• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Test for Everyday Attention (TEA-OCC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordel

Hello,

I was just looking for some advice.

I've made it through to the psychometric assessments for Driver at Northern. On the TEA-OCC, do you get a list of telephone numbers, symbols and area codes and have to select the correct ones? Or a random list (eg. businesses) and you have to select the options with matching double symbols?

While researching this, there's been quite a lot of conflicting information.

Many Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Just match every double symbol and ignore the story, telephone numbers etc.

The double symbols are the main thing to get on the test.

Last edited:

Eebbs1912

Just natch every double symbol and ignore the story, telephone numbers etc.

The double symbols are the main thing to get on the test.
This is exactly right, every double symbol is the correct area code etc so just circle every double symbols and ignore everything else.

Kay_M

Exactly as all the above says. For instance if you see a symbol that says XX or DD for example you circle that. If it says XD or DX, DON'T CIRCLE IT!!!!!!

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Just to repeat this as a reassurance, because I know it can be stressful taking advice from an online forum when the stakes are so high, you absolutely just circle double symbols. That is the test. If you see two identical symbols together then circle them. This is what I did and passed. Do not look at area codes or what the actual symbols are. If you do you will be too slow and fail.

On the day they will read you out a bunch of stuff about area codes. The advice is the same - circle the double symbols to pass.

Fjordel

Thanks for the info everyone. To say I'm relieved is an understatement :). Also, on the ATAVT, how long is the image displayed on the screen? I've currently got it set at 0.5 second, wondering if this is correct or if I need to speed it up.

Dave19801980

I’d say the ATAVT is around 1 sec which is still the blink of an eye. Not enough time to scan the entire image as you normally would on any picture.....try to ‘squint’ at the screen....a bit like the old MagicEye pictures....you stand a much better chance of catching all the various things in the image. Also obviously the bigger things such as a car will be much easier to spot...so try to ‘focus’ more on peds and bicycles etc. I’ve said it before but definitely make sure you catch the traffic lights /ped crossing lights.

Fjordel

I’d say the ATAVT is around 1 sec which is still the blink of an eye. Not enough time to scan the entire image as you normally would on any picture.....try to ‘squint’ at the screen....a bit like the old MagicEye pictures....you stand a much better chance of catching all the various things in the image. Also obviously the bigger things such as a car will be much easier to spot...so try to ‘focus’ more on peds and bicycles etc. I’ve said it before but definitely make sure you catch the traffic lights /ped crossing lights.
Thanks for the tips. It's by far the one I struggle with the most so I'm going to need all the help I can get! :lol:

DwayneB8z

Just to repeat this as a reassurance, because I know it can be stressful taking advice from an online forum when the stakes are so high, you absolutely just circle double symbols. That is the test. If you see two identical symbols together then circle them. This is what I did and passed. Do not look at area codes or what the actual symbols are. If you do you will be too slow and fail.

On the day they will read you out a bunch of stuff about area codes. The advice is the same - circle the double symbols to pass.
I did everything he said not to do and failed. I think I only circled 4 cause I was too busy looking at the company names making sure. Only thing I failed on, I passed everything including the computer tests and the DFFT. Also is this test also counting the low tones mixed with the high tones?

Lumpa6259

Hello,

I was just looking for some advice.

I've made it through to the psychometric assessments for Driver at Northern. On the TEA-OCC, do you get a list of telephone numbers, symbols and area codes and have to select the correct ones? Or a random list (eg. businesses) and you have to select the options with matching double symbols?

While researching this, there's been quite a lot of conflicting information.

Many Thanks!

Firstly - excellent news and good luck!!

Secondly - where is this for and when did u apply ? When did you find out you were through to assesments.?

Thirdly....GOOD LUCK AGAIN !

Fjordel

Firstly - excellent news and good luck!!

Secondly - where is this for and when did u apply ? When did you find out you were through to assesments.?

Thirdly....GOOD LUCK AGAIN !
Thanks! It's for the position at Newcastle, I applied around September time, had my interview at the back end of November and found out the day after that I'd been successful and they're in the process of booking the psychometric assessment.

Anthony R

Hi regarding the tea occ, thanks to all the contributors, could someone explain the test completly though please. What is the various sheets, what's the pink sheet, yellow sheet and key card, and how do those items combine to deliver the test? Thanks.

Comfy

Hi regarding the tea occ, thanks to all the contributors, could someone explain the test completly though please. What is the various sheets, what's the pink sheet, yellow sheet and key card, and how do those items combine to deliver the test? Thanks.
There is 3 parts to the test. You do a telephone directory search which has a separate card with double symbols you are to look for in the telephone directory. You circle as many as you can in the time.
You do a tones test where you count the tones that are played out loud.
Then you do both tests simultaneously.
The colours of the sheets aren't relevant for being able to complete the test.

Trainset33

I’ve just completed the paper tests at the OPC today. The tea occ directory test is my main concern. I didn’t complete the pink sheet. I was only circling double symbols and not looking at names or anything. I was looking at the answer sheet with 10 answers so timed against that rather than 6. I missed out the entire final column, I can’t remember how many columns in all, think it was 4. Have I blown it?

I wouldn't over think it, I thought I'd failed my assessments as well but I'm in the talent pool awaiting a start date. Good luck.

Does anyone know if TFW requires an enhanced pass mark out of curiosity?

Trainset33

I wouldn't over think it, I thought I'd failed my assessments as well but I'm in the talent pool awaiting a start date. Good luck.

Does anyone know if TFW requires an enhanced pass mark out of curiosity?
Ok thank you. I’m hoping that it’s like the dot test and the dials, in that you’re not expected to make it all the way to the end of the test. I’m confident that my accuracy was good on part 3 of the directory, it’s the fact I didn’t finish that bothers me

mechanic2

So just to confirm this, I am literally only to circle whenever I see double symbols, ignore and don't even read anything else? It seems easier than I thought then?

iwasyoungonce

Follow the instructions given on the day if you don't understand them just ASK for clarification

Tracey87Blue

Hello, I have my tests next Wednesday an just reading through posts.
Have been practising TEA-occ but don’t understand what you mean by double symbols. Can someone explain please? X

On the test you'll be given a sheet containing telephone numbers with symbols next to them.

Just mark all the double symbols that match as in two squares, two circles etc

Status
Not open for further replies.