• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

T&C's Northern Vs LNER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Efini92

Established Member
You say this like it's a common thing, but I've only ever heard the "top table" situation referred to at two mess rooms. One being Waterloo and the other Leeds. I'm not aware of any at either of the TOCs I've worked at, or heard much mention of them online, other than the two I've mentioned above.
It was a common thing, covid seems to have changed things. You don’t really see anyone sat about any more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
To be fair Sheffield Northern have their own mess room under the powerbox for themselves and invited guests only :lol:

Ah, the one they cross the line at the end of platforms 1 & 2 to reach! Usually they cross just as you get two on the bell and take power :D.

Platform 5 is only used and abused by contract staff and visiting traincrew. No one based at Sheffield generally uses it unless it's to pop in and make a brew, TPE have their own facilities over the road.

That’s the one I was thinking of. I think there was another one opened temporarily during Covid.

It was a common thing, covid seems to have changed things. You don’t really see anyone sat about any more.

We’re all working too hard these days!

Last edited:

Seehof

As a former Northern driver who knew some LNER drivers very well, we once worked out that my average diagram meant that I had more station stops in a day than a LNER driver in a week! Having driven empty trains on parts of the ECML, you have to like lots of green signals, the associated green ping of the AWS and frequent use of the deadman!
Seriously, if I had the choice, LNER would be mine. Good luck to you.

skyhigh

Established Member
You say this like it's a common thing, but I've only ever heard the "top table" situation referred to at two mess rooms. One being Waterloo and the other Leeds. I'm not aware of any at either of the TOCs I've worked at, or heard much mention of them online, other than the two I've mentioned above.
The mess room really is completely different now. You used to have the top table rubbish and a drivers and guard side but that's all gone now.

To the OP:

I work for Northern and I enjoy the variance of work, everyday is different in the grand scheme of things. If you want extra money but more mundane work go for LNER, if you want to be paid a decent wage but have much more variance go for Northern.

It’s all relative to yourself. Personally, even with the extra pay, I don’t think LNER would sit well with me, but it may do for you.

Try not to focus too much on the salary aspect, Northern and LNER drivers aren’t a million miles away from each other after taxes.

Good luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.