• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Technical data for Class 43 HST and Class 158

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghawk2005

Hi

in the past, i have seen links to technical data and driver’s manuals from years back somewhere but can’t find them.
I am specifically after the various brake pressures for each brake step, performance data, for Class 158 and also the valenta / vp185 data such as amps for each throttle notch etc etc

Could anyone point me in the right direction please?
thank you
Gary

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driverd

Brake step wise, 158s are:
Step 1: 1-1.5 bar
Step 2: 2-2.5 bar
Step 3: 3-3.5 bar
Emergency is the same as Step 3 with no enhanced performance, but the circuit is earthed and brake release isn't possible unit 2 mph(?) - I suspect someone else will be able to confirm this.

The brake pressures above are the same for all pacer/sprinter units.

What performance data are you after?

Also, out of interest, what's this in aid of?

Ghawk2005

Brake step wise, 158s are:
Step 1: 1-1.5 bar
Step 2: 2-2.5 bar
Step 3: 3-3.5 bar
Emergency is the same as Step 3 with no enhanced performance, but the circuit is earthed and brake release isn't possible unit 2 mph(?) - I suspect someone else will be able to confirm this.

The brake pressures above are the same for all pacer/sprinter units.

What performance data are you after?

Also, out of interest, what's this in aid of?
Thank you. So good to have this sort of info,

I’m just interested how a train simulator game compares. Always love learning about the real life units compared to how they are represented in the game.

Would to know about level track acceleration timings, 0-60, 60-90mph etc etc. I know there’s variation in all units… just after an average really.

Also emergency stop distance or the like. Any extra information would be greatly appreciated ( same for the Valenta HSTs, I’m sure the brake pressures for each brake step are slightly different to the modern MTU are they not ?

driverd

Thank you. So good to have this sort of info,

I’m just interested how a train simulator game compares. Always love learning about the real life units compared to how they are represented in the game.

Ah yes! If we're talking about the "base" 158s available, they're vaguely similar. If we're talking about the expensive add ons available from 3rd parties, they're closer to reality in some ways, but introduce a whole load of enhancements that give a vague implementation of systems that are present in the real world, yet they implement these systems in a way that makes the whole thing somehow feel less immersive, even if it sounds more like the real thing.

It's a bit like, if you got a simulator of your car and it drove and sounded vaguely like it if you squinted, you can live with the fact you have to squint to enjoy it. If you got an even more expensive version that drove and sounds exactly like your car until x/y/z occurs, then behaves in no manner resembling reality, it somewhat kills the immersion.

I hope that analogy summarises it in an understandable way - I suppose it's one of those first world problems that you'll only have if you've actually driven the real thing (privileged position to be in of course, I'd say!).

Would to know about level track acceleration timings, 0-60, 60-90mph etc etc. I know there’s variation in all units… just after an average really.

As I'm working this week, I'll see if I can help with that one. I suspect we'll have documents accordingly.

Edit - this information is actually available online somewhere. There's a chap who does recorded speed runs. I'm not sure if they're always the most accurate (a small gradient can make a big difference), but they're a good benchmark.

Edit #2 - I've done some googling and it's rail express who do the timings. According to a very old thread on this website, they give 158s as 98 secs 0-60.

Also emergency stop distance or the like. Any extra information would be greatly appreciated ( same for the Valenta HSTs, I’m sure the brake pressures for each brake step are slightly different to the modern MTU are they not ?

In terms of braking distances I can't really give much information for emergency as we usually do all we can to avoid using it (and when we do we're usually far more preoccupied with the thing that caused us to place the brake to emergency).

What I can say, is for a 158, if you hit a platform at 20mph, it would typically stop within around 75m using step 1 brake.

If you hit a platform at around 28mph, you'd get similar distances from step 2.

Take these distances with a rough 20m margin. They're just recollections from memory and I don't claim them to be exactly accurate.

Additional tit bits: every simulation I've seen doesn't model a 158 speedo accurately. There's a distinct lag (around 2 seconds) for the speedo to give an accurate reading. For instance, if you start moving down a platform, you'll somehow be doing so at zero mph for the first few seconds. As you shut off power, you somehow gain a few mph as the speedo catches up. It's very much unique to 158s (compared with most of its contemporaries, cant speak for DMMUs etc) and one of those little things you really notice.

WSP and wheel slide is modelled awfully in all commercial sims I have used so far. Trains don't go into uncontrollable slides in the snow in mid Feb every time the brake is applied. Snow causes minimal WSP behaviour except in EMUs as they accelerate (same as in rain).

No simulation can do justice to how cramped a 158 cab is. Drivers don't have knees or require lumbar support according to BREL.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head :lol:

Last edited:

Ghawk2005

Wow, thank you so much for the info - much appreciated. Especially about the step 1 and step 2 sort of behaviour. I was particularly fascinated by the 2 second lag in the speedo - very unexpected little quirk. :)

I had vaguely heard about the 0-60 time being around 98 seconds somewhere too, so nice to hear that echoed again.
thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.