• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT/SWR diagramming 2014-19

nw1

Established Member
Hi,

Just trying to remember the exact sequence of events for diagramming changes during SWT and pre-Covid SWR from 2014-19.

I downloaded a number of CWNs from the old UK Modern EMUs group covering 2006-12 and they reveal that the diagramming remained almost unchanged throughout this period. There were big changes when the 442s left SWT but then it settled into a period of stability following the 2tph to Weymouth. (There appeared to be a short period when the 442s had gone but the Weymouths hadn't gone 2tph and I have a CWN for this period, early 2007).

At some point however, still in the SWT years, ISTR they made changes to provide more peak seats. I can't remember exactly when, though I do remember that one knock-on effect of this was that the 1439 and 1539 Waterloo-Brockenhurst changed stock (for a long time, 5 444 for the former and 4 450 for the latter, at some point it became 4 450 for the 1439 and 5 444 for the 1539, presumably to provide more seating on the 1539). I remember these two trains specifically as I went through a phase of using one or other of them semi-regularly. Anyone remember the date of this?

Then later the stock of the 1539 switched again, to 8 450, presumably as that particular train was getting even more busy. I'm not sure but I think this was post SWR takeover?

Also is it correct that when SWR took over (and not before) the Waterloo diagramming changed to more self-contained workings and predictable patterns compared to late-00s early-10s SWT, which was very "random" (in a planned fashion of course)? Or did this happen earlier? I do remember seeing a CWN from the early SWR days, for example, which showed the Waterloo-Haslemere terminators off-peak to be self-contained with three diagrams (possibly 4 450, 12 450 and 5 444, though don't quote me on that). I think this may have been in conjunction with the planned return of the 442s.

Thanks.

Also on another topic, why was the 1718 fast path out of Waterloo unused for many years? There was the 1748 (Southampton semi-fast) and 1818 (Haslemere terminator), but no 1718 until later days which meant that post-2004 there were actually less peak services down the Direct between 1700-1800 compared to previously. Eventually it was introduced, for a short while at least, allowing the 1715 to be sped up.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Helvellyn

Established Member
Also is it correct that when SWR took over (and not before) the Waterloo diagramming changed to more self-contained workings and predictable patterns compared to late-00s early-10s SWT, which was very "random" (in a planned fashion of course)? Or did this happen earlier? I do remember seeing a CWN from the early SWR days, for example, which showed the Waterloo-Haslemere terminators off-peak to be self-contained with three diagrams (possibly 4 450, 12 450 and 5 444, though don't quote me on that). I think this may have been in conjunction with the planned return of the 442s.
I suspect you're right regarding the planned return of the 442s seeing diagram changes. If I recall the plan was only for Bournemouth (mainly for depot moves), Fratton and Waterloo to sign them so diagrams would have been changed in anticipation of the 442s operating largely.self-contained diagrams on the fast services.

The other key diagram changes in the 2010s revolved around the 458/5 conversion, seeing the Windsor suburban services largely switch to these (the 450s becoming a single fleet again with the 28 450/5s regaining First Class) and then the 456 introduction resulting in the 10-car Main Suburban timetable from late 2017 (the franchise changed hnads during the partial Waterloo closure of August 2017).

Big Jumby 74

At some point however, still in the SWT years, ISTR they made changes to provide more peak seats
This was an ever ongoing 'challenge' without the aid of additional stock (until the 458 conversion/707's).
1439 and 1539 Waterloo-Brockenhurst changed stock (for a long time, 5 444 for the former and 4 450 for the latter, at some point it became 4 450 for the 1439 and 5 444 for the 1539, presumably to provide more seating on the 1539)
Your reasoning is partly the reason, the 15.39 (IIRC) was becoming a tad cosy with only a 4 car. The change coincided with the changes to the 18.39 Waterloo to Poole, originally a 5 car. This became a portion working train at some point, so went over to 8 car 450 (more seats as well) front 4 for Poole/rear 4 for Fareham via Eastleigh. This removed the need for a separate 19.24 Basingstoke to Havant which had previously been formed by the 450 that had worked 15.39 Waterloo-Brockenhurst/empty back to Basingstoke.

I suspect you're right regarding the planned return of the 442s seeing diagram changes. If I recall the plan was only for Bournemouth (mainly for depot moves), Fratton and Waterloo to sign them so diagrams would have been changed in anticipation of the 442s operating largely.self-contained diagrams on the fast services.
That would make perfect sense.
The other key diagram changes in the 2010s revolved around the 458/5 conversion, seeing the Windsor suburban services largely switch to these (the 450s becoming a single fleet again with the 28 450/5s regaining First Class) and then the 456 introduction resulting in the 10-car Main Suburban timetable from late 2017
Correct.

Last edited: