• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Teesside Airport: Route to Aberdeen cut by Loganair, now picked up by Eastern

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh. I ask as my mum now lives under the approach to Darlo international and while visiting the other day the Amsterdam flight flew over and did not look like a KLM liveried plane. It was plain white. Could someone else be operating the flight on behalf of KLM?
I believe it's technically KLM Cityhopper who operate the flights but their fleet is all in KLM blue and white (apart from any promotional liveries). It's possible they'd leased an aircraft or similar.
PS the biggest noise caused is by the A4 sky hawk type planes especially those that flew over in a 4 craft formation!
I don't think Draken International (the other big user of the airport, providing training services to the RAF) fly A4s from Teesside, whenever I've seen their birds about it's been Dassault Falcon 20s (little ex-business jets) but I could be wrong, or they might just have been passing through at the time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Dassault Falcon 20s
Flew over shortly after the old fighters
I don't think Draken International (the other big user of the airport, providing training services to the RAF) fly A4s from Teesside,
They may only have been operating out of there rather than based there but I have seen them a couple of times, never as a 4 craft formation though.

I believe it's technically KLM Cityhopper who operate the flights but their fleet is all in KLM blue and white (apart from any promotional liveries). It's possible they'd leased an aircraft or similar.
that could be it - it was certainly an Embraer

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I believe it's technically KLM Cityhopper who operate the flights
Done some tea break digging:

The service joins Eastern Airways basing a 100-seat Embeaer 190 last month to operate the KLM Cityhopper Amsterdam service, resulting in Eastern operating up to 54 arrivals and departures weekly from Teesside Airport.

I shall have to keep an eye out!
You will hear them before you see them!

They are Aero L-159 ALCA aircraft apparently. Details here: https://www.teessideinternational.c...-fleet-grows-as-new-airport-hangar-completed/

(WARNING: Gratuitous Houchen shot)

Draken’s fleet of Alca L-159E “Honey Badger” aircraft. These Czech-built light multi-role combat training aircraft are at the heart of the UK Ministry of Defence’s new Interim Red Air Aggressor Training Service – a contract that will see Draken’s experienced ex-military fighter pilots fly regularly against the RAF over the North Sea as part of the “enemy” fighter force.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Oh. I ask as my mum now lives under the approach to Darlo international and while visiting the other day the Amsterdam flight flew over and did not look like a KLM liveried plane. It was plain white. Could someone else be operating the flight on behalf of KLM?

PS the biggest noise caused is by the A4 sky hawk type planes especially those that flew over in a 4 craft formation!
KLM have wet leased some of Eastern Airways Embarers due to pilot training issues of their own (I think there might also still be affected by the engine issues with the PW1400G which power their new Embraer E2 jets).

These are painted all white with logos.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
KLM have wet leased some of Eastern Airways Embarers due to pilot training issues of their own (I think there might also still be affected by the engine issues with the PW1100G which power their new Embraer E2 jets).

thanks - that will explain it

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Done some tea break digging:

KLM have wet leased some of Eastern Airways Embarers due to pilot training issues of their own (I think there might also still be affected by the engine issues with the PW1100G which power their new Embraer E2 jets).

Interesting thanks both!
You will hear them before you see them!

They are Aero L-159 ALCA aircraft apparently. Details here: https://www.teessideinternational.c...-fleet-grows-as-new-airport-hangar-completed/
Ah yeah I can see how they could get confused with A4s. I shall keep my ears open though as I've still only ever heard/seen the Falcon 20s and these seem far more interesting!

pug1

Nope, Amsterdam is still KLM. Eastern, until they took over Aberdeen, had basically quite the airport entirely other than the seasonal Jersey flights.
It’s actually Eastern under wet lease to KLM due to aircraft availability issues at KLM. The OTP has been a bit of a disaster initially but it appears to have improved a little recently (though it’s still early days!), think everyone is hoping KLM will take the service back in house when their own capacity issues are resolved.

Cross City

I don't think Draken International (the other big user of the airport, providing training services to the RAF) fly A4s from Teesside, whenever I've seen their birds about it's been Dassault Falcon 20s (little ex-business jets) but I could be wrong, or they might just have been passing through at the time.

Flew over shortly after the old fighters

They may only have been operating out of there rather than based there but I have seen them a couple of times, never as a 4 craft formation though.

that could be it - it was certainly an Embraer

There is a Canadian company called Top Aces which fly A4s out of Germany but are over here fairly often, and I think use Teeside occasionally.

They do a similar thing to Draken with roleplay dogfighting etc.

Butts

Veteran Member
Was looking at prices on GLA - SOU. Prices are sky high on bank holiday weekend, £278 one way and some flights over the next few weeks are sold out. Route must be doing well. Hopefully more flights are added.

Can concur that now, I was looking to book flights for a General Election Party at my brothers in Portsmouth.

Out Thursday 4th July back Friday 5th July...

EasyJet £380 return GLA-SOU

Loganair £500 return EDI-SOU

Going to have to use BA Rewards Flight to LHR and get the Train down to Pompey.

Just illustrates how good value my bookings in June were.

Could get a Train all the way but it's a long haul and about £100 odd Standard or £200 odd 1st Class Return

Update blew 30,000 Avios and £1 to fly EDI-LHR on the 4th and back up on the 5th Club Europe - there was very little availability on redemption flights for the days in question.

Book value of Flights £358 !!

At least I was able to book Advanced 1st Class from Waterloo to Cosham and back for about £23 in total using my Railcard !!

Last edited:

Irascible

Established Member
There are some G-reg L-159s ( small single engine fast jet trainers ) out of there for adversary training which I presume are Drakens. I wonder how much they contribute to Bournemouth's income, there's some Falcons based there for training the Navy ( regularily making noise over my head ).

mpthomson

There are some G-reg L-159s ( small single engine fast jet trainers ) out of there for adversary training which I presume are Drakens. I wonder how much they contribute to Bournemouth's income, there's some Falcons based there for training the Navy ( regularily making noise over my head ).
Yes, they're Draken airframes.

route101

Established Member
Can concur that now, I was looking to book flights for a General Election Party at my brothers in Portsmouth.

Out Thursday 4th July back Friday 5th July...

EasyJet £380 return GLA-SOU

Loganair £500 return EDI-SOU

Going to have to use BA Rewards Flight to LHR and get the Train down to Pompey.

Just illustrates how good value my bookings in June were.

Could get a Train all the way but it's a long haul and about £100 odd Standard or £200 odd 1st Class Return

Update blew 30,000 Avios and £1 to fly EDI-LHR on the 4th and back up on the 5th Club Europe - there was very little availability on redemption flights for the days in question.

Book value of Flights £358 !!

At least I was able to book Advanced 1st Class from Waterloo to Cosham and back for about £23 in total using my Railcard !!
I noticed there wasn't even GLA - Southampton flights operating Friday 31st and Saturday June 1st for some reason.