• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Taunton or Crewkerne to Farnham

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgl

Established Member
This is just a check for future travel for my uncle. He checked the price of return travel (returning a few days later) for a trip to Farnham. He ended up going form Crewkerne as it was cheaper that from Taunton, however, when I checked I looked to see what the price was if he went from taunton via Exeter (as it is would be easier and removes a walking interchange) and the ticket that was shown on NRE was cheaper even than the from Crewkerne ticket (which considering the longer distance and actually having to travel through crewkene) seemed quite strange. I can't remember the exact priings but I believe there was over £10 between the from Crewkerne fare and the from taunton via Exeter fare.
What I want to know is, is this ticket actually valid and if so why the price difference?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
The Taunton-Farnham Super Offpeak Return for any permitted route is £57.50 and is valid via Reading and then the subsequent walking interchange you mentioned. It also valid via Salisbury. If you ask a journey-planner for "via Salisbury" options, you get quite a wide range: Taunton-Westbury-Salisbury-Woking-Farnham, Taunton-Bristol-Westbury-Salisbury-Woking-Farnham, and Taunton-Exeter-Salisbury-Woking-Farnham.

If your uncle is happy to be restricted to travelling via Salisbury on one of those "via Salisbury" routes, then there is a £40.40 offpeak return.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Whilst I am slightly surprised that travel via Exeter appears to be a valid route, it is worth noting that there is also a Super Off Peak return route 'not via London' at £33.30.
Sorry, single fare quoted rather than return!

Last edited:

Romilly

Established Member
The £33.30 ticket appears to be a single, not a return.

dgl

Established Member
This is what I got:

TAU -> FNH (Not via exeter) £57.50

TAU -> FNH (via exeter) £40.40

CKN -> FNH (with either no via or, either woking or salisbury selected) £52.70

What i don't understand is why the TAU -> FNH VIA EXETER is cheaper than the CKN -> Farnham fare

Romilly

Established Member
One difference is that from Crewkerne there are "Day Return" tickets to Farnham (£41.80 anytime, £41.20 offpeak). Second, is that the fares from Crewkerne to Farnham are set by South West Trains, whereas those from Taunton are set by First Great Western.

Status
Not open for further replies.