• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tees Valley Combined Authority planning to spend £1bn on various transport schemes

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grimsby town

Trams now may be a part of this! Unsure if this is a wind up?
It's a 'trackless tram' AKA a bus. Probably something similar to the free bus in Manchester but that doesn't sound good. Houchens boasting of getting things done quicker. I think we take too long to do things in this country but I'm worried about the lack of analysis here.

I've seen they want a train serving all stations every 5-7 minutes which is a frankly insane aim. Running a service every 15 minutes from Saltburn to Darlington and a Nunthorpe to Hartlepool stopper every 30 mins would be a sensible start. Concentrate on electrification and buying class 398s or similar and then look at new stations in a few years.

takno

Established Member

Trams now may be a part of this! Unsure if this is a wind up?
Looks like the whole kitchen sink has gone into this - it's a commitment to spend a few million doing feasibility studies for a wish list of things, some of which might be possible to build with a nominal £975m of funding which won't be forthcoming in a few years. The only real rush is to get it out before the forthcoming elections.

bearhugger

It's a 'trackless tram' AKA a bus. Probably something similar to the free bus in Manchester but that doesn't sound good. Houchens boasting of getting things done quicker. I think we take too long to do things in this country but I'm worried about the lack of analysis here.

I've seen they want a train serving all stations every 5-7 minutes which is a frankly insane aim. Running a service every 15 minutes from Saltburn to Darlington and a Nunthorpe to Hartlepool stopper every 30 mins would be a sensible start. Concentrate on electrification and buying class 398s or similar and then look at new stations in a few years.
When I read the article I thought "What's a Trackless Tram? A Bus?". Now I'm wondering if it's a rehash of the mooted Tees Valley Metro system that never got off the ground.