• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfGM Tranche 3 speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 466

Established Member
If someone has bid better than you (and it's sealed bids so in theory only TfGM know) then surely it's abit petty to be trying to overturn it after the last 2 went through okay?
Am sure it’s happened in Rail Franchising when Stagecoach lost out - however they still made the announcement and the court process made no difference to the outcomes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leyland Bus

Am sure it’s happened in Rail Franchising when Stagecoach lost out - however they still made the announcement and the court process made no difference to the outcomes.
I thought that... Be surprised if it is Stagecoach making the noise, they've done alright so far...

Leedsbusman

I thought that... Be surprised if it is Stagecoach making the noise, they've done alright so far...
All bidders have a legal right to challenge the outcome of the bid during the mandatory 10 day standstill process. Any such challenge automatically pauses the contract award. I recall tranche 1 was pushed back one week as well, perhaps for a similar reason.

Leyland Bus

All bidders have a legal right to challenge the outcome of the bid during the mandatory 10 day standstill process. Any such challenge automatically pauses the contract award. I recall tranche 1 was pushed back one week as well, perhaps for a similar reason.
You would think that that time period would be built into the announcement process..

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
You would think that that time period would be built into the announcement process..
@Leedsbusman is correct. There is a mandatory standstill period of 10 days for any objections to be raised. That IS reflected in the announcement process and assumes no objection.

However, if there is an objection, the nature of it will dictate the level of investigation required and so the delay may vary

mancbus

Also would they already announce on the news a day before it been delayed.
@Leedsbusman is correct. There is a mandatory standstill period of 10 days for any objections to be raised. That IS reflected in the announcement process and assumes no objection.

However, if there is an objection, the nature of it will dictate the level of investigation required and so the delay may vary

bussnapperwm

Established Member
The thing is, they now can't do it until after the local elections either due to purdah

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The thing is, they now can't do it until after the local elections either due to purdah
What seems very strange is that the requirements of the 6-week purdah covering the forthcoming elections would have been known best of all to those involved in local government who are supposed to be well versed in knowledge of such matters, who had seemingly had forgotten that the announced date of the tranche 3 results would not have been allowed to be made during that time period.

mancbus

What seems very strange is that the requirements of the 6-week purdah covering the forthcoming elections would have been known best of all to those involved in local government who are supposed to be well versed in knowledge of such matters, who had seemingly had forgotten that the announced date of the tranche 3 results would not have been allowed to be made during that time period.
But a few weeks ago the posted something about speculation of tranche 3 so how they would just forget about it is beyond me?

mangad

I am certainly no expert on purdah but it doesn't stop anything and seems highly unlikely that the awarding of a contract to a company in a huge process like franchising, is likely to drum up loads of votes or controversy.

Bee Network is the policy and it's happening. The awarding of a contract to company X is almost incidental.

Getting Andy Burnham doing a load of publicity, okay, that's different. But simply saying who won, who cares?

mancbus

I am certainly no expert on purdah but it doesn't stop anything and seems highly unlikely that the awarding of a contract to a company in a huge process like franchising, is likely to drum up loads of votes or controversy.

Bee Network is the policy and it's happening. The awarding of a contract to company X is almost incidental.

Getting Andy Burnham doing a load of publicity, okay, that's different. But simply saying who won, who cares?
I think you’re right since they’ve been bidding for it since November. And as you said it’s only an announcement why would it be delayed?

bussnapperwm

Established Member
It'd be interesting if an operator who isn't running buses in Manchester has won something, wouldn't it? Especially if it was Mobico, RATP or Comfortdelgro.

daodao

Established Member
It'd be interesting if an operator who isn't running buses in Manchester has won something, wouldn't it? Especially if it was Mobico, RATP or Comfortdelgro.
The Singapore-based company Comfortdelgro does seem to be a likely contender; I used their route C1 in Cardiff last year and was impressed with the service quality, compared with D&G/Arriva who are the current/recent main local operators in Altrincham/East Cheshire, although their South Wales subsidiary (NAT) is about to prune its operations imminently, as @anthony263 has referred to on other threads.

I cannot imagine Stagecoach will retain all 4 of their existing depots serving the south and east of Greater Manchester covered by the tranche 3 tender award, particularly in view of their gains in tranche 2, and they are at serious risk of losing all 4. An "off the record" source stated that they are running down their Sharston depot in the expectation of losing it.

mangad

I cannot imagine Stagecoach will retain all 4 of their existing depots serving the south and east of Greater Manchester covered by the tranche 3 tender award, particularly in view of their gains in tranche 2, and they are at serious risk of losing all 4. An "off the record" source stated that they are running down their Sharston depot in the expectation of losing it.
Being the biggest operator with five depots, Stagecoach always had a lot to lose with franchising. They've lost one (Wigan), retained one (Middleton) and are gaining two (Queens Road and Oldham) so aren't doing too badly. If they come out with just one or two large franchises, they'll still be a sizeable operator in the Manchester bus scene.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Perhaps I may be mistaken, but I am sure that I read somewhere that Friday, 22nd March was to be the day of the announcement. Did anyone else see such a date as that?
It was indeed supposed to be today. (confirmed by a TfGM source)

mancbus

Being the biggest operator with five depots, Stagecoach always had a lot to lose with franchising. They've lost one (Wigan), retained one (Middleton) and are gaining two (Queens Road and Oldham) so aren't doing too badly. If they come out with just one or two large franchises, they'll still be a sizeable operator in the Manchester bus scene.
I personally if stagecoach win two large franchise they would keep both Stockport and Sharston.

Are the announcements coming tomorrow?

mancbus

What time is he due to arrive?
He already been in the morning.

Last minute speculation according to a source about winners I personally think if stagecoach were to win most franchises they would keep all four and diamond and first would run small franchises while go north west run wythneshawe.

Last edited:

Established Member
Purdah starts tomorrow for the local elections, so are they allowed to make any announcement before May now?

Status
Not open for further replies.