• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Terry Pratchett - "Raising Steam"

Status
Not open for further replies.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Just been announced that #40 in the Discworld series will have a railway theme...

Looking forward to this :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Wonder if the railways in question (assuming it's something to do with Vetinari's "Undertaking") will draw a wonderful parallel to the early days of the Metropolitan Railway. Hissing steam engines and fuggy gaslit carriages seem well suited to Ankh-Morpok.

I'm really looking forward to this one! :D

bnm

Established Member
The only author of whom I buy every book when it is released.

Terry Pratchett has been a mainstay for me ever since I read The Light Fantastic in 1987.

Interesting premise for this latest book. I wonder whether we will see Leonard of Quirm at the forefront of steam train design. Although with his blind spot when it comes to naming his inventions it will probably be called something like 'The Going Very Fast on Iron Rails Horseless Carriage'.

Previous inventions include:

The Going Under The Water Safely Device (submarine)
The Very Fast Coffee Machine (Espresso maker)
The Engine for the Neutralizing of Information by the Generation of Miasmic Alphabets. (note the bold capitals)
The Make Words With Letters That Have All Been Mixed Up Game (Scrabble)

CMOT Dibbler will probably get the buffet concession. "Wherever people prepared to eat terrible food, there will be someone there to sell it to them"

gnolife

Established Member
I was really hoping for a third Moist von Lipwig book. I'm a little bit disappointed, but I'm sure that yhis will be good.

Seacook

I was really hoping for a third Moist von Lipwig book. I'm a little bit disappointed, but I'm sure that yhis will be good.

It could be. If the Patrician decides that what's needed is a public transport system that makes a profit....

I'll be pre-ordering as soon as it is listed.

=================================
Breaking news

Amazon has listed the kindle edition for pre-order. I have,
It is Moist von Lipwig according to the blurb!

Last edited:

gnolife

Established Member
It could be. If the Patrician decides that what's needed is a public transport system that makes a profit....

I'll be pre-ordering as soon as it is listed.

It's very strongly hinted at the end of Making Money that Vetinari has the job as the taxman lined up for Moist. Therefore, I'm thinking it's going to be focusing either on Dibbler, or else a new character (akin to The Truth)

tbtc

Veteran Member
I'm thinking it's going to be focusing either on Dibbler

Two hundred dollars for an open return from Klatch to Ankh Morportk and that's cutting me own throat...

Terry Pratchett has a fertile imagination, but even he would struggle to come up with something as strange as the current set up of railways in the UK.

Seacook

It's very strongly hinted at the end of Making Money that Vetinari has the job as the taxman lined up for Moist. Therefore, I'm thinking it's going to be focusing either on Dibbler, or else a new character (akin to The Truth)

See the edit on my post.

From Amazon:

Product Description
Change is afoot in Ankh-Morpork - Discworld's first steam engine has arrived, and once again Moist von Lipwig finds himself with a new and challenging job.

gnolife

Established Member
Two hundred dollars for an open return from Klatch to Ankh Morportk and that's cutting me own throat...

Terry Pratchett has a fertile imagination, but even he would struggle to come up with something as strange as the current set up of railways in the UK.

But is -ing mustard included in the price?

See the edit on my post.

From Amazon:

Product Description
Change is afoot in Ankh-Morpork - Discworld's first steam engine has arrived, and once again Moist von Lipwig finds himself with a new and challenging job.

I stand corrected, and must say that Im glad that I didn't make a comment to the effect of eating my hat :lol:

I am wondering what the point of the conversation between Drumknott and Vetinari at the end of Making Money is then. ..

Status
Not open for further replies.