• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFL London Underground Android Apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As TFL dont seem to have any official apps does anyone know of any good android apps for London Underground services? I am looking for an app that is similar to the National Rail app where i can view a list of live departures for London Underground Stations? Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
I use "London Tube Live" where you can search for a station and it shows each platform.

Or you can use Google Maps which I find to be quite good.

Or you have City Mapper which is good but I prefer Google Maps

Thanks for the suggestions.

Can i ask why do these apps (and websites) live departure boards not seem to work properly for stations that have more than one platform for the same direction?

For example.

Harrow On The Hill - P3 & P4 are showing the same exact trains. P5 & P6 are showing the same exact trains.

Northfields - P1 & P2 are showing the same exact trains. P3 & P4 are showing the same exact trains.

Richmond - P3 & P4 & P5 & P6 & P7 are all showing the same exact trains.

South Ealing - P1 & P2 are showing the same exact trains. P3 & P4 are showing the same exact trains.

Stanmore - P1 & P2 & P3 are all showing the same exact trains.

Wimbledon P1 & P2 & P3 & P4 are all showing the same exact trains.

Its the same for all other stations that have more than one platform for the same direction.

Is this normal for different platforms in the same directions to display the same exact trains?

rebmcr

Established Member
The issue is not because of multi-platform in and of itself, it's because of the ancient signalling used on the four Sub Surface Lines (SSL). The system isn't sophisticated enough to do all manner of things, multi-platform being just one of them.

Bombardier had the contract for 4LM (Four Lines Modernisation) but overpromised, resulting in them paying a get-out fee and TfL re-letting the contract to Thales. Unfortunately this has delayed the project to 2022 completion.

Daniel

Established Member
Regarding Harrow on the Hill in particular, it drops to specific platforms when the signaller clears the route into one. Up until that point it can go into either so is displayed on both - a northbound fast is actually displayed on three, 1, 3 & 4.

The issue is not because of multi-platform in and of itself, it's because of the ancient signalling used on the four Sub Surface Lines (SSL). The system isn't sophisticated enough to do all manner of things, multi-platform being just one of them.

Bombardier had the contract for 4LM (Four Lines Modernisation) but overpromised, resulting in them paying a get-out fee and TfL re-letting the contract to Thales. Unfortunately this has delayed the project to 2022 completion.

Regarding Harrow on the Hill in particular, it drops to specific platforms when the signaller clears the route into one. Up until that point it can go into either so is displayed on both - a northbound fast is actually displayed on three, 1, 3 & 4.

Thanks for the info. Out of interest are there any Metropolitan Line trains that are booked to use Platform 1 and Platform 2 at Harrow On The Hill? I know that they can use these if necessary but i have never seen any Metropolitan Line trains in these platforms.

Metroman62

Met trains on platform 2 are rare as there is no route south from that platform they can use. They do use platform 2 during engineering works to terminate trains from Anersham and then reverse northbound.

Platform 1 is used quite often during the evening peak for fast Amersham and Chesham services

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philthetube

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Out of interest are there any Metropolitan Line trains that are booked to use Platform 1 and Platform 2 at Harrow On The Hill? I know that they can use these if necessary but i have never seen any Metropolitan Line trains in these platforms.

There is one around 21.00 into platform 2. I am not sure if from Amersham or Chesham and I think it runs empty north, I am happy to be corrected.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
There is one around 21.00 into platform 2. I am not sure if from Amersham or Chesham and I think it runs empty north, I am happy to be corrected.

T471, 2052 Amersham Fast to Harrow-on-the-Hill. Terminates p2 2119, before running empty to Rickmansworth, d. 2124 a. 2135, thence to sidings.

sk688

Also , Harrow on the Hill has those really old train indicators that are white on black

Status
Not open for further replies.