• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Taking a trip to London and need information on the contactless system

Status
Not open for further replies.

sansyy

Hello, I am taking a trip down to London in a few weeks for two days. I am going to be travelling from Sutton to St Pancras via Thameslink and then going to be moving to Kings Cross underground to Manor House via Piccadilly line.

My question is, if I tap on at Sutton to St Pancras and then tap out to get out the barriers and then tap back in at kings cross to get through those barriers then back out at manor house will I be charged twice?

Another question is I am going to be travelling to Merstham which is outside of zone 9 (i think by 1 stop) and the information only about pay as you go caps are quite vague about this area so if anyone here has experience id greatly appreciate the help! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Somewhere

By 'moving', do you mean changing at St Pancras, or are you spending time in the area and making a separate journey? Trains to Manor House go from King's Cross St Pancras Underground Station, unless you're leaving from King's Cross and changing at Finsbury Park?
If you're just changing, it'll be counted as one journey. If you're spending any time between leaving St Pancras and entering King's Cross St Pancras it will be two separate journeys

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Another question is I am going to be travelling to Merstham which is outside of zone 9 (i think by 1 stop) and the information only about pay as you go caps are quite vague about this area so if anyone here has experience id greatly appreciate the help! :D
If going to Merstham, you can stay within the Zone 1-6 cap by taking the TfL 405 bus from Coulsdon South. The stop is outside the station at Coulsdon South.

Extension fares to Merstham for Contactless are set at a very high level to ensure that the much higher cap £23.70 (than Zone 1-6 £14.90) is charged.

Snow1964

Established Member
Hello, I am taking a trip down to London in a few weeks for two days. I am going to be travelling from Sutton to St Pancras via Thameslink and then going to be moving to Kings Cross underground to Manor House via Piccadilly line.
Kings Cross, and St Pancras is a very sprawling location with lots of long passageways and escalator links. Looking at a map, it might look a simple change, but is often a time consuming place to change.

If your destination is Manor House, on Piccadilly, then there might be better places to change.

Finsbury Park has cross platform change between Piccadilly and Victoria lines, with Thameslink above (there are some spiral staircases)

Potentially quicker from Sutton to get a train to Victoria, then Victoria line to Finsbury Park.

If somehow had got a train to London Bridge, can take Thameslink there, or take Northern line to Moorgate, then Northern City / Great Northern line, where there is another cross platform at Highbury and Islington. The Victoria line is so frequent that taking it one stop is quick.

For quick transit of London it is worth knowing the cross platform changes, where can change trains in seconds Victoria line also has cross platform changes at Euston (Northern city Branch) and Oxford Circus (Bakerloo) Others exist at Mile End (District-Central), Stratford (Elizabeth-Central), Finchley Road and Wembley (both Metropolition-Jubilee), Baker Street (Bakerloo-Jubilee) etc

Last edited:

Kenny G

Kings Cross, and St Pancras is a very sprawling location with lots of long passageways and escalator links. Looking at a map, it might look a simple change, but is often a time consuming place to change.

If your destination is Manor House, on Piccadilly, then there might be better places to change.

Finsbury Park has cross platform change between Piccadilly and Victoria lines, with Thameslink above (there are some spiral staircases)

Potentially quicker from Sutton to get a train to Victoria, then Victoria line to Finsbury Park.

If somehow had got a train to London Bridge, can take Thameslink there, or take Northern line to Moorgate, then Northern City / Great Northern line, where there is another cross platform at Highbury and Islington. The Victoria line is so frequent that taking it one stop is quick.

For quick transit of London it is worth knowing the cross platform changes, where can change trains in seconds Victoria line also has cross platform changes at Euston (Northern city Branch) and Oxford Circus (Bakerloo) Others exist at Mile End (District-Central), Stratford (Elizabeth-Central), Finchley Road and Wembley (both Metropolition-Jubilee), Baker Street (Bakerloo-Jubilee) etc
Barking for c2c - district/ Hammersmith and city

hkstudent

Established Member

My question is, if I tap on at Sutton to St Pancras and then tap out to get out the barriers and then tap back in at kings cross to get through those barriers then back out at manor house will I be charged twice?

Oyster / Contactless payment system do allow a lot of Out of Station interchange links which allow two or more legs to be joined as one journey, which St Pancras NR and Kings Cross St Pancras LU is one of them. It will be treated as one through journey for fare purposes.

Merstham is part of oystercard and contactless payment area but as others pointed out, daily cap to there is much higher, which taking a tfl bus 405 from coulsdon or purley which result a much cheaper daily capping.

Somewhere

Oyster / Contactless payment system do allow a lot of Out of Station interchange links which allow two or more legs to be joined as one journey, which St Pancras NR and Kings Cross St Pancras LU is one of them. It will be treated as one through journey for fare purposes.

Merstham is part of oystercard and contactless payment area but as others pointed out, daily cap to there is much higher, which taking a tfl bus 405 from coulsdon or purley which result a much cheaper daily capping.
An out of station interchange has to be conducted within a certain amount of time. The OP hasn't made clear whether they're changing trains at King's Cross, or actually spending time in the area

sansyy

If going to Merstham, you can stay within the Zone 1-6 cap by taking the TfL 405 bus from Coulsdon South. The stop is outside the station at Coulsdon South.

Extension fares to Merstham for Contactless are set at a very high level to ensure that the much higher cap £23.70 (than Zone 1-6 £14.90) is charged.
Thank you for information about the fare capping at Merstham. I plan to just purchase a rail ticket with southern for Merstham to Victoria since it’s cheaper and then I can cap with zone 1-6 for Sutton

By 'moving', do you mean changing at St Pancras, or are you spending time in the area and making a separate journey? Trains to Manor House go from King's Cross St Pancras Underground Station, unless you're leaving from King's Cross and changing at Finsbury Park?
If you're just changing, it'll be counted as one journey. If you're spending any time between leaving St Pancras and entering King's Cross St Pancras it will be two separate journeys
By moving I was referring to having to change from NR to LU and Google maps was showing I had to leave the station and walk

An out of station interchange has to be conducted within a certain amount of time. The OP hasn't made clear whether they're changing trains at King's Cross, or actually spending time in the area
won’t be spending any time there purely just changing for the LU after getting off thameslink

Was originally thinking of the Victoria line and going from Sutton there as I am most familiar with that journey

Last edited:

hkstudent

Established Member
Thank you for information about the fare capping at Merstham. I plan to just purchase a rail ticket with southern for Merstham to Victoria since it’s cheaper and then I can cap with zone 1-6 for Sutton

By moving I was referring to having to change from NR to LU and Google maps was showing I had to leave the station and walk

won’t be spending any time there purely just changing for the LU after getting off thameslink

Was originally thinking of the Victoria line and going from Sutton there as I am most familiar with that journey
Would be much cheaper if you get off at east Croydon and touch out and change for paper tickets.
Also, change to tfl bus at coulsdon would just add journey time by not more than 15 minutes

fandroid

Established Member
Although Google maps might show it as leaving the station at St. Pancras, in fact if you come off Thameslink and head for the Piccadilly Line, you can go down stairs/escalators while still undercover on the east side of St. Pancras station. Those lead to a subway which takes you to an Underground ticket hall beneath Kings Cross station. Just follow the signs from there. It is a fair distance to the Piccadilly, but not excessively so.

I think personally I would take a train to Victoria, for the Victoria Line and change at Finsbury Park.

Somewhere

Or the other way from Sutton to Manor House, would be a change at Balham, then the Underground changing at Stockwell and Finsbury Park

sansyy

Although Google maps might show it as leaving the station at St. Pancras, in fact if you come off Thameslink and head for the Piccadilly Line, you can go down stairs/escalators while still undercover on the east side of St. Pancras station. Those lead to a subway which takes you to an Underground ticket hall beneath Kings Cross station. Just follow the signs from there. It is a fair distance to the Piccadilly, but not excessively so.

I think personally I would take a train to Victoria, for the Victoria Line and change at Finsbury Park.
Thank you for the suggestion this is most likely what I will do, I was originally going to just get off at Finsbury Park and walk but if Piccadilly line is served at Finsbury Park as long as frequency is high I might as well the tube there.

Status
Not open for further replies.