckon it must be 2E17 Warminster - Great Malvern. I assume this is just a set on loan to FGW?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samogers

Yes - A SWT s 159 is on loan to first great western normally operating the 2E17 Warminster - Great Malvern and then the 1050 Great Malvern to Brighton (1O98) then the 1659 Brighton to Bristol (1V96)

Not sure about Sundays though?

TobyH

Excellent.

Thanks to you both.

Think I may well have to take a trip on this, even if its just to Worcester.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Managed to get a quick trip to Worcester on this this morning just because I can't recall ever being on a 159 before. Also surreal for me as I recently moved from Hampshire so to see a SWT set up here was a bit of a novelty. The 159 seems to have more room than a 158. I know it probably doesn't but just felt a bit roomier, probably to do with the large vestibules too.

The confusion that it generated on arrival at GMV was somewhat amusing though understandable as to those not aware of the loan they would expect it to be a FGW set. Think I was asked by 5 different people if it went to their destination. Don't know why they gravitated to me but there you are!

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
You're lucky it got to Great Malvern as so many of these FGW services get turned round at Worcester due to matters such as signalling failures, congestion, late running etc.

TobyH

You're lucky it got to Great Malvern as so many of these FGW services get turned round at Worcester due to matters such as signalling failures, congestion, late running etc.

Indeed, I noticed that this was the case yesterday.

HBM

This service is a real nuisance, arriving in Hampshire, from the GW late virtually every day and has done for some considerable time. Once its path is lost along the South Coast it very often causes congestion and delay to other operators services. Indeed, today, Southern cancelled stops on the 15:12 Portsmouth Harbour to Victoria service at Crawley and Redhill, to regain lost time, as a direct result of delay caused by the Great Malvern service.

Turning round short of Brighton is not unusual, the most recent example being last Monday. A 25 minute late arrival into Hampshire and more minutes lost along the Sussex Coast resulted in termination at Worthing.

Incidentally, the SWT 159 is currently working FGWs 17:40 Cardiff to Portsmouth Harbour on Sundays. At least it has done in recent weeks.

VisualAcid

A lady at Temple Meads asked if the Virgin train stopped at Trowbridge the other day, gave am a shock ;D. The best thing about this service really is the declassified first as most people don't realise and it's comfortable and quiet.

Agree with HBM though, the Gloucester-Westbury route is really unreliable with the pathing, having a train expressed past your station on an hourly service can just ruin your day :p

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
This service is a real nuisance, arriving in Hampshire, from the GW late virtually every day and has done for some considerable time. Once its path is lost along the South Coast it very often causes congestion and delay to other operators services. Indeed, today, Southern cancelled stops on the 15:12 Portsmouth Harbour to Victoria service at Crawley and Redhill, to regain lost time, as a direct result of delay caused by the Great Malvern service.

Turning round short of Brighton is not unusual, the most recent example being last Monday. A 25 minute late arrival into Hampshire and more minutes lost along the Sussex Coast resulted in termination at Worthing.

Incidentally, the SWT 159 is currently working FGWs 17:40 Cardiff to Portsmouth Harbour on Sundays. At least it has done in recent weeks.

17 40 Cardiff to Portsmouth highlighted in Link on Post #3

Status
Not open for further replies.