• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Technical specification of train

Status
Not open for further replies.

inzamam001

Where can I find technical details of trains like voyagers? I need to know about the things like wheelbase length, the mass of bogie and wheelset, stiffness of springs, the neutral diameter of the wheel and some other things.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Where can I find technical details of trains like voyagers? I need to know about the things like wheelbase length, the mass of bogie and wheelset, stiffness of springs, the neutral diameter of the wheel and some other things.
Thanks

Do you NEED to know or WANT to know ?

If you need the information for a specific reason, such as an industry project. You should be given them if you need access. If you are in a position where its required then you could ask the ROSCO for the information and inform them they are required for you role.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_220 is a good place to start as links to technical information is usually provided.

From Google (train sim traction manual) (link opens a PDF)

Last edited:

inzamam001

Do you NEED to know or WANT to know ?

If you need the information for a specific reason, such as an industry project. You should be given them if you need access. If you are in a position where its required then you could ask the ROSCO for the information and inform them they are required for you role.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_220 is a good place to start as links to technical information is usually provided.

From Google (train sim traction manual) (link opens a PDF)

Thanks for your reply.

I don't need to know. I want to know the info for my uni assignment. It would have made my life easier.
I will check out the wiki page.

Thanks

ComUtoR

Established Member
1652012068907.png

Its not a Voyager but I assume you want technical documents like this ? I'm not sure they are publicly available but I'd try the ROSCO and see if they could help.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Thanks for your reply.

I don't need to know. I want to know the info for my uni assignment. It would have made my life easier.
I will check out the wiki page.

Thanks
If it's for educational purposes there's no harm in sending Alstom (who have acquired Bombardier) or the relevant ROSCO a message or email and asking. The worst they'll give is a polite refusal.

Beacon rail are the current owners of the fleet: https://beaconrail.com/en/fleet-item/cl-221/

inzamam001

Thanks, both, for your reply. I will surely try to contact ROSCO for the details.

If I get to know what are the actual values of the bogie dimensions, then it will be easier for me to do my assignment because right I have no idea how to calculate the wheelbase of a bogie and by changing the dimensions of the wheelbase, how it affects mass of the bogie.

Thanks again

millemille

Your university, or specifically your relevant tutor/professor, should make the initial approach to either Alstom - as the vehicle design authority - or Beacon - as the vehicle owners - as if they've let you choose a project/dissertation etc. that requires this information then they should take responsibility for establishing your bona fides and making the introduction for you and addressing matters like Non Disclosure Agreements (NDA's).

We, as a train equipment manufacturer, assist students from several universities with access to our equipment, test rigs, data and the like but only if they come to us through the university or their professor and we are sure the learnt knowledge is not to be used for commercial gain or compromises our market position.

ComUtoR

Established Member
When you say 'Bogie' Do you mean the bogie frame or the entirety of the bogie ? From the document I have, no weight is listed but each additional component will add weight, as well as the construction material.

Bogie Frame
1652014969657.png

Of a full bogie ?

1652015111008.png

The lower image has various parts attached so an overal weight will be determined by what has been mounted, also, the images are from a motor bogie, not a trailer. Im not a engineer or tech person and I'm sure you have considered all this already.

I have no idea what bogies a Voyager uses but I found a Siemens datasheet via google because I knew the Bogie number. Maybe that could also be helpful in some way.

https://assets.new.siemens.com/siem....pdf?msclkid=3a3e0944cecf11ec8c05f891c1743bf1 (link is to a Siemens technical document)

inzamam001

I can't believe how these forums can be so helpful.

Thank you so much all.

In my assignment, there is input and output data for a train, and then I am using MATLAB to simulate the train movement. Input data includes the wheelbase of the bogie, the mass of the bogie and wheelset, the neutral diameter of the wheel, spring constants etc. and the output data includes longitudinal coordinate, transverse coordinate, wheelset angular velocity, etc.
Basically, there is no right or wrong answer, and I just have to justify whatever data I am using. So I thought, why not just use the official data for any particular bogie and then in justification, I can write this is a real-world example.

ComUtoR

Established Member
The Siemens data sheet has the bogie data with two bogies (motor/trailer)

Spring data I can't find my document has a breakdown of components but then refers to some 'EN' standard documents which is where I assume more technical data is held. I wouldn't have a clue where to look for those.

Status
Not open for further replies.