• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Techniquest's Amazing 14 Day ALR, 4th to 17th June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
are southeaston bashing and more to the point networker basìng :)
not had the missfortune of one of the sets with the new traction pack yet but guess I'll miss it when I do. I managed to get much of SE metro a while back so not so much need to use it now. Great to hear from you again and awate the latest installments when your free. Oh and 321s do make a good sound!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Funny how it has all gone quiet since you updated the thread!

I'll admit I'm enjoying reading about the trip, good to see what other people do when they're out and about on the rails.

Aye, I was expecting lots of "When's the rest of it coming?" as soon as I posted it to be honest!

I just wish I was enjoying typing it all up as much as people enjoy reading it, still there's only 2 and a bit more days to type up so by tomorrow I expect to have day 12 finished and day 13 either partly done or finished. Shift swap on Monday so won't be doing more typing before Wednesday, although I might treat myself to a day out instead. We'll see.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You've lost me there, clammers? Anyway, having spent ages today watching the marathon, it's time to get going with some more of this write-up...

15th June 2012 - All Line Rover, Day 12 continued...

465931 (oh so close to my last one, 465930, for sight!) was banged together with 466023 next, with Chinese whispers suggesting they were filing for divorce on arrival at Slade Green later on [yes I've a weird sense of humour! - Ed], and I join them working the 1628 from Petts Wood as far as Beckenham Junction. We get held shortly before Bickley, thankfully the delay is only a couple of minutes. An unplanned grice was the slow lines before Elmstead Woods done today, another bit of the SET empire finally conquered! 455830 follows with some major duddage on the 1653 Beckenham Junction to London Bridge via Crystal Palace. And as we pass over Bromley Junction a matter of minutes later, it's time for a victory party, as the Southern network has finally been completed. At long flaming last!

There's only a few minutes to wait at Tulse Hill for a Bedford train, so I make up my mind just in time to try for a red pen move before the 455 doors closed. Much better than suffering the Northern line again! Winner 319218 and dud 319214 pick me and one other passenger up for a trip to St Pancras Low Level, and I make my way to Kings Cross where I expect to get something decent to eat. After all, they spent all that money on doing the place up to make it as posh as St Pancras, surely they should have somewhere acceptable? Turns out that no, I found nothing I really wanted but I settled with an 8" classic hotdog from some place upstairs for £4.95. It was OK, but sure wasn't worth the money. What happened to Burger King and the like? If they've left them in the arrivals area, what's the flaming point in that? Fortunately I have just enough time to race up platform 5 and get the number of the 91 at the head of the 1800 to Edinburgh, it being winner 91130. Wanted this train in particular as it was non-stop to York, although mNRE suggests it'll be tight to make it to Sheffield for my trains of choice.

A lengthy convey of GBRf 66s are noted on the yard at Peterborough as we absolutely belt it through there. Couldn't ID many of them, but this is how we should be doing things more often on the ECML. Less of this stopping every train at Peterborough and Doncaster, indeed it's fair to say as I type this I've got a big grin on my face as I remember the occasion :D 91128 is seen heading a northbound East Coast service on the Stamford line a bit before Helpston Junction, looked mighty odd as if it was some Kings Cross to Leicester service or something! In several places it's been a bumpy ride as we race north, but belting it through Doncaster was also nice. We arrive in just 1 hour and 45 minutes, not bad for a journey of something like 188 miles and 40 chains! A bottle of Dr Pepper, a multipack of Kit Kat Chunky and a new Bic pen are got from Whistlestop after an ATM move. Colas Rail's 66849 was seen heading north just before the HST rolled in for London, a winner sight! 43309+43310 are in charge of the 2003 to London, with 310 a winner for my leap to Doncaster. Some harsh braking to be held a bit before Doncaster, man it's been ages since I last smelled that smell!

Woah, a 185 on an all shacks to Sheffield wasn't expecting that! 185127 is dud but a necessary move. 47790+832 were noted passing northwards at 2059 through Swinton, first time I've seen the Northern Belle with 47s. A pair of Voyagers pass us just before Rotherham Central, not sure if that's the PSUL working or not. I see the rebuilding work has been completed here, was looking a right dump when I came through here last year! 142021 is dud on the 2144 to Retford, and as we approached Sheffield I realised I could have bailed at Meadowhall to pick up the 142 from there [the 2144 from Sheffield to Retford is a through train from Huddersfield - Ed] and scoop the shack. Bit late then! I thought it said 142027 as I got on it, good thing I relooked at Retford! Having done the one bit of single track leading to Retford High Level, it was time to do the other one coming from platform 2 to rejoin the Sheffield to Lincoln line. Off we go on time at 2245, this time only as far as Worksop for me. The curve is incredibly tight, we really struggled to get around it! Now VERY close to finishing the Northern empire, and having finished Greater Anglia and Southern earlier it's been a very good day!

Back at Worksop, the walk to the Travelodge is around 25 minutes and despite having directions written down I still required the map on my phone. After checking in it was time for the usual evening procedures, and I try watching The Big Bang Theory. I say try as the channel was having problems and so I didn't see much of either episode. I collapse into sleep around 0100, it's been a very long day! So then, the day's review and stats:

Lots of winners and mileage, with a good amount of track done and even some winners for sight. I score the day at 9/10, so the stats:

Day 12 mileage: 459 miles and 23 chains
Mileage move of the day: 188 miles and 40 chains on 91130
Bus stop move of the day: 1 mile and 12 chains on 376009
Best bit: Finally getting the Southern network finished I'm going with
Worst bit: The long waits on Barnehurst Curve
Bargain of the day: Going to say that coffee at Slade Green, not a massive cup but it was worth £1 for sure.
Rip-off of the day: That hot dog, terribly unfilling and unsatisfactory. At least the Little Thief meal was tasty and very filling, even if it was very expensive, but I had better value for money out of that than the place at Kings Cross. Note to self, don't bother again!

Days 13 and 14 are due soon, I'm going to get a drink then carry on with day 13. If I can, I'll do number 14 too.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
more, more, more!
Agree about all the posh nosh at KGX, BK is still by far the best!
Well done on nearly finishing northern, thats an achievment as is finishing southern and GA. Great report, thanks so much for doing it, its an amazing read and really given me the taist of doing one!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Alrighty then, having had a break from typing that included having some UK Dr Pepper and shopping for some Dr Pepper Cherry from the USA and the 2003 Hulk movie on Amazon (as you do), here comes day 13!

16th June 2012 - All Line Rover, Day 13

0700 and the alarm makes me jump out of my skin! For a change the de-rancifying process is carried out this morning vice last night, and following a coffee I leave at 0745. Can't believe it's the penultimate day already, how fast this fortnight's gone [and how many weeks it's taken to write this up thus far... - Ed] Nowt open in town for ages for breakfast, at least 0830 which is no good to me. Turned out to be a bonus for me, as I visit the cafe on Worksop station and get a decent, freshly cooked breakfast of beans, sausages, bacon and toast, combined with a big coffee for £4.20. One of those tiny bacon rolls and a large coffee with Bite card discount would have been £2.83 in Pumpkin, so I think I did extremely well and I ensured I complimented the chef on the delicious meal. As I had been in a queue for food, I had to wolf it down me a fair bit to ensure I got the train, thankfully Northern were running late this morning. To devour the food in just 7 minutes was pretty tough going, and the 0832 to Cleethorpes leaves a few minutes late to my advantage with 153358 winning on the first train of the day. Seemed strange to have this exact same working last year (just starting at Sheffield that time) with a 153 one number lower than 2011's experience, dunno why it felt odd but merr.

We arrive into Retford at 0844 so plenty of time to make the 0852 to London Kings Cross, which provides 91108 and a need for a pen of bright coloured ink to come out for the leap to Newark North Gate. I get off here as it doesn't stop at Grantham, but the following train does from here. Noticed too at Worksop when I got there last night that there was a service dead on midnight going non-stop to Nottingham apparently. Never heard of it before. 15 91s now in the book, complaints of duddage followed as 43318+43300 were on it and dud from many years ago. It's all mileage though and it's only a short leap to Grantham anyway. When we get there, it's time to visit my favourite coffee shop on all of the UK railway network, Pumpkin for a large coffee. After a bit of a dull fester for half an hour, the next train to Peterborough is in and I can finally colour in Grantham as a visited shack in the Baker. Winner 43257 is on the front, dud 43277 on the rear and I wonder just how many times I've been to/from/through Peterborough this week. We're there in no time at all and with dud 91113 on the 1051 to Leeds, I'm glad to have a backup plan!

A medium tea (I know, it's practically sacrilege for me not to have had coffee!) is had to pass the time a bit and to get more refreshed. If only tea had as much caffeine in it as coffee I'd be laughing [or if it had the same levels of energy as Monster... - Ed]. Thankfully my patience pays off as I get winner 91115 on the 1115 to Edinburgh. Winner winner, chicken dinner! I update the moves thus far in the moves book and tick off the visited Travelodges in my new list, as I appear to have lost my old one. 23 down, over 437 to go! 91118 appears to be waiting to go into the works at Doncaster, new paint job possibly? Time next to get a PSUL move in, with 180105 on the 1048 London Kings Cross to Bradford Interchange with Grand Central. This service on Saturdays is booked to traverse the route via Hare Park Junction to Wakefield Kirkgate. Much faster than the one via Pontefract, won't be long until that gets ditched if you ask me. Hare Park Junction to Oakenshaw Junction cleared, all that's left to do is Heaton Lodge Junction to Bradley Wood Junction to finish the Grand Central network. The same bit also finishes the Northern empire too...

At 1302, it's time to go "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" as we pass over Bradley Wood Junction, which is when I finally clear both the Grand Central and Northern networks! Just a few PSUL bits to do, mostly on light rail and SET I think, and that's the lot done! Obviously not including freight and preserved railways. Most of the remaining track in the UK will take some planning to get done now, but I'm VERY happy with my progress! After finally arriving into platform 2 (winner!) at Bradford Interchange at 1333, it's time for a large coffee from Pumpkin to celebrate! Time for this to play - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Io0DLo_G90 - as part of the celebrations! I also have a full collector card now, no doubt it'll be redeemed tomorrow. 158757 is dud but the next train to Leeds isn't for ages yet. I jump on then for the 20 minute journey to Leeds City's p8c. High time I got some food down me, it's been a long time since breakfast (nearly 5.5 hours)! A popcorn chicken snackbox for £1.99 does an excellent job of filling me up, and I go to p6 to join what I discovered was 43312+43296 on the 1440 to London Kings Cross.

I had thought 43296 was required, as I had no line under it in my NREA, however this turns out to be incorrect when I cross-referenced my Class 43 haulages on RailMiles with the NREA. I then remembered having 43296 years ago during a Tyne Valley diversions weekend. As it turned out, a lot of my EC power cars that I thought were winners this week actually turned out to be dud! And I've now since discovered EMT have given EC two more power cars, and of course they're renumbered too so another two to chase down for sight and find for haulage! Will it never end! The NREA is suitably updated, and I now need 6 more EC power cars for haulage (8 after those ex-EMT ones). Getting better, and the 1505 to London was 43257+277, dud from this morning so just as well I didn't go for that either. I consider bailing at Doncaster for a potential winner from there, alas no chance as the next one is the 1505 from Leeds. Oh well, mileage move it is then! Time then too to do some more of this write-up as I'm way behind with it again! Doncaster sees us arrive in platform 1, good news for me as I needed the northern part of the platform.

The journey flies by like no tomorrow, we're already in Peterborough! Lots of GBRf 66s about again, took some effort to write them all down accurately, tidily and quickly! New Southgate signals the time to get ready to alight, an absolute belter of a journey and I vow to go to Leeds via London and East Coast next time I have a need to do so. Only 2 hours and 10 minutes, not bad for the distance! If only it felt that short a time between Manchester and Leeds...Had a lot of good East Coast experiences this fortnight, makes a change from previous experience on the ECML! We arrive into platform 1 at 1651, and I'm thankfully near the concourse end. A brisk walk sees me, in just 11 minutes, arrive at Euston and sitting down on 390017 on the 1707 to Liverpool Lime Street. Try doing that on the Tube!

Right, back soon for the rest of day 13 and the final day, at long last!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Then you're in luck, as now I've had a rather monsterous roast pork dinner I'm going to do some more typing. Be warned I'm really sick of doing trip reports, so no I'm not doing one for a while after this! Hopefully other people have been persuaded to do some for a while now, indeed I've noticed someone did one recently having been inspired by this one :D Let's finish day 13, then I'm going to have some more Smirnoff and Dr Pepper before smashing my way through day 14!

16th June 2012 - All Line Rover, Day 13 continued

390017 is dud, but merr. Plenty of 378s are noted but I'm still unable to find my last 378, 378210, for sight before we leave the DC lines. Time for some tunes again as we tilt and belt it up the WCML! More writing up is done and we fly along to Nuneaton. Sure didn't feel like 55 minutes! I can't help myself though, I flail the epic tilt as we pass through Rugby! Bloody good fun this, bring on the potential 390 bash tomorrow! Another stop at Stafford before it's take off time again. Trip report is all caught up with a bit after Norton Bridge, which was most pleasing. At 1837 we're not far away from Merseyside, hard to believe we got there so fast! There were three Freightliner 86s next to each other on Crewe LNWR, dunno if I needed any of them. I see there was a charter in the station, no wonder there was a considerable group on the south end of the platforms. Dunno when the shop opened, but I didn't hear any announcements however I see it was open now. Never mind, tad late for me. 390122 is noted on Downhill CS, another one done.

We arrive 2 late somehow at 1919, but I still say we did well to cover the 194 miles in 2 hours and 13 minutes! It's finally tea time, 5 hours since the light lunch. Not much choice around, so I end up in Burger King for the first time in a few days. Normal size version of my usual meal to my own surprise, although it took forever as not one of the front end staff were in a rush at all. They wouldn't last more than a few minutes at my workplace...After devouring the meal, I join 158847 and 158806, the latter a winner, on the 1952 to Nottingham for the leap to Widnes. Just 3 more EMT 158s to get by the looks of it, not bad. The walk to the Travelodge took half an hour and it's all the usual evening procedures before getting hungry again and raiding the vending machine in the reception, getting a Twirl bar for 80p. The Big Bang Theory's on a bit earlier than usual tonight, and after watching the double bill (I see the giffgaff sponsor ad finally changed then!), it's off to sleep around midnight. So then, the day's review and stats...

All in all, a brilliant day. Finally finished the non-PSUL UK railway mainline network, two TOC networks in one day too. SET will be finished one day when I get the PSUL moves done. Some winners and a good bit of mileage today, can't believe tomorrow's the last day of the bash! :cry: Only feels like I've been away for a few days and not a fortnight! Score for the day of 9/10, which leaves the stats:

Day 13 mileage: 596m46c
Mileage move of the day: 193m52c on 390017
Bus stop move of the day: 7m51c on 153358
Best bit: Finishing the non-PSUL UK railway mainline network! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D<D
Worst bit: The seemingly forever walk in Widnes
Bargain of the day: The breakfast in Worksop, amazing quality for the price
Rip off of the day: None to speak of.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
T'was indeed a good day out, and now it's time to finish this damn trip report. Might treat myself to some Dynasty Warriors afterwards, although I've still stuff like updating my tidy copy of the Baker, dating the track bashed in my Track to Cover list and putting the miles and chains figures in for some hundreds of moves in the moves book. Then of course there's things like uploading photos and captioning them all, then the video eventually...Anyway, before I put myself off doing these any further, let's smash out day 14:

17th June 2012 - All Line Rover, Day 14 - Final day!

After getting a jolly good sleep, it's time to get up at 0730. Usual morning procedures follow and I leave at 0809. The walk to the station takes 20 minutes this time, having managed to identify a couple of bits where I could save time. I also didn't have to keep referring to the map on my phone either. 5 minutes away from the station and the rain really starts coming down, so I got rather wet! <( The first train of the day through Widnes eventually arrives, and I had considered a leap to Hough Green for the shack scratch, but as the train was 5 minutes late (142013+066 for the record) the plus would have been a pretty much +/-0, no chance then! 150150 provides the first win of the day on the 0853 to Manchester Oxford Road, which I take to Warrington Central. By the time we get there, the rain's died off and I go to McDonalds for breakfast. The bacon roll breakfast meal for £3.19 went down beautifully, and the coffee was seriously welcome now too.

I end up going the wrong way to the station, but I resort once more to the maps function on my phone and I end up going only slightly further than necessary, arriving still with plenty of time. 70013+70010 top and tail an engineers train, 013 being a winner for sight. Glad for that reason I got up early for that, just as much so for winner 390136 on the 0954 to Preston. Another swift journey and we arrive 6 up at 1016 to my surprise. Plenty of time to get a coffee from Pumpkin, redeeming my collector card. Definitely no train until 1052 to Glasgow, but the time flies by somehow. 390018 is dud on the Glasgow service, but a mandatory move, so I find my seat in coach B as I want to be near the front for a quick bail but not in the Quiet Coach so as to put some tunes on. Hopefully we arrive a little early so I can make the 1318 to East Kilbride, although it only being a +1 seems incredibly unlikely. I get started on the remaining paperwork for the trip as there's plenty of time. Scenery and tilting keep distracting me though, and nothing I could ID on DRS' Kingmoor depot was required, starting to wonder when I'll finish my DRS 66s for sight! With everything else done by Lockerbie, it's just buses and tampers to tick off.

We arrive at 1318, 1 down. That'll be because we were slowed for Abington loop to begrudingly let some steam loco enter it [there's a dirty joke in that, couldn't think of a better way of putting it... - Ed] on a trial run then, thank you so very much...Greggs is visited instead for a sausage, bean and cheese pasty, typically of Greggs it isn't very warm [I thought it was meant to be 'Ready when you are', according to the advert - Ed], and the coffee is from Bagel Factory for 99p, with a free refill later if I keep my receipt. You'll be damn sure of that! Leaping time then as my next planned train isn't until 1418, just as well as I get winner 318266 on a leap to Partick for 318253 also winning back. Didn't see my last 320s sadly, one day! Anderston is closed today, maybe every Sunday? Seemed quite strange. Back upstairs, away from the ancient brown and white colours on the low level lines, I go to platform 10 for winners 156509+456 on the 1418 to East Kilbride, with an army of squawking brats behind me. So glad I'm only on this to Pollokshaws West! You're probably wondering why I'm making such a fuss about this line, well it's because the normal route was closed somewhere in the Pollockshields area (without getting my atlas out, that's as accurately as I can be sorry!), so we're diverted to Polmadie then reverse and crossover to Larkfield Junction for our booked route today to Muirhouse South Junction.

Well worth the effort, just need to try and get the other bits one day. A small step closer to clearing the UK freight railway network! A 10 minute wait rewards me with 156510+476, 510 a winner and my 40th 156 for haulage on the 1448 to Glasgow Central. We go via the same route, but instead of crossing to the slow lines next to Polmadie depot, we reverse on the fasts and stay there to reach winning platform 9 at Glasgow Central. Had to put up with some chavvy brats though, great. I claim my refill at Bagel Factory [and at this point I'm on the last side of A4 of this infernal trip report! Can you tell I'm sick of it now? - Ed] and visit West Cornwall Pasty for a medium traditional pasty for £3.65. Dear for what it is, and I swear they used to take Bite cards, but they didn't on this occasion at least. It was a mighty fine filler mind! The 1536 to London Euston is next and is 390141, a winner! Off we go on one of the last three trains of the fortnight, won't be seeing Scotland again for a fair while either :( We come to a halt with the back part of the train over Logan Road level crossing for a couple of minutes, no explanation given.

More brats on this train [seriously, did they have some sort of special offer for them to travel today or something?! - Ed] so it's time to rip out some tunes. After seeing the last of Scotland for the time being (still not organised a trip up there yet), I confirm with myself that none of my last 3 DRS 66s are viewable on Kingmoor. After Carlisle, it's deemed to be coffee time so I go to the shop as I am so sick of water at the moment! £1.95 gets me a coffee and the Virgin recruitment process obviously works well, as the guy here was really happy and friendly, engaging me in conversation about various things and I left quite happy with his customer service skills. I need Monster and Rockstar to get that happy! The coffee's obviously been working out and built up some muscles, as when I put the stirrer sticks in it they stood up on their own! It tasted mighty fine too, better than the FGW coffee does. The sky's blue and the sun's shining down on us after Lancaster, a stark contrast to this morning! As I write this, it's 1803 and I fail to believe how fast the journey's gone!

After Warrington Bank Quay it's non-stop to London Euston, and as much as I'd love to stay on board I can't, so when we arrive at 1820 I get off and have around 15 minutes to wait for 221109 on a Birmingham service. I spend much of this time chatting with a mate of mine on the train, and I forgot we were to be routed via Bescot. First time I've had a Voyager via this route and a bit of extra mileage! We arrive 1 up at 2006 and it's time for tea. Burger King will do, and I get a double cheeseburger King of the Day deal for £3.99. We part ways for him to go back to work and I join dud 172339 on the 2100 to Hereford, the last train of the day to the city [yes, really, it's a city! - Ed] and the last train of the fortnight :cry: I ended the 7 day ALR in 2011 on this same journey and it was a 150, how times and things change...Time for some tunes to celebrate a bloody good bash as I finish updating the moves book and trip report. When we roll into Worcester Shrub Hill, I'm definitely back on home territory and that causes disappointment and other negative feelings. I arrive around 2225 and get a lift home. Time then for the final day and the fortnight's review:

A flipping brilliant day with 7 winners, lots of mileage and some rare track. Thoroughly enjoyable day and for the most part, things like the rubbish sleep on sleepers being the big exception, the fortnight away was also thoroughly enjoyable. If I could, I'd do another 14 day ALR starting tomorrow! It's been an expensive time, but it's been so much fun those figures aren't important. If I could do this sort of thing for a living, I'd be in heaven. As someone put it to me later on during the journey, the £1,120.50 for 2 weeks of heaven isn't bad at all! When I return to work the grimness of reality will really strike hard. The only thing I'd do differently is not book sleepers, so not worth the extra mileage. The cost of the trip could have been far higher, if I'd not stopped drinking during week 2! Payday is only a few days away thankfully, but merr. Finally then, let's add some stats:

Day 14 mileage: 593m37c
Mileage move of the day: 219m23c on 390141
Bus stop move of the day: 2m12c on 318266 and 318253
Best bit: Getting the freight track in in the Glasgow area
Worst bit: Having to come home :cry:
Bargain of the day: The coffee from Bagel Factory, two coffees for 99p!
Rip-off of the day: The pasty, although nice, wasn't worth the best part of £4!

For 2011's ALR I did things like Move of the Week, but that's been made redundant with the statistics bits I think. There's been a very large number of highlights, to list them all would take ages. I had originally been going to do a list of every class I travelled on and how many I did on each of them, and how many miles I did with each TOC, as well as a couple of other random stats. However that'll take ages and I've lost the interest in that. The final stat I will share is:

Mileage for the fortnight: 8,607 miles and 50 chains.

1,392 miles and 30 chains off my target, but I'm still happy with that.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
you know something I'm about as sad at coming to the end of that as you were at getting home! Its been a truly amazing report which I for one are glad you wrote and really hope you do another soon! You did a lot of things I would do and thats given me a taste for doing one myself. Better start saving though me thinks. :)

T'was indeed a good day out, and now it's time to finish this damn trip report. Might treat myself to some Dynasty Warriors afterwards, although I've still stuff like updating my tidy copy of the Baker, dating the track bashed in my Track to Cover list and putting the miles and chains figures in for some hundreds of moves in the moves book. Then of course there's things like uploading photos and captioning them all, then the video eventually...Anyway, before I put myself off doing these any further, let's smash out day 14:

17th June 2012 - All Line Rover, Day 14 - Final day!

After getting a jolly good sleep, it's time to get up at 0730. Usual morning procedures follow and I leave at 0809. The walk to the station takes 20 minutes this time, having managed to identify a couple of bits where I could save time. I also didn't have to keep referring to the map on my phone either. 5 minutes away from the station and the rain really starts coming down, so I got rather wet! <( The first train of the day through Widnes eventually arrives, and I had considered a leap to Hough Green for the shack scratch, but as the train was 5 minutes late (142013+066 for the record) the plus would have been a pretty much +/-0, no chance then! 150150 provides the first win of the day on the 0853 to Manchester Oxford Road, which I take to Warrington Central. By the time we get there, the rain's died off and I go to McDonalds for breakfast. The bacon roll breakfast meal for £3.19 went down beautifully, and the coffee was seriously welcome now too.

I end up going the wrong way to the station, but I resort once more to the maps function on my phone and I end up going only slightly further than necessary, arriving still with plenty of time. 70013+70010 top and tail an engineers train, 013 being a winner for sight. Glad for that reason I got up early for that, just as much so for winner 390136 on the 0954 to Preston. Another swift journey and we arrive 6 up at 1016 to my surprise. Plenty of time to get a coffee from Pumpkin, redeeming my collector card. Definitely no train until 1052 to Glasgow, but the time flies by somehow. 390018 is dud on the Glasgow service, but a mandatory move, so I find my seat in coach B as I want to be near the front for a quick bail but not in the Quiet Coach so as to put some tunes on. Hopefully we arrive a little early so I can make the 1318 to East Kilbride, although it only being a +1 seems incredibly unlikely. I get started on the remaining paperwork for the trip as there's plenty of time. Scenery and tilting keep distracting me though, and nothing I could ID on DRS' Kingmoor depot was required, starting to wonder when I'll finish my DRS 66s for sight! With everything else done by Lockerbie, it's just buses and tampers to tick off.

We arrive at 1318, 1 down. That'll be because we were slowed for Abington loop to begrudingly let some steam loco enter it [there's a dirty joke in that, couldn't think of a better way of putting it... - Ed] on a trial run then, thank you so very much...Greggs is visited instead for a sausage, bean and cheese pasty, typically of Greggs it isn't very warm [I thought it was meant to be 'Ready when you are', according to the advert - Ed], and the coffee is from Bagel Factory for 99p, with a free refill later if I keep my receipt. You'll be damn sure of that! Leaping time then as my next planned train isn't until 1418, just as well as I get winner 318266 on a leap to Partick for 318253 also winning back. Didn't see my last 320s sadly, one day! Anderston is closed today, maybe every Sunday? Seemed quite strange. Back upstairs, away from the ancient brown and white colours on the low level lines, I go to platform 10 for winners 156509+456 on the 1418 to East Kilbride, with an army of squawking brats behind me. So glad I'm only on this to Pollokshaws West! You're probably wondering why I'm making such a fuss about this line, well it's because the normal route was closed somewhere in the Pollockshields area (without getting my atlas out, that's as accurately as I can be sorry!), so we're diverted to Polmadie then reverse and crossover to Larkfield Junction for our booked route today to Muirhouse South Junction.

Well worth the effort, just need to try and get the other bits one day. A small step closer to clearing the UK freight railway network! A 10 minute wait rewards me with 156510+476, 510 a winner and my 40th 156 for haulage on the 1448 to Glasgow Central. We go via the same route, but instead of crossing to the slow lines next to Polmadie depot, we reverse on the fasts and stay there to reach winning platform 9 at Glasgow Central. Had to put up with some chavvy brats though, great. I claim my refill at Bagel Factory [and at this point I'm on the last side of A4 of this infernal trip report! Can you tell I'm sick of it now? - Ed] and visit West Cornwall Pasty for a medium traditional pasty for £3.65. Dear for what it is, and I swear they used to take Bite cards, but they didn't on this occasion at least. It was a mighty fine filler mind! The 1536 to London Euston is next and is 390141, a winner! Off we go on one of the last three trains of the fortnight, won't be seeing Scotland again for a fair while either :( We come to a halt with the back part of the train over Logan Road level crossing for a couple of minutes, no explanation given.

More brats on this train [seriously, did they have some sort of special offer for them to travel today or something?! - Ed] so it's time to rip out some tunes. After seeing the last of Scotland for the time being (still not organised a trip up there yet), I confirm with myself that none of my last 3 DRS 66s are viewable on Kingmoor. After Carlisle, it's deemed to be coffee time so I go to the shop as I am so sick of water at the moment! £1.95 gets me a coffee and the Virgin recruitment process obviously works well, as the guy here was really happy and friendly, engaging me in conversation about various things and I left quite happy with his customer service skills. I need Monster and Rockstar to get that happy! The coffee's obviously been working out and built up some muscles, as when I put the stirrer sticks in it they stood up on their own! It tasted mighty fine too, better than the FGW coffee does. The sky's blue and the sun's shining down on us after Lancaster, a stark contrast to this morning! As I write this, it's 1803 and I fail to believe how fast the journey's gone!

After Warrington Bank Quay it's non-stop to London Euston, and as much as I'd love to stay on board I can't, so when we arrive at 1820 I get off and have around 15 minutes to wait for 221109 on a Birmingham service. I spend much of this time chatting with a mate of mine on the train, and I forgot we were to be routed via Bescot. First time I've had a Voyager via this route and a bit of extra mileage! We arrive 1 up at 2006 and it's time for tea. Burger King will do, and I get a double cheeseburger King of the Day deal for £3.99. We part ways for him to go back to work and I join dud 172339 on the 2100 to Hereford, the last train of the day to the city [yes, really, it's a city! - Ed] and the last train of the fortnight :cry: I ended the 7 day ALR in 2011 on this same journey and it was a 150, how times and things change...Time for some tunes to celebrate a bloody good bash as I finish updating the moves book and trip report. When we roll into Worcester Shrub Hill, I'm definitely back on home territory and that causes disappointment and other negative feelings. I arrive around 2225 and get a lift home. Time then for the final day and the fortnight's review:

A flipping brilliant day with 7 winners, lots of mileage and some rare track. Thoroughly enjoyable day and for the most part, things like the rubbish sleep on sleepers being the big exception, the fortnight away was also thoroughly enjoyable. If I could, I'd do another 14 day ALR starting tomorrow! It's been an expensive time, but it's been so much fun those figures aren't important. If I could do this sort of thing for a living, I'd be in heaven. As someone put it to me later on during the journey, the £1,120.50 for 2 weeks of heaven isn't bad at all! When I return to work the grimness of reality will really strike hard. The only thing I'd do differently is not book sleepers, so not worth the extra mileage. The cost of the trip could have been far higher, if I'd not stopped drinking during week 2! Payday is only a few days away thankfully, but merr. Finally then, let's add some stats:

Day 14 mileage: 593m37c
Mileage move of the day: 219m23c on 390141
Bus stop move of the day: 2m12c on 318266 and 318253
Best bit: Getting the freight track in in the Glasgow area
Worst bit: Having to come home :cry:
Bargain of the day: The coffee from Bagel Factory, two coffees for 99p!
Rip-off of the day: The pasty, although nice, wasn't worth the best part of £4!

For 2011's ALR I did things like Move of the Week, but that's been made redundant with the statistics bits I think. There's been a very large number of highlights, to list them all would take ages. I had originally been going to do a list of every class I travelled on and how many I did on each of them, and how many miles I did with each TOC, as well as a couple of other random stats. However that'll take ages and I've lost the interest in that. The final stat I will share is:

Mileage for the fortnight: 8,607 miles and 50 chains.

1,392 miles and 30 chains off my target, but I'm still happy with that.

Thanks for a riveting read (all of it!!):D

CC 72100

Established Member
Well that was a truly enjoyable read, so thank you Techniquest. You may certainlt have not enjoyed writing them, but we've certainly enjoyed reading them :)

Oh, and you can't go wrong with bic pens, a year of working in a stationery shop (not too far away from yourself in Hereford) taught me that!

Thanks for writing those up, have made a very good read

noddy1878

Established Member
I haven't commented on any of this report but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! Must have been an awful come down when you went back to work! Good read!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well that was a truly enjoyable read, so thank you Techniquest. You may certainlt have not enjoyed writing them, but we've certainly enjoyed reading them :)

Oh, and you can't go wrong with bic pens, a year of working in a stationery shop (not too far away from yourself in Hereford) taught me that!

Thanks for writing those up, have made a very good read

Oh I think it's obvious that after I got about halfway through I was sick of it (think I made it perfectly clear yesterday!), but I enjoyed it before then. Usually I enjoy the typing of a trip report, always nice to have the happy memories. However, this was an entirely different monster and I was getting fed up of my having wrote loads of stuff for it. That said, it wouldn't be the same without the level of detail I went into I reckon.

Bic pens are absolutely brilliant, but to be fair so are the Morrisons ones I'm currently using. 50p and they're just awesome. Must admit I don't feel envious of your having worked in a stationery shop, although it would be a much easier job than the one I do...

Glad you enjoyed the read :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I haven't commented on any of this report but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! Must have been an awful come down when you went back to work! Good read!

Glad to hear you enjoyed reading it, and yeah it was extremely difficult going back to work. Had to take some deep breaths before walking through the doors!

Oh, and before I forget to mention it, all of those Papermate bins went to the bin a while ago. Useless things, will always buy Bic over Papermate no matter how good Papermate make their future pens!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
you know something I'm about as sad at coming to the end of that as you were at getting home! Its been a truly amazing report which I for one are glad you wrote and really hope you do another soon! You did a lot of things I would do and thats given me a taste for doing one myself. Better start saving though me thinks. :)

Oh it was sad to be home, it really was. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip report, however I doubt I'll bother to do another one for a while. Got 3 or 4 waiting in the books somewhere, but it's not going to happen for a while. Lots of work on again at the moment, however I will write one up for my Isle of Man trip in less than 2 weeks.

In my view, an ALR is a totally different bash and doing trips like the one to Sheffield last month for the Supertram was incredibly dull and unexciting afterwards. The restrictions on travel really weren't much fun, I'd got used to the epic freedom the ALR gives. Day rangers will probably go some way to helping me get used to it again, but doing a WMDR just leaves me thinking "Ugh, why bother, that'll be boring" so I'm struggling to decide what to do on Wednesday!

Saving will be mandatory, it's an expensive ticket and you'll need a fair bit of money for food/drink and accommodation too. I'd allocate a minimum of £750 for a 7 day ALR personally.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I'm lucky in that I can sleap on sleapers and although a bed is essential on longer runs i.e Fortwilliam to London (I need it all north of Ranoch) I think I'd manage a cupple of nights on the seats. thanks again, your latest Irish bash would be a grand one to read when your less busy.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Strangely the Harringworth viaduct seems more impressive going South to North as opposed to North to South - though it does look much better viewed from a distance from the road as opposed to crossing it by train. Maybe you should give it a try on the coming bank holiday weekend when the panniers will be crossing it.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
No can do, I'm working on the Saturday and the Monday. Too much effort for a very boring railway I've already done (although could do with the northbound track for the Quail) on the Sunday, not to mention the expense!

Status
Not open for further replies.