• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tattoos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railroader22

Hey guys and girls, I was wondering if we could get a discussion going regarding tattoos and jobs in the railway. I have a full hand piece and various other tattoos, including the side of my neck and full sleeves on both arms. I’ve been offered a role with TfL, which is great (so I know their policy on tattoos is non existent. I’m interested in other TOC’s. I may look to move to another TOC in the future due to relocation and want to know if my tattoos will stop me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGoldfish

Used to know a guy worked in hr (TfL) I think they still have policy on visible tattoos in that they shouldn’t be offensive or defamatory... would assume most companies if not all with public facing roles are the same ?

Railroader22

Used to know a guy worked in hr (TfL) I think they still have policy on visible tattoos in that they shouldn’t be offensive or defamatory... would assume most companies if not all with public facing roles are the same ?
Yea, any offensive tattoos I guess would be a ‘NoNo’ straight away for any TOC. Any idea on SWR or GWR in particular?

Aivilo

Most places have moved with the times and accept it nowadays. Virgin didn't accept visible Tatt's last I knew but that may have changed.

TheGoldfish

I doubt there would be blanket rule .... even the met police allow visible tattoos now ... but it’s done case by case basis

RBSN

As long as your tattoos are not deemed offensive, you’re fine.

I’m full of tattoos, including hands, and I work with a lot of drivers and guards who are the same.

I was talking to an LNER driver last week and she has both sleeves including hands done.

Stigy

Established Member
Yea, any offensive tattoos I guess would be a ‘NoNo’ straight away for any TOC. Any idea on SWR or GWR in particular?
Both are generally fine with tattoos. Both companies have uniform standards which do go in to detail about what’s acceptable and what’s not. I’d imagine most if not all companies have policy guidance on tattoos as part of some sort of uniform standard.

ratbag

As long as it's not a Combat 18 tattoo, nobody gives a rats today. My brother has a full Polynesian sleeve, and is a police officer. Then again the threshold for becoming a UK police officer has dropped to alarming levels. Seriously overweight officers have become the norm. Back on topic, tattoos are no longer a bar to employment, and haven't been for a while.

Railroader22

I managed to take a look at GWR uniform policy and on their policy it says tattoos are not accepted if they are visible. So that would mean no hands/neck tattoos. Does anyone know if this is concrete policy? Or do you think they’re not so regimental about that policy anymore? The policy is on their website.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
My old TOC had a uniform policy that tattoos should be covered, but it was rarely enforced. One manager had a real problem with them, but he was an exception. The new TOC have yet to bring in their own uniform policy.

Stigy

Established Member
I managed to take a look at GWR uniform policy and on their policy it says tattoos are not accepted if they are visible. So that would mean no hands/neck tattoos. Does anyone know if this is concrete policy? Or do you think they’re not so regimental about that policy anymore? The policy is on their website.
A lot of companies don’t like neck tattoos as they can’t (easily) be covered. For the benefit of getting a job in the first place I guess the recruiter(s) would take every case on its own merits. Once recruited, it’s not that stringently monitored and will be at the manager’s discretion really. I know loads of people at GWR with uncovered tattoos. As long as they’re in good taste it should be fine. Maybe make a conscious effort to cover what you can at an interview.

Railroader22

A lot of companies don’t like neck tattoos as they can’t (easily) be covered. For the benefit of getting a job in the first place I guess the recruiter(s) would take every case on its own merits. Once recruited, it’s not that stringently monitored and will be at the manager’s discretion really. I know loads of people at GWR with uncovered tattoos. As long as they’re in good taste it should be fine. Maybe make a conscious effort to cover what you can at an interview.
I will always make sure I look the best I can at interviews and cover what tattoos I can. My neck tattoo is on the side and can just about be covered by my collar. My sleeves are obviously covered by my shirt. I always wear a smart, tailored three piece suit at interviews so they can see I’m not a scruffbag. The ones I’m more worried about are my hand tattoos. I have a lovely realism piece on one hand. The whole hand is a lion (doesn’t extend to fingers) And on the other hand a couple of numbers etc. So the hands can’t be covered. These are the ones I’m primarily more concerned about.

Carrie-Cole

I’ve recently passed my DMI Feb 2020 I’m now waiting in a talent pool for Plymouth... I have hand and arm tattoos on both sides so I don’t think it matters as long as it’s not offensive

Railroader22

I’ve recently passed my DMI Feb 2020 I’m now waiting in a talent pool for Plymouth... I have hand and arm tattoos on both sides so I don’t think it matters as long as it’s not offensive
Awesome. Which TOC is that for? And congratulations.

TeeTeeMcgee

Unfortunately it usually depends on the company, whose interviewing you and the policies on what's acceptable/not acceptable.

In my experience, there tends to be less rigid rules around office based staff compared to customer facing. I tend to keep my tats covered (I have many) until I've been for the interview, then ask if there's a problem.

Railroader22

Awesome. Thanks. It was GWR I was particularly interested in as their website states a No Visible tattoo policy. I’m hoping to get a Reading based position with GWR or SWR at some point. Plymouth is lovely. Great depo to be based at.

Status
Not open for further replies.