• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Telegraph article on the cost of non-contactless/Oyster fares in London

redreni

It isn't yet a real issue though. It only becomes one at the point TfL stop accepting paper tickets issued by rail companies, if another solution hasn't been found by then.
It would, of course, be a problem for passengers making through rail/tube journeys if TfL stopped accepting through tickets. They'd have to withdraw from the relevant agreements in order to do that, though, wouldn't they?

Given they remain party to NR through ticketing arrangements, it's questionable whether they're allowed to condition their acceptance of NR through tickets on them being issued on CCST paper stock as they're doing now. They get away with it because retailers and passengers have a workaround available to them (i.e. use CCST paper tickets).

Maybe, once they've fixed their gatelines and started accepting e-tickets, they might want to reverse the position and stop accepting CCST paper tickets, with passengers again having a workaround available (i.e. use e-tickets or a bogroll tickets with barcodes).

I don't see how they could adopt a position of being prepared to accept NR through tickets in theory, being party to the relevant agreement, but not actually accepting them in any of the formats in which they are available, though. That would be absurd and would lead directly to passengers with valid tickets being double-charged.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlbertBeale

Established Member
If you've a Network Railcard it's not really niche in my experience - there's just case after case after case where tickets are cheaper than PAYG, especially at weekends.

Although, in most of the examples below, the PAYG fares are higher even than the £13 minimum fare for Network Railcard-discounted tickets after 10am Mondays to Fridays.

Slade Green to any zone 1 LU station: £6.70 off-peak PAYG (so £13.40 return).
Network Railcard discounted off-peak day return Dartford to London Underground Zones 1-4 £9.40. 30% cheaper.
Network Railcard discounted day Travelcard £10.40

Slade Green to Slough £9.40 off-peak PAYG (so £18.80 return).
Network Railcard discounted off-peak day return Slade Green to Slough £12.25. A third cheaper.
Network Railcard discounted day Travelcard plus off-peak day return West Drayton to Slough £14.05

Brentwood to Shenfield £1.80 off-peak PAYG (so £3.60 return).
Network Railcard discounted off-peak day return Brentwood to Shenfield £3. 20% cheaper.

Actually, that last one is a little under 17% cheaper, not 20%.

And not because of some conspiratorial world plan to get rid of cash, either. Because it's easier for everyone.

Torygraph really scraping the barrel if the best they can do is aim the "forcing cashless" tosh at TfL. Next it'll be blokes insisting on their magna carta right (or some such poppycock) to give a bus driver cash. And the bus driver will gladly tell them forthwith...

That London lot have got their head in the clouds! Pay for something on my card!? Not on your life! - such is the strange world outlook of a Telegraph reader.

Not quite everyone - there are certainly some people who find using cash easier.

Wolfie

Established Member
It would, of course, be a problem for passengers making through rail/tube journeys if TfL stopped accepting through tickets. They'd have to withdraw from the relevant agreements in order to do that, though, wouldn't they?

Given they remain party to NR through ticketing arrangements, it's questionable whether they're allowed to condition their acceptance of NR through tickets on them being issued on CCST paper stock as they're doing now. They get away with it because retailers and passengers have a workaround available to them (i.e. use CCST paper tickets).

Maybe, once they've fixed their gatelines and started accepting e-tickets, they might want to reverse the position and stop accepting CCST paper tickets, with passengers again having a workaround available (i.e. use e-tickets or a bogroll tickets with barcodes).

I don't see how they could adopt a position of being prepared to accept NR through tickets in theory, being party to the relevant agreement, but not actually accepting them in any of the formats in which they are available, though. That would be absurd and would lead directly to passengers with valid tickets being double-charged.
Do said ticketing arrangements permit one party to unilaterally make changes for their own purposes and consequentially impose additional costs on other parties? If so then l am amazed that any such other parties signed up to them.