• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Terror attack close to/outside Parliament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
But terror was a part of daily life in London for about 25 years. It was much more pervasive during those times than it is now. The world didn't crash down around our heads though.

I was living in London for all of those years, save for a couple commuting into London from Kent, and as well as the IRA bombs that exploded, there were those that were defused and numerous false alarms, plus the sieges of the Iranian Embassy, the Spaghetti House in Knightsbridge and Balcombe Street, the latter two being carried out by the IRA, the shooting of a policeman in Fulham(?) by an IRA member and the shooting dead of WPC Yvonne Fletcher in St James's Square by someone from the Libyan Embassy, and those are just the ones I remember. My wife's office was on the corner of King Charles II Street and St James's Square, although she was out on the day of the shooting, and it was weeks before all the office staff could return before going through a police cordon, but, as you say, you got on with it just as they did in the Second World War. Margaret Thatcher as P.M. did try in the 1980s to keep Gerry Adams and Martin McGuiness off the airwaves by banning their voices being directly heard on radio and TV, with their words being spoken by actors instead, but most impartial people thought this to be a dismal failure even though it was supposed to deny them the 'oxygen of publicity'.

Status
Not open for further replies.