• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Tarbet via Gourock" ticket (1998)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hassocks5489

Hi all,

I'm seeking information about an APTIS ticket of which I have been sent a scan (attached): from Glasgow Central to TARBET VIA GOURK (i.e. Tarbet via Gourock) dated 2 August 1998. I'm trying to find out more details of this. I assume Tarbet refers to the Tarbet of "Arrochar & Tarbet" fame, i.e. the one on Loch Lomond; if so, was there a ferry at some point from Gourock to Arrochar (presumably via Loch Long) which accepted this ticket? Was it Caledonian MacBrayne? Was it just a short-lived service or promotion, perhaps just during that summer? Is it a different Tarbet altogether?... I have some fares manuals from the 1990s and 2000s but nothing has come to light: in particular I have the "Rail Links" manual for NFM97 (2008) but this lists rail-and-ferry tickets for Armadale, Brodick, Castlebay, Craignure, Dunoon, Lochboisdale, Rothesay and Stornoway only.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Ferry and Hovercraft Destinations - Tarbet via Gourock (NK).jpg
    Ferry and Hovercraft Destinations - Tarbet via Gourock (NK).jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 59
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

keppoch69

On Moderation
There is also a Tarbert, south of Lochgilphead on the way down to Campbeltown.

randyrippley

Established Member
I'd guess at Tarbet ferry terminal at the mouth of Loch Fyne, with a bus between Dunoon and Portavadie (on the other bank

edit - changed Loch Long > Loch Fyne, got my geography messed up

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Tarbet is a common enough name (it means "isthmus") but this is curious because the station is Arrochar & T and the relevant pier was called Arrochar - historically there were buses across to Tarbet on Loch Lomond (Google Arrochar Pier)

Looking at old ScR timetables there was a regular steamer excursion up to Arrochar from Gourock (and Craigendoran) until at least 1963, but I can't find when Arrochar Pier fell into disuse. My memory from about the relevant period is that the Gourock-Kilcreggan ferry made the odd trip to Helensburgh, but I'm not sure whether that fits in.

Guess: an excursion on the Waverley or Queen Mary to the top of the Loch and back?

I'd guess at Tarbet ferry terminal at the mouth of Loch Long, with a bus between Dunoon and Portavadie (on the other bank)
Sounds possible too, though it's spelt Tarbert.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Looking at old ScR timetables there was a regular steamer excursion up to Arrochar from Gourock (and Craigendoran) until at least 1963, but I can't find when Arrochar Pier fell into disuse. My memory from about the relevant period is that the Gourock-Kilcreggan ferry made the odd trip to Helensburgh, but I'm not sure whether that fits in.

Guess: an excursion on the Waverley or Queen Mary to the top of the Loch and back?
This ran until late sixties/early sevnties, normally Waverley. Queen Mary never worked Craigendran due to shallow draught at Craigendoran.
Having sailed to Arrochar the 'tour' comntinued from Tarbet to Balloch - walk or private bus Arrochar to Tarbet - from where there was a direct train to Craigendoran Pier (platform 1) to link some tour passengers back to their starting point of Gourock, Dunoon etc.

There was also a regular service from Gourock to Tarbert Loch Fyne - that is east Loch Tarbert not West which was where the Islay ferry sailed from (now Kennacraig), but this finished probably late sixties. This was the only MacBrayne service on the Clyde.

Whatever the actual destination it seems odd to find it in 1998.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Noted that 2nd August 1998 (date of cheap day return ticket as pictured upthread) was a Sunday. Presume that this day out itinerary was only possible on a weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.