• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TAM-BDT - Split ticketing really does save money

Status
Not open for further replies.

xc170

Travelling form Tamworth to Bridlington in a couple of weeks and not knowing the exact time/date I'm not looking at advance tickets, instead, I've been looking at split ticketing, I knew I'd save a few £ splitting but I didn't realise just how much cheaper it would be...

Tamworth - Brid with a Disabled railcard off peak is £61.30.

However, splitting at Derby and Sheffield, you pay just £36.70, saving £24!

Shocking to see how much the railway rips off the everyday traveller who's not clued up on splitting etc...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Shocking to see how much the railway rips off the everyday traveller who's not clued up on splitting etc...
Alternatively: It's refreshing to see how much of a saving can be made by people who are willing to put in the extra work to find good splits.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Train companies like XC and TPE who price their tickets at very high levels in order to meet aggressive DfT franchise commitments are very unhappy that you are able to undercut their longer distance fares by doing this.

They wish to see an end to split ticketing, by having the shorter distance fares (which they often have no control over, due to either fares regulation or due to the fares being priced by more reasonably priced train companies) increased in value, so that the sum of the shorter distance fares for your journey would be at least £61.30.

The Department for Transport won't admit this, but they are sympathetic to the plight of the rip-off train companies like XC and TPE. After all, it is the DfT's franchise demands that leads to the train companies concerned having rip-off fares!

It is therefore very important that we bear these intentions in mind when participating in the fares consultation.

The fares consultation is designed to mislead people by saying "If this were changed those who currently buy split tickets may pay a little more whereas those who currently buy through tickets may pay a little less" however we know that if the DfT and the rogue train companies get their way, those who currently buy split tickets would pay a LOT more whereas those who currently buy through fares would generally pay the same fare as before!

Last edited:

Veteran Member
In this case the split fare seems to be using offpeak DAY return fares. The same split for a period ticket is around £10 (using a Via Hull Anytime).^

Status
Not open for further replies.