• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tesco & M&S being pronounced "Tescos" and "Marks & Spencers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For my technical work back in the day, there used to be a device called a Remote Insight Board or a RIB Board as it was known - and if you take that literally that is a Remote Insight Board Board :)
As with so-called "PAT Testing" this is known as "redundant acronym syndrome"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAS_syndrome
RAS syndrome (where "RAS" stands for "redundant acronym syndrome", making the phrase "RAS syndrome" self-referential) is the use of one or more of the words that make up an acronym or other initialism in conjunction with the abbreviated form, thus in effect repeating one or more words.

Two common examples are "PIN or VIN number" (the "N" in PIN and VIN stands for "number") and "ATM machine" (the "M" in ATM stands for "machine"). The term RAS syndrome was coined in 2001 by New Scientist.[1][2][3]

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member

BluePenguin

On Moderation
My pet ate is when people say "Tesgo" instead of Tesco. The other one is when Sandwich is pronounced "Sandwij"

Bedpan

Established Member
My daughters always have a go at me for saying Tesco's. But the town bus service in leighton Buzzard actually has "Tesco's" written on the side as one of teh destinations served. And (i hope nobody's pet hate is people who start a sentence with "and") I've not heard anybody say they'd like a pint of Brakespear, although conversely I had a pint of Otter today (and very nice it was too).

My pet hate is people saying "One pence". If they think that pence is the singular, w2hy don't they say pences when they are talking about more than one of them.

Hmm another thread about language changing yet if it hadnt of changed over the years then we certainly wouldnt be speaking like we do now
One of my real pet hates is people saying 'of' instead of the correct 'have'. Although, ironically, neither should be used in the above sentence!

Yes. It's easy to forget that in the North West where all the Co-op stores are branded as Co-operative and that's the name that appears at the bottom of receipts and on card statements.
I've always called the Co-op 'Coop' (as in hen), which really irritates my girlfriend's (Scottish) father, who always calls it 'The Co-oper-AY-tive' (emphasised syllable in caps)

SteveP29

I'm also amazed Waterstones hasn't been mentioned in this thread so far. They are/were a case like Sainsbury's – i.e. a shop named after a person and therefore including an apostrophe in their name. But during a rebranding some years ago they got rid of A. the capital letter at the beginning of their name, and B. the apostrophe! And this is a book shop we're talking about!!! (Thankfully they seem to have abandoned the awful modern font they tried and restored the capital letter, but the apostrophe is still sadly missing.)

There were two of their shops either side of Grey's Monument in Newcastle, one had the apostrophe, the other didn't. To the uninitiated, they'd think they were two different shops

Yep, C&A was of the “pile it high sell it cheap” school of thought, if I remember rightly. Much like woolies!

Sports Direct :(

My pet ate is when people say "Tesgo" instead of Tesco. The other one is when Sandwich is pronounced "Sandwij"

Scalectrix, boils my p**s that

Clip

Established Member
One of my real pet hates is people saying 'of' instead of the correct 'have'. Although, ironically, neither should be used in the above sentence!

My point proven in one sentence!!

If you understand what is written then that is all that counts really!!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Very handy on eBay though. Because people search for the correct spelling, they don't see the misspelled ones, so if you search for those you can get some bargains!

I'm surprised eBay's search engine is that basic - certainly if you search for that kind of misspelling on Google they will return results containing the correct spelling.

Temple Meads

Established Member
I'm surprised eBay's search engine is that basic - certainly if you search for that kind of misspelling on Google they will return results containing the correct spelling.

eBay does sometimes - a search for 'Honby' gives a suggestion of 'Hornby' but no alternatives for 'Scalectrix'.

Killingworth

Established Member
For my technical work back in the day, there used to be a device called a Remote Insight Board or a RIB Board as it was known - and if you take that literally that is a Remote Insight Board Board :)

Heard everywhere in retail "Enter your PIN number" = Enter your personal identification number number.

Clip

Established Member

It will also give you the option of actually using the results of what you typed though.

Bedpan

Established Member
What gets up my nose about "could/should/would of" is that more people than not seem to be writing it, and as far as I can remember it's a relatively new thing. You only see "could've or could have anbout 20% of the time. Another word you seldom see spelt correctly is led. 90% of the time its spelt "lead".

Another thing is the misuse of apostrophe's, although I remember seeing "banana's 6d a lb" in greengrocers (or should that be greengrocers') back in the 50s. Apostrophes can completely change the meaning of a sentence. "I had an awful day yesterday. I arrived home exhausted and hungry, and there was no food in the house. I was too tired to go out again so I had to eat the cat's" is entirely different to, "I had an awful day yesterday. I arrived home exhausted and hungry, and there was no food in the house. I was too tired to go out again so I had to eat the cats" .

Calthrop

Established Member
Another thing is the misuse of apostrophe's, although I remember seeing "banana's 6d a lb" in greengrocers (or should that be greengrocers') back in the 50s. Apostrophes can completely change the meaning of a sentence. "I had an awful day yesterday. I arrived home exhausted and hungry, and there was no food in the house. I was too tired to go out again so I had to eat the cat's" is entirely different to, "I had an awful day yesterday. I arrived home exhausted and hungry, and there was no food in the house. I was too tired to go out again so I had to eat the cats" .

Re my bolding above: I could be an obnoxious smart-alec and point out apostrophe-misuse on your part there: the very "greengrocer's apostrophe" thing (using " 's " to make a noun plural -- save in very rare cases, it's simply an "s" on end of word -- no apostrophe). Would say that as regards where you saw mis-apostrophised signs, "greengrocers' " is your correct rendering -- "greengrocers' [shops]", understood.

Lynne Truss in her book on punctuation Eats, Shoots & Leaves -- in which she is on the whole, rather severe and rigorous as regards people's punctuation-botching -- is relatively lenient (including towards greengrocers and their reputed apostrophe-related vice) in the chapter on apostrophes: she concedes that they can be decidedly tricky.

Calthrop

Established Member
As with so-called "PAT Testing" this is known as "redundant acronym syndrome"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAS_syndrome

I'd suspect that this is, likely, just something which people tend to do; and have done for a long while -- at least, ever since letters-of-alphabet abbreviations / acronyms became a widespread practice. I wonder whether a hundred years ago, people often talked about the "GWR Railway" or "LNWR Railway" -- would be inclined to bet on the probability of that having been so.

SteveP29

What gets up my nose about "could/should/would of" is that more people than not seem to be writing it, and as far as I can remember it's a relatively new thing. You only see "could've or could have anbout 20% of the time. Another word you seldom see spelt correctly is led. 90% of the time its spelt "lead".

Apologies for the crudity but.....
http://www.dumpaday.com/funny-pictu...een-knowing-your-****-and-knowing-youre-****/

deltic1989

Established Member
Apostrophes can completely change the meaning of a sentence. "I had an awful day yesterday. I arrived home exhausted and hungry, and there was no food in the house. I was too tired to go out again so I had to eat the cat's" is entirely different to, "I had an awful day yesterday. I arrived home exhausted and hungry, and there was no food in the house. I was too tired to go out again so I had to eat the cats" .

Commas can do that too. "Let's eat Grandma" vs "Let's eat, Grandma". Punctuation saves lives :lol:

Bedpan

Established Member
Re my bolding above: I could be an obnoxious smart-alec and point out apostrophe-misuse on your part there: the very "greengrocer's apostrophe" thing (using " 's " to make a noun plural -- save in very rare cases, it's simply an "s" on end of word -- no apostrophe). Would say that as regards where you saw mis-apostrophised signs, "greengrocers' " is your correct rendering -- "greengrocers' [shops]", understood.

Lynne Truss in her book on punctuation Eats, Shoots & Leaves -- in which she is on the whole, rather severe and rigorous as regards people's punctuation-botching -- is relatively lenient (including towards greengrocers and their reputed apostrophe-related vice) in the chapter on apostrophes: she concedes that they can be decidedly tricky.

Well, in my defence I would say that I used the apostrophe s tongue in cheek, but I suppose I ought to have bolded it as opposed to try to make a joke and end up looking stupid!

Calthrop

Established Member
Well, in my defence I would say that I used the apostrophe s tongue in cheek, but I suppose I ought to have bolded it as opposed to try to make a joke and end up looking stupid!

Your possible tongue-in-cheek-ness did cross my mind: was trying to be humorous in my response, but don't seem to have had great success. As my brother often tells me: "like all your people, you have big problems with this Earthling 'humour' thing :( ..."

Be3G

Established Member
My point proven in one sentence!!

If you understand what is written then that is all that counts really!!

When I see ‘of’ used incorrectly as has been discussed here it does genuinely trip me up whilst reading something; it's like a little stumble whilst otherwise gliding effortlessly along a sentence. I'm not saying this is the case for everyone, but it's one of the reasons that I'm always keen to promote relatively ‘correct’ punctuation etc.: because it can make written communication clearer.

Clip

Established Member
When I see ‘of’ used incorrectly as has been discussed here it does genuinely trip me up whilst reading something; it's like a little stumble whilst otherwise gliding effortlessly along a sentence. I'm not saying this is the case for everyone, but it's one of the reasons that I'm always keen to promote relatively ‘correct’ punctuation etc.: because it can make written communication clearer.

But do you understand the sentence if they are used within it?

Bedpan

Established Member
Your possible tongue-in-cheek-ness did cross my mind: was trying to be humorous in my response, but don't seem to have had great success. As my brother often tells me: "like all your people, you have big problems with this Earthling 'humour' thing :( ..."
You and me both then....your (was very tempted to write you're) latest response has made me chuckle though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.