• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Taunton to Durrington SSR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsebee

Is a Taunton to Durrington Super Off Peak Return (SSR) route "any permitted" valid on the return portion on a train at around 0700 from Durrington to London Victoria on a weekday?

I can see its not valid on departures from Paddington before 1010, but an early departure from Durrington would allow a bit of time in London

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alex365Dash

Is a Taunton to Wortihng SSR any permitted valid for travel from Wortihng
The return portion is, yes.
is a Taunton to Durrington SSR return any permitted valid on the return portion on a train at around 0700 from Durrington to London Victoria on a weekday? I can see its not valid on a departure from Paddintgton before 1010, but an early departure from Durrington would allow a bit of time in London
The restriction code on your ticket, XC, has the following restrictions on the return portion:
GWR said:
Not valid on trains timed to depart:
  • London Paddington after 04:29 and before 10:10 and after 15:04 and before 19:01;
  • Reading after 04:29 and before 10:30 and after 15:31 and before 19:01;
  • Slough after 04:29 and before 10:06;
  • London Waterloo after 04:29 and before 08:15 and after 15:59 and before 19:01;
  • Birmingham New Street after 04:29 and before 10:30.
Not valid on trains timed to arrive at:
  • Exeter St Davids after 04:59 and before 11:30
  • Salisbury before 09:30 and after 17:39 and before 19:01.
There’s already no restrictions until you get to London, so the answer would already be yes, but there’s also an easement in addition to that:
Super Off-Peak tickets from stations not listed are valid for connections into trains departing as shown above.
Which means your restrictions only apply to your first train, of which no restrictions apply to arrivals in London, so practically there is no restriction on the return portion of your ticket at all.

Halsebee

The return portion is, yes.

The restriction code on your ticket, XC, has the following restrictions on the return portion:

There’s already no restrictions until you get to London, so the answer would already be yes, but there’s also an easement in addition to that:

Which means your restrictions only apply to your first train, of which no restrictions apply to arrivals in London, so practically there is no restriction on the return portion of your ticket at all.
Thanks a lot. Is this then one of those tickets that the gateline staff at Paddington would not recognise as valid if used during evening peak, as discussed many times before on this forum?

Haywain

Veteran Member
I think you're misreading or misinterpreting that, and the restrictions from Paddington will apply.

fandroid

Established Member
I think you're misreading or misinterpreting that, and the restrictions from Paddington will apply.
So what do you think is the practical effect of that easement? Is it connections into those same services are allowed but not at the main stations listed in the restriction?

Haywain

Veteran Member
So what do you think is the practical effect of that easement? Is it connections into those same services are allowed but not at the main stations listed in the restriction?
I see that as formalising the (sadly) unwritten Network Area rule which used to say that if your journey commenced in the Network Railcard area and extended across London and outside that area the only restrictions to your ticket would be those applicable to the London Terminal you travelled out of to your destination outside the area. I realise that my wording is slightly clumsy, but it's the best I can do at the moment!

Alex365Dash

I see that as formalising the (sadly) unwritten Network Area rule which used to say that if your journey commenced in the Network Railcard area and extended across London and outside that area the only restrictions to your ticket would be those applicable to the London Terminal you travelled out of to your destination outside the area. I realise that my wording is slightly clumsy, but it's the best I can do at the moment!
Whilst this would make sense and is probably the intention of the restriction, the wording of the actual note in the restriction seems to make it look like if your origin isn’t mentioned in the restriction code, you can connect off a train from the origin into a train that would otherwise be restricted - and vice versa for the return portion.
Super Off-Peak tickets from stations not listed [i.e those not listed in the restriction] are valid for connections into trains departing as shown above. [Trains shown above are those that would otherwise be restricted.]
This would cause the ridiculous situation that I can’t use the 08:17 Cardiff Central (from Swansea) - London Paddington on a SSR (Super Off-Peak Return) from Cardiff Central to London Terminals route Any Permitted (restriction YV rather than XC but same note regardless), but I can if I purchase a Cardiff Queen Street - London Paddington SSR and travel on the 08:04 Cardiff Queen Street (from Merthyr Tydfil) - Cardiff Central (towards Barry Island) beforehand!

I’m not entirely sure how the note in the restriction can be interpreted as writing down the Network Rule.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's unrestricted from Durrington to London.

Restrictions apply from London to Taunton

The wording is clumsy (but in line with expectations; the people who come up with this wording are often lacking in English language skills)

Status
Not open for further replies.