• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

T&W Metro automated announcments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryten2340

Seeing as Nexus haven't put my post on their forums I thought I would post it here.

Has anyone noticed how when you travel through Monument in either direction (well platform 1 and 2 at least, I rarely go through 3 and 4 unless going to St James on match day) how the stupid announcments state that "This train is for Newcastle City Centre". How pointless is that? The train is already in Newcastle City Centre. Surely it should be stating the destination. This is especially bad on platform 1 as that's where a lot of visitors coming form the Airport are potentially coming from and travelling through to Shields/Sunderland and it must be confusing.

I'm all for the announcements as I understand the need but come on this is embarrassing for them surely.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Seeing as Nexus haven't put my post on their forums I thought I would post it here.

Has anyone noticed how when you travel through Monument in either direction (well platform 1 and 2 at least, I rarely go through 3 and 4 unless going to St James on match day) how the stupid announcments state that "This train is for Newcastle City Centre". How pointless is that? The train is already in Newcastle City Centre. Surely it should be stating the destination. This is especially bad on platform 1 as that's where a lot of visitors coming form the Airport are potentially coming from and travelling through to Shields/Sunderland and it must be confusing.

I'm all for the announcements as I understand the need but come on this is embarrassing for them surely.

The installation has been terrible, and it feels as if it has been rushed in but not thought through enough.

I agree about the Newcastle City Centre comment - I guess Nexus think that most people from outside the region will want to get off at the City Centre and the best placed station is Monument.

Bridge189

I hate the voice it is by far the worst light rail voice around. The LU northern line voice would have been better

Ze Random One

Has anyone noticed how when you travel through Monument in either direction (well platform 1 and 2 at least, I rarely go through 3 and 4 unless going to St James on match day) how the stupid announcments state that "This train is for Newcastle City Centre".

If you are talking about the new on-train PIS, then it actually says "this STATION is for Newcastle City Centre", which is helpful for tourists who may not know the relationship between the line and the city above.

Kryten2340

I meant to post back earlier on the week to admit my error as it does say this station not this train however I've just got on the metro at Regent Centre going to Gateshead and straight away BING "The next station is South Gosforth change here for trains to the Airport from platform 2". Like I'm going to do that just to go back where I've come from.

Status
Not open for further replies.