• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfL Capping/Fare calculation query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stargull

I am a bit mystified by the cost of a set of journeys taken the other day. It couldn't matter less, but I have been unable to work out exactly why these are the amounts charged, and if someone could I help it would put me out of my misery. I used contactless throughout.

Paddington (off peak) - Chancery Lane (Elizabeth Line + Central) £2.70
Chancery Lane - Green Park (off peak) £2.70
Green Park - Elstree & Borehamwood (Jubilee + Thameslink) £7.10 (Peak. Capped)
E&B - Paddington (Thameslink, Jubilee, Bakerloo) £2.40 (Off-peak. Capped)

The second journey is clearly the Zone 1-6 anytime cap (£14.90) but why £7.10 for the third journey? I thought it was a zone 1 - 2 cap plus fare for zone 2-6 on national rail, but don't think the numbers work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I am a bit mystified by the cost of a set of journeys taken the other day. It couldn't matter less, but I have been unable to work out exactly why these are the amounts charged, and if someone could I help it would put me out of my misery. I used contactless throughout.

Paddington (off peak) - Chancery Lane (Elizabeth Line + Central) £2.70
Chancery Lane - Green Park (off peak) £2.70
Green Park - Elstree & Borehamwood (Jubilee + Thameslink) £7.10 (Peak. Capped)
E&B - Paddington (Thameslink, Jubilee, Bakerloo) £2.40 (Off-peak. Capped)

The second journey is clearly the Zone 1-6 anytime cap (£14.90) but why £7.10 for the third journey? I thought it was a zone 1 - 2 cap plus fare for zone 2-6 on national rail, but don't think the numbers work.

Green Park to Elstree and Borehamwood - you reached the zones 1&2 cap of £8.10, and were then charged for a peak zones 3-6 NR journey at £4.40 - so £12.50 altogether.

You're return from E&B to Paddington meant the cap shifted to the zones 1-6 cap of £14.90.

Last edited:

Stargull

Ah! I hadn't realised it would be the zone 3 - 6 fare, I was looking at fares from zone 2. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.