• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tell Us Something We Don't Know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crompton Karl

I've finally met some Rail UK members, i now have met Galvanize and ekr123 at the Spa Valley Railway :) (Spoon! :))
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Forgot to add i bumped into CraigS at High Rocks too :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Half of the popular kids are already serving me my dinner in my break from college :D Tis a fantastic feeling.

Where I'm working, it's kinda like school :( Loads of "popular" people. Sadly, I feel the teachers in 3rd year actually treated me with more respect than my managers do, simply because I'm in the same age group as a lot of troublemakers (50% neds/chavs). A rather pathetic place to work, really. But it pays well. Even so, I'm glad that I'll have quit in a month in time for university, because working in a call centre is not my ultimate goal in life.

RJ

Established Member
I've never done anything to them, I swear. What it came down to was in September we had to go through who we were, what we liked etc cos we had a form teacher new to the school.
I went with "Photography, computers,being with mates etc" then some brightspark went "HE LIKES TRAINS!" (Foolish mistake on my part on the very first day of school..)

Certain people just can't help but spreading rumours...

There was your mistake - if you admitted you liked trains and taken any flak which *might* have been given there and then, you might have earnt some respect for it. And as it was initiated as a p*sstake, rather than them hearing it firsthand from you, it will always be a p*sstake and you will forevermore suffer the consequences :razz:

class 313

Established Member
The kind of friends that wouldn't like you if they knew you liked trains aren't real friends.

Not at all true.

Lets not beat around the bush, school can be a harsh place and they would want to watch their back as well as trying to make friends. They wont do that when making friends which others deem a no go area.

Best bet is keep it quiet for as long as possible by then your mates will know you long enough to let it slide.

Gizmogle

Established Member
I'd just rather be myself. The people at college know I like trains, and they don't care. They'll make the occassional joke, but I just laugh along with them.

class 313

Established Member
I'd just rather be myself. The people at college know I like trains, and they don't care. They'll make the occassional joke, but I just laugh along with them.

Yes, well, obviously people have different way of making friends.

me123

Established Member
I think i've only ever mentioned my railway interests to 2 friends, simply because they asked. I've never openly admitted having an interest in railways, simply because a lot of people I know/knew would (have) made fun of me. The people I've told, it was just in the passing, and I would tell more people if it came into conversation. Some people, though, I'd never tell. Yes, it's good to be open about things, but these are people who i know would just ridicule me publically for life, and I can't be bothered with that.

At work, on our first day, we were given the usual "getting to know you" rubbish where you stand up in front of your colleagues and tell them about your life. I was first and didn't mention railways just in case it was like school (which it is) and I'm glad. A few of my colleagues had interests, but many of them didn't seem to have any. Interests included dancing at a place called "megabar" :?, getting your hair cut, "just hangin' out", driving about... I can't see how any of them are interests at all.

class 313

Established Member
I think i've only ever mentioned my railway interests to 2 friends, simply because they asked. I've never openly admitted having an interest in railways, simply because a lot of people I know/knew would (have) made fun of me. The people I've told, it was just in the passing, and I would tell more people if it came into conversation. Some people, though, I'd never tell. Yes, it's good to be open about things, but these are people who i know would just ridicule me publically for life, and I can't be bothered with that.

Exactly my point.

Why get yourself into hassle that could be averted?

mbonwick

Established Member
Its something you just cant be proud of when you strife to be more popular. No matter how proud you are of it, others will think its lame and stupid. So Yeah be proud of it if you don't want to make as many friends as you can.

The kind of friends that wouldn't like you if they knew you liked trains aren't real friends.

You're both right. The people I'd rather - and do - spend most of my time with know what I like, and don't have a problem. I've even had genuine offers to go photting with me.

me123

Established Member
Let's be clear, I'm not putting up a front. I'm just not mentioning it unless it comes up. Only in a few cases would I not mention it, and in each of those cases, they've badmouthed trainspotters in the past. In general, I am open so I assume a lot of people know that I do have an interest even though I've never particularly mentioned it. I've said things like "I like the turbostars over sprinters" from time to time and they've never mentioned anything. I just don't go out my way to "come out" of a rail enthusiast's closet or anything.

Only two people have ever asked me if I am a trainspotter. Each time, I said "no" but that I do have an interest in railways which is the truth, This was before I went on Gizzy's scavenger hunt; the first time I took a photo of a train as such. And I have to admit, that whilst I had a good time I can't imagine myself sitting on the end of a platform all day doing that. Then again, I've never tried it so I might be pleasently surprised.

As for my friends, one smiled and has only mentioned it occasionally and one laughed made a few jokes and never mentioned it again. I keep in touch with both of them and they both now mention it from time to time. they make some light jokes if we're on a train or something (such as "Don't get excited, Chris!" when they announce that the train's approaching) but it's good natured and they know I can take the joke.

PS, RJ, I like units and I'm proud of it :D I also like Pendolinos :D and MTUs and 170s. And I totally agree with your post above, although I refuse to pass judgement in Mr. Loader.

FusionRail

Im sure youve all heard everything bad about me, so from my point of view:

DJ's at parties/runs Mobile Disco service
Got onto Network Rail Apprenticeship - So now you know who to blame for signal failures
Does not like any form of animal such as bats
Eats too much fast food
And too much coke
Has no current job - its not because im unemployable, honest!
Is dreading the famous GCSE results, F.U.D.G.E anyone?
Wants a cat (they look funny)
IS NOT a stoat, veg or any other form of 'trainspotter'!
And im not as bad you think...

Leyland Olympians
Volvo's
HST's
Large cokes in Subway

Hates:
Annoying people
The 'Cool' Gang
Bendolinos
The 22x class
BVE Fail Network
List goes on really.....

Gizmogle

Established Member
My favourite food is pasta.
I like anime. Especially Naruto and Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad.
I collect change. I have a bottle of pound coins that has about £50 in it.

Beaker

Established Member
Hates:
Self obbessed people
people who are always happy
the spelling police
people who always smug
david cameron
twix bars
thalys
religion
people who always at parties
people at parties at night
parties that keep me awake at night
loud people
chavs

David

Established Member
In the last 24 hours, I've had to delete nearly 150 posts from this topic because they were either spam or arguments.

Spam goes in the chat forum, arguments stay off forum.

Topic locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.