• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tech's off to the Big Apple! - Advice etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Which airline are you going with?

SkyScanner and Google Flights are good for quick pricing. Check pricing then book direct with the airline if you can get the same price. Use a credit card for additional protect.

Flying via Dublin as the advantage of clearing US immigration before you fly. Can save hours of queuing in New York. I was 1.5 waiting hours last time I landed in Newark.

me123

Established Member
Re. flights - don't forget that Newark, NJ, airport is about the same distance from Manhattan as JFK airport is, so worth considering if you can get a better deal on flights.

That said, the train schedule from Newark Airport station is a bit hit and miss. I think it's three or four trains an hour, all within 20 minutes or something, so I was waiting for over half an hour. The trains are also more difficult with luggage. I'd still use it if I was going to Newark, but I found the subway from JFK to be more user friendly all in all.

The Subway journeys are long, but given that a cab from JFK is $52, + tip, + surcharges, + tolls... it's a lot of money. And given the traffic, it's often not much/any quicker.

Flying via Dublin as the advantage of clearing US immigration before you fly. Can save hours of queuing in New York. I was 1.5 waiting hours last time I landed in Newark.

Highly agreed. Aer Lingus are a great, full service airline on the long haul segment. I've found their fares to be some of the best, and pre-clearing in Dublin is a fantastic boost. The connection times tend to be excellent. One trip I had, I had a one hour connection at Dublin, used it to get through customs, and had time to spare before boarding. Once in America, I was on the Subway within 20 minutes of stepping off the plane.

If you are going Aer Lingus, consider splashing out on the upgraded meals. At about £20 a head, it is pricy, but they are huge and really tasty. And, when you look at what everyone around you is eating, far superior quality. (The standard meals were decent enough in fairness).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well it took much longer than planned (just over 5 hours) to get to the flights and accommodation being booked!

We're flying Norwegian from Gatwick to JFK and back. What you don't find out on Skyscanner is how much extra the flight actually is! 302 each quoted, which is a bargain in my eyes. Umm, yeah, then 25 quid each way on baggage, then 25 quid each way on seat reservations. Granted, we did get the seats nearest exits so normal seats may have been a bit cheaper. 9 quid for cancellation policy, which was just common sense. Getting those seats was deemed essential for leg room so worth paying extra!

We booked the Lowfare+ as that was 50 quid (each way) more than Lowfare and included seat reservations, baggage and two meals per flight. Without that option, it was apparently cold snacks only on board. On a long flight that wasn't going to cut it. In this instance the meals were basically free as the 50 quid covered the rest anyway. Once I realised that I went back and upgraded my choice of fare. I'm not sure I fancy the food yet, but the drinks will be more than welcome, as will the free WiFi!

418.30 each it came to in the end, not bad when you look at it as 209.15 each way, for the distance that's incredible!

We looked at flying via Dublin, but the standard air fare each (before extras like seat reservations!) was about 568 quid. Queuing at immigration/customs/whatever it's called didn't occur to me, could be unhelpful having booked a flight due to land at 2030!

Accommodation, we simply couldn't find owt we were happy with, so we checked out Airbnb. We found quite a nice apartment in Brooklyn for 284 quid for both of us, for 5 nights. In the middle of typing this (having major issues sleeping at the moment, hence this post at silly o' clock!) I get confirmation that our host of choice is willing to accept our booking, happy days!

My magic plastic is pretty much full after all that, although 142 quid will be coming back from James for his share of the accommodation.

Next big thing to do is the ESTA form, then faint in shock when the statement for the plastic comes through later this month!

noddy1878

Established Member
I can't add much more than others have added, but when I went to the states a couple of years ago i loved it. We were in San Francisco (which is second to New York in cost apparently) and we did see how much more it was there so be prepared. The advice of getting a credit card which doesn't add a fee for foreign transactions is good (we got a Post Office one). Secondly if your contract is up on your phone, maybe worth looking at 3 as you can use your allowance in other countries (the states is included in the list). I pay £15 a month for unlimited data and would have been handy for me two years ago! Wifi was quite common though but a faff! Jealous you are going!

carriageline

Established Member
Hope you enjoy this!! I'm going end of November for 6 days and I cannot wait! This thread is really helping

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I am seriously toying with going to 3 in January but need to make sure the coverage is somewhere near decent in my area first. Only 3 months and 6 days until my contract ends with EE!

I shall look into the non-fee credit card, certainly not using my Barclaycard over there as the fees will be crazy!

I've always wanted to do San Francisco too, for the trams of course! It has been a long-held desire to do The South West Chief throughout, but I'd then be torn with getting off at the stop nearest the Grand Canyon to see that!

This thread has been an enormous help to me, it must be said. Lots to take on board in the coming months, and thankfully at the moment I have plenty of overtime coming my way to help pay for it all!

fowler9

Established Member
I used pre paid credit cards in Australia and New Zealand. Worked brilliantly.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Sorry to bring this thread back up, but I'm sure you'll forgive me for it eventually! In just 36 days at this time, we'll be at Gatwick waiting for boarding. Crikey it really isn't far away now, I'm getting nervous but equally I cannot wait!

So, some updates since October:

I ended up on o2 after an emergency need to change phones in November. Which reminds me, I still need to make Orange aren't still taking money, same for the phone insurance I had with them actually! I need to get in touch with o2 in the coming days to ensure my phone will be set up to be used in New York, should be easy enough though.

I have a small bag purely for use on a daily basis in New York, which I still owe my sister a fiver for. I must remember to deal with that actually! PacSafe bags seemed way OTT to me, although the muggers wallet thing still seems wise. I must get that looked at properly this week.

Our flight is due in at 2030 New York time, so we'll no doubt be in a long immigration queue. Expectations and Worst Case Scenario is to be out 2 hours later, and by then (bear in mind we'll be setting out from James' around 0800, 0650 if we choose to go for the 0734 from Hereford) we'll be shattered and more than ready to get to base camp. So a taxi looks more than ideal for that stretch, and quite frankly at that time of night traffic should be reasonable. Which reminds me to discuss this with James tomorrow, as it'll be very much in addition to the daily budgets we're working on sorting.

Talking of, we're looking at one of those currency card things. Sainsburys seem to have the best deal, but again we're going to make a final decision on this by next Thursday. I've got my spending money pretty much sorted it seems.

I've finally looked at WikiVoyage, although as it's an enormous page I've only quickly looked at most of it. The pizza slices and the hot dogs from the street vendors are simply going to have to be visited!

Found a couple of Walmarts in Brooklyn, that'll be useful for sure. I doubt the easy ones to get to will be overly big but that'll be handy for supply raids!

I've finally looked properly too at those commuter railway maps too. Metro North Railroad. I have a feeling we'll have a go on the Hudson Line, there's a station I fancy visiting purely for the name there. I'll not give it away yet, it may have to be done in the trip report and on Twitter at the time ;)

Secaucus Junction on the NJ Transit line certainly looks like it would be busy indeed! Long Island Rail Road appears to have a terminus in Brooklyn, so I'm wondering what might use it?

At this time I'm definitely looking at a short journey we can do on a loco hauled journey. I know neither of us will be flush enough to afford a ride out to Boston, as nice as it would be to do. The idea being something reasonably cheap as well as being a train that screams to the people at work and home that this is an American train and we got to have a ride on it!

Penn Station is like Birmingham New Street pre-refurb? Count me in! :D I don't like the new New Street, and only use it because I have to, being unable to wait to get out of there!

It's worth noting I'm not overly worried about route coverage while I'm over there, although naturally any and all coverage and new haulages will be more than welcome.

High Line looks like it'll be a good thing to see for sure, I'm well keen on that. Hopefully the weather will be decent enough for it, certainly will fill an entire afternoon without any effort. Easy enough to get to/from as well.

We've settled on our choice of attractions, which are going to be Empire State Building, Top of the Rock and Intrepid, including the space shuttle of course. Naturally we're also doing the Ellis Island ferry too. Central Park will be needed to be explored too. I'm sure we'll find a few other bits too, no doubt.

As for ESTAs, they were done easily, but now we need to get on with adding them to the API thing with Norwegian. Passport number adding should be easy enough, but I'm not so sure about the ESTA thing. I'll come back to that in the next few days I'm sure. I assume you need to print the ESTA off and take it with you, which we've already done thankfully.

We've already been able to print off boarding passes, which was a surprise. One less thing to worry about at least!

Finally for now, we don't need to tip shop staff do we? Just those in service duties (waiters, that sort of thing)? As for sales tax, if we add 10% to whatever the price is shown as, that should be basically it? I just need to make sure we get basics worked out like that soon, so we're not worrying on the way there!

Which I think basically covers everything for now!

NY Yankee

Hi all,

Sorry to bring this thread back up, but I'm sure you'll forgive me for it eventually! In just 36 days at this time, we'll be at Gatwick waiting for boarding. Crikey it really isn't far away now, I'm getting nervous but equally I cannot wait!

So, some updates since October:

I ended up on o2 after an emergency need to change phones in November. Which reminds me, I still need to make Orange aren't still taking money, same for the phone insurance I had with them actually! I need to get in touch with o2 in the coming days to ensure my phone will be set up to be used in New York, should be easy enough though.

I have a small bag purely for use on a daily basis in New York, which I still owe my sister a fiver for. I must remember to deal with that actually! PacSafe bags seemed way OTT to me, although the muggers wallet thing still seems wise. I must get that looked at properly this week.

Our flight is due in at 2030 New York time, so we'll no doubt be in a long immigration queue. Expectations and Worst Case Scenario is to be out 2 hours later, and by then (bear in mind we'll be setting out from James' around 0800, 0650 if we choose to go for the 0734 from Hereford) we'll be shattered and more than ready to get to base camp. So a taxi looks more than ideal for that stretch, and quite frankly at that time of night traffic should be reasonable. Which reminds me to discuss this with James tomorrow, as it'll be very much in addition to the daily budgets we're working on sorting.

Talking of, we're looking at one of those currency card things. Sainsburys seem to have the best deal, but again we're going to make a final decision on this by next Thursday. I've got my spending money pretty much sorted it seems.

I've finally looked at WikiVoyage, although as it's an enormous page I've only quickly looked at most of it. The pizza slices and the hot dogs from the street vendors are simply going to have to be visited!

Found a couple of Walmarts in Brooklyn, that'll be useful for sure. I doubt the easy ones to get to will be overly big but that'll be handy for supply raids!

I've finally looked properly too at those commuter railway maps too. Metro North Railroad. I have a feeling we'll have a go on the Hudson Line, there's a station I fancy visiting purely for the name there. I'll not give it away yet, it may have to be done in the trip report and on Twitter at the time ;)

Secaucus Junction on the NJ Transit line certainly looks like it would be busy indeed! Long Island Rail Road appears to have a terminus in Brooklyn, so I'm wondering what might use it?

At this time I'm definitely looking at a short journey we can do on a loco hauled journey. I know neither of us will be flush enough to afford a ride out to Boston, as nice as it would be to do. The idea being something reasonably cheap as well as being a train that screams to the people at work and home that this is an American train and we got to have a ride on it!

Penn Station is like Birmingham New Street pre-refurb? Count me in! :D I don't like the new New Street, and only use it because I have to, being unable to wait to get out of there!

It's worth noting I'm not overly worried about route coverage while I'm over there, although naturally any and all coverage and new haulages will be more than welcome.

High Line looks like it'll be a good thing to see for sure, I'm well keen on that. Hopefully the weather will be decent enough for it, certainly will fill an entire afternoon without any effort. Easy enough to get to/from as well.

We've settled on our choice of attractions, which are going to be Empire State Building, Top of the Rock and Intrepid, including the space shuttle of course. Naturally we're also doing the Ellis Island ferry too. Central Park will be needed to be explored too. I'm sure we'll find a few other bits too, no doubt.

As for ESTAs, they were done easily, but now we need to get on with adding them to the API thing with Norwegian. Passport number adding should be easy enough, but I'm not so sure about the ESTA thing. I'll come back to that in the next few days I'm sure. I assume you need to print the ESTA off and take it with you, which we've already done thankfully.

We've already been able to print off boarding passes, which was a surprise. One less thing to worry about at least!

Finally for now, we don't need to tip shop staff do we? Just those in service duties (waiters, that sort of thing)? As for sales tax, if we add 10% to whatever the price is shown as, that should be basically it? I just need to make sure we get basics worked out like that soon, so we're not worrying on the way there!

Which I think basically covers everything for now!

Hey, do you want to meet? I live in New York (I wish I lived in London, but that's another story). I wouldn't mind showing you around town.

My two favourite museums are the American Museum of Natural History and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I like to ride the Staten Island Ferry (which is free) and the Roosevelt Island Tram (basically a smaller version of the Emirates Cable Car). I also like to walk across the bridges (and not just the Brooklyn Bridge. The Williamsburg Bridge has a nice walkway). The East River Ferry offers a great view of the bridges. I don't recommend Central Park. It's too large and there are muggings. Instead, I like to walk along the Hudson River greenway. NYC has a larger Chinatown than London (London is still the better city). If you like cheesecake, then you can eat at Junior's.

There are many scenic train routes- the Metro-North Hudson line, the LIRR Long Beach branch, the New Jersey Transit North Jersey Coast line, the NYC Subway 7 line, as well as many others.

And don't take a taxi. It is overpriced. Instead, take the Airtrain to Jamaica station and then take the LIRR to Penn Station. This is MUCH cheaper than taking a taxi.

If you want to meet up, send me a private message.

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
Have a great time! I'm sure you'll love it - I can't imagine anyone on earth not finding at least some part of New York that they'll love. I eagerly await the trip reports!

For immigration, looking at historical data it'll be a maximum of about an hour at that time of night. Even then, the traffic could very well be bad for the taxi - it's not a flat rate if you're only going to Brooklyn so it could be around the $50 mark. The E train is obviously a lot cheaper to get to your part of Brooklyn, but I completely understand how tired you'll be! (On one trip I had, I woke at 3am on the day of the flight and didn't get to sleep until 6am the next morning UK time!)

Your pre-paid card should be OK, but as the US don't really have Chip & Pin (it's slowly rolling out AIUI) so you'll have to make sure you sign the back of it (you should do this anyway, but most people don't for some reason) and expect to sign for any purchases. You will likely require to show your passport as identification when using your card in this way. I found paying in cash to be the easiest - universally accepted, quick and easy. I didn't feel that I was likely to be robbed/mugged/pickpocketed any more than I would be in the UK. (Just use common sense that you already use in your day to day life).

In terms of tipping - you're really expected to tip 15-20% in America (yes, really). "Double the tax" is a safe bet. 10% is perfectly acceptable in the UK, but is on the low side in America. Of course, like in the UK, if you don't want to tip you don't have to, but expect your waiter to challenge this. After all, their wages are almost at third-world rates and they do rely on tips to survive. You don't need to tip shop staff.

You don't need to print off your ESTA, but I always have. I've never needed to show it to anyone (the airline and DHS will be able to confirm that you have authorisation to travel from your passport number alone) but it's handy to have just to be on the safe side - if there was to be a problem, you've got a confirmation number that might be of use, and the airline won't let you onboard unless you have authorisation to travel (which is NOT the same as clearance to enter the country - expect a brief interrogation!).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks for the advice on the ESTA, I plan to contact Norwegian and double check everything, just in case anything's changed in recent times.

I'm going to double check our route via MTA Subway and AirTrain, if we're out of JFK around half 9 that won't be too bad. We're working on about $60 for the taxi, which I believe works out around £40. Shared half and half, £20 will be worth it after a gruelling trip!

So 15% minimum tip, that's not too bad. I can work with that, even if I will need to use the calculator on my phone to work it out. Obviously if we feel they've done a really good job (which it sounds like they'll try to do, given their dire wages!) then we can ramp it up. I've gotten a bit better for tipping over here so it won't be too much of a change of habit now :lol:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yep, get a taxi from the airport, you'll be knackered. Traffic will still be bad at that time, but my last trip via Air Train and Jamaica Centre was a right pain with the bags etc. You'll need to tip the taxi driver of course.

High-Line: shouldn't take a whole afternoon. Couple of hours at most.

Central Park: I've never felt unsafe there. But, well, it's a park. There's parks at home.

Don't miss McSorely's.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Same rule for tipping taxi drivers I'd guess (15% minimum)?

Currently in a queue for Norwegian's Live Chat, as it STILL won't let me input passport numbers. I know I have up to 72 hours before the trip to do it, but it's always a technical error when I try. The longer I leave it the less likely it is it'll get done in time.

Please remind me what McSorely's does!

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I posted this about cards and cash when you first asked for advice, and it still stands. You may be running out of time to get a clarity card, though the Revolut is still the best deal for travellers. You only need WiFi to top up from your main UK account.

Plan now for taking cash: A Halifax Clarity credit card will give you the best rate for spending. A Revolut Card, which you top-up and manage from a phone app, will give you best rates for drawing out at an ATM. You can also spend on it, though the Halifax will be better as you can check and pay the bill when you're home and allow you to deal with any fraud. You can get both of these now for free and get them running before your trip.

Phone - I'm not sure which phone you have. It will cost a chunk of cash for roaming in the USA and you probably won't need the phone or the data. By all mean keep it running with data off for emergencies, but use WiFi where you can. Skype, Whatsapp and Facebook provide free messaging and calls to other users over WiFi. Download free maps of NYC before you go into Here Maps apps and use that to navigate.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Red Caboose , Book and Model Shop - 23 West 45th Street - a must visit (eccentric) store

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Cheers for the shop gen, I think I'll be planning a visit there. We're hoping to find a good sci-fi shop like we did in Stockholm, that was one helluva find by chance!

Thanks for the reminder too about that card, I'll revisit it today. As may noticeable, when I posted yesterday there was so much going through the head it was getting hard to keep track of it all!

I've finally dealt with the passport thing, what they don't tell you when adding the API is that you can only put 35 characters including spaces in the address boxes, or no commas etc. So I tried just the first part of the address and the zip code, along with the relevant passport details. Et voila, it works! It took a phone call to an 0330 number to get it done, no doubt a significant extra charge on my mobile bill. Still, it's done now.

There's no ESTA information I need to input apparently, according to Norwegian's Live Chat, but we're still going to take the printoff with us just in case.

As for phones, I have a Galaxy S5 Neo. I will be checking in with o2 on it, I seem to remember it's an easy process to set up international use on it. Skype however is a really good idea, I believe my phone has it installed. That'll save a fortune, as long as it's on WiFi of course!

Going to download Here Maps shortly and sort that out before I go to work.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Having the ESTA printout speeds things up. Trust me.

McSorleys is one of the oldest ale houses in NYC - in a great area. Must go !

Prepare to overeat - PS - Grand Central has to be visited - especially the food court down in the celler where you will get the best hot dogs on this earth , let alone authentic Brooklyn cheesecake. Enjoy.

me123

Established Member
I've never needed my ESTA print out, although I'd absolutely agree to take it with you. The airline has access to the information to determine whether or not you have authority to travel, and the DHS officer can determine whether you're eligible for the visa waiver from your passport number. There's no harm in having the printout as a backup, but it should not be needed.

One thing you should have with you is a printout of your travel itinerary/confirmation from Norwegian. I've always been asked to produce this document by the immigration officer. To be eligible for entry under the VWP you have to demonstrate plans to leave the United States within 90 days of your entry, and this is by far the easiest way of doing this.

Established Member
I've never needed my ESTA print out, although I'd absolutely agree to take it with you. The airline has access to the information to determine whether or not you have authority to travel, and the DHS officer can determine whether you're eligible for the visa waiver from your passport number. There's no harm in having the printout as a backup, but it should not be needed.

One thing you should have with you is a printout of your travel itinerary/confirmation from Norwegian. I've always been asked to produce this document by the immigration officer. To be eligible for entry under the VWP you have to demonstrate plans to leave the United States within 90 days of your entry, and this is by far the easiest way of doing this.

I must be lucky when I go to the States, no real hassle unless the immigration queue is long. They were once interested in a Turkish visa, especially as I had arrived in Istanbul from Odessa, but accepted my explanation easily enough. More recently at Seattle a machine let me in the country, didn't talk to a human at all.

Never needed to show ESTA or flight paperwork, but I had it just in case and always would.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Electronic System for Travel Authorization is the reason I will not go to the USA - because I believe it to be unfair and just another tax to fund the US government

Established Member
Electronic System for Travel Authorization is the reason I will not go to the USA - because I believe it to be unfair and just another tax to fund the US government

Your choice. Not going to argue with your beliefs. Can't help thinking you are missing a great experience though.

me123

Established Member
That's a bizarre statement. Most countries that I can think of charge a processing fee for entry visas/authorisations where they are required. To look at just a few countries, entry to China requires a visa (minimum £36pp)*, entry to Turkey requires a visa for a minimum of US$20 (you can purchase this at point of entry), entry to Canada requires an eTA ($7), entry to Australia requires a free ETA (but there is a $20 service charge), Japan charges 3000 Yen for a visa, Russia charge £35.40 + the fee for the visa you need, Egypt charge a $25 visa on arrival... I could go on. We get visa free travel to Europe that we take for granted, but if we did not have that we'd have to pay for a Schengen visa.

I assume you'll be boycotting all of these countries?

It's not uncommon to charge a processing fee for immigration documents.

It seems illogical to refuse to pay $14 for a Visa when your flight and hotel alone will contribute considerably more in US tax. $14 for two years unlimited travel (provided you are traveling for the purposes for which visa-free travel is permitted; basically, not for work and for stays <90 days) is a relatively good deal. And you only pay $4 if for any reason your application is declined.

You can, alternatively, travel without paying for an ESTA. The airline won't convey you (if they do, you'll be turned back and they'll be fined). Or you can get a Visa, which requires you to go for an interview in London and comes with a fee of $160 (B2 tourist visa).

*A Chinese transit visa for Beijing (and maybe Shanghai now) can allow free visa-free transit in Beijing for stays <72 hours.

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
I must be lucky when I go to the States, no real hassle unless the immigration queue is long.

Never needed to show ESTA or flight paperwork, but I had it just in case and always would.

Same here - they always seem to ask the 'purpose of your visit' and 'how long are you staying' but I don't think I've ever had to produce any paperwork to support it. Since you have to do API anyway, the return flight information might come up as part of the info about you on their computer screen after they scan the passport.

It does produce funny looks sometimes if they ask what you are doing during the vacation and you say 'I'm a railfan, so I'll be touring around watching trains' (or similar) - they probably put you in the 'slightly mad' box at that point...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Your choice. Not going to argue with your beliefs. Can't help thinking you are missing a great experience though.

Quite - 100% agree.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.