• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Terminal 2 at Heathrow changing name to East Terminal

Do you want to rename Terminal 2 or not?

• Heathrow Terminal 2

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Heathrow East Terminal

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Tiffin

They are trying to change Heathrow Terminal 2 to Heathrow East Terminal but I want it to stay as Heathrow Terminal 2

Select which one you want name.

Heathrow Terminal 2

Heathrow East Terminal

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Isn't "Heathrow East" the replacement for 1 and 2? As far as I know there's plans to flatten most of the existing mish-mash of buildings that make up those terminals and replace them with a single purpose built building- with airlines being shifted around to 3&4 in the interim (once BA are entirely at 5). Quite what they'll do with the numbering of 3-5 I'm not sure.

DavyCrocket

ASUI the project is called Heathrow East and will replace Terminal 2 (which I am told used to be a car park!) and be linked to Terminal 1.

The terminal numbers will stay the same, though in the long term they will be grouped together into their seperate alliances; Star Alliance, One World, Sky Team etc. The only exception will be BA who will be the sole operator from T5.

TBH, I can't see them changing the names from numbers to something else, though the old terms like Oceanic sound interesting, as well as having a Terminal 1,3,4,5 but no 2!!

Bighat

They are trying to change Heathrow Terminal 2 to Heathrow East Terminal but I want it to stay as Heathrow Terminal 2

Select which one you want name.

Heathrow Terminal 2

Heathrow East Terminal

You can call it what you like.

As soon as they sort the T5 fiasco out (and refurbish Terminal 1), it is intended to demolish Terminal 2/East Terminal (?) AND the Queen's Building. The Terminal 2 car park needs the chop too, and may well go with them (hopefully).

These are the oldest passenger structures at Heathrow, along with the much modified BOAC/BA hangars near the threshold of runway 27R, dating back to the 1950's.

The similarly-aged BEA/BA hangars close to Hatton Cross have recently been demolished.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
There's some info on wikipedia.

Confusingly, it only mentions knocking down T2 and the Queen's building, yet the map of the future layout sweeps away T1.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
But I don't want Terminal 2 to be demolished.

Are you some sort of crazy? I've only used it once each way, and it was quite the worst airport experience I've ever had. Cramped, dingy, confusingly laid out.

Yes, the replacement will undoubtably be another bland shopping mall, but it'll be more pleasent for it.

Established Member
I know alot people, so listen up 8)

There re-modelling T2 and T1, they've demolished some gates around T1, and have started redoing parts of them at T2, T3s Flights are LARGELY meant to stay the same. Far as I know Northwest have moved to T4.

T1,2,and 3 are situated in the central area. From what I also know is that I think there rebuilding parts of the building as its a mess apparently.

Ascot

Established Member
I know alot people, so listen up 8)

Kill the ego.

There re-modelling T2 and T1, they've demolished some gates around T1, and have started redoing parts of them at T2, T3s Flights are LARGELY meant to stay the same. Far as I know Northwest have moved to T4.

T1,2,and 3 are situated in the central area. From what I also know is that I think there rebuilding parts of the building as its a mess apparently.

Been on the Internet for quite some time in the Pprune forums and also BAA website. As far as you know is as far as the internet goes. Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Heathrow_Terminals_After.png

Finally see
http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/ad/EGLL/EG_AD_2_EGLL_2-8_en.pdf
http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/ad/EGLL/EG_AD_2_EGLL_2-7_en.pdf

Last edited:

Ascot

Established Member
From Wikipedia

After these moves, but before Heathrow East opens, Heathrow Terminal arrangements will be as follows:

* Terminal 1: Star Alliance
* Terminal 2: Will be demolished and replaced by Heathrow East Terminal
* Terminal 3: oneworld; British Airways flights to and from Bangkok, Barcelona, Helsinki, Lisbon, Madrid, Nice, Singapore, Sydney; Aer Lingus and Virgin Atlantic
* Terminal 4: SkyTeam and all non-aligned airlines
* Terminal 5: All British Airways flights except Bangkok, Barcelona, Helsinki, Lisbon, Madrid, Nice, Singapore, Sydney.

Guinness

Established Member
Heathrow East is a project name, there is no final name decided yet by BAA.

D306

Established Member
Andrew, they won't. What part of, they're demoloshing Terminal two and renaming the eastern part of the airport to Ieathrow East. Personally, I think it'll be much easier and less confusing. Having 5 terminals is a bit to much IMO, so it would be much easier to have only 3

P156KWJ

Established Member
I don't actually care if it's called Heathrow T2, or Heathrow terminal 59 or heathrow gay terminal, it's an airport, and the quicker I leave the better 8)

Established Member
I don't actually care if it's called Heathrow T2, or Heathrow terminal 59 or heathrow gay terminal, it's an airport, and the quicker I leave the better 8)

This thread was for discussion of the name, not to tell us your anti-aircraft :roll:.

djw1981

Established Member
Don't worry, because terminal 2 will be demolished and be rubble. Thus the site of T2 may be used for a terminal which is called 'Heathrow East Terminal' but T2 itself will not.

Well, I am not having Terminal 2 being renamed East Terminal.

Anyway, even if they were to rename T2, how were you pro[posing stopping them doing it, which the above quote implies. Even as a BAA shareholder, you would only be one voice amongst the thousands of shareholders.

I fear confusion though if we get beyond Heathrow East and West though, because Gatwick has North and South, so a Heathrow North could cause some confusion amongst passengers, but if E and W were at Heathrow and N & S at Gatwick, that would save some confusion.

Other airports even have 2 or 3 terminals joined together with no change in gate numbering etc, just a link corridor between the various sections.

Dave A

Hmm, I do wonder about the future of Heathrow as a whole. If Terminal 5 is anything to go by, BAA (Ferrovial) don't seem to want to make their "mark" there. From what I've seen, there isn't one piece of sign-age that looks to be "permanent", for BAA or Terminal 5, even BA seem to keep it "low-key"...

djw1981

Established Member
Well the Uk DfT and Competition commission seem to be concerned at the BAA monopoly situation in SE England (and Scotland) and I guess there is a chance that Ferovial (who are heavily in debt as a result of financing the purchase of BAA) may be forced to sell one of their SE airports. Heathrow could raise the most money and relieve them of the capital expenditure of the new terminals and the administrative nightmare and moneypit of the public inquiry for Runway 3.

So in summary:
# BAA signs could be temporary in case Heathrow is sold
# T5 signs are temporary because soon it may have another name.

Status
Not open for further replies.