• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFL merchant ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonbridge

Established Member
This is just another of those curios, to which @MikeWh may know the answer. When I use contactless for my travel, sometimes the fare appears on my statement as “Transport for London”, and sometimes as “TFL TRAVEL CHARGE”. Any idea why the two different names and what, if anything, determines which one is used? At first I thought it might depend on whether I used only TFL services or whether my travel was mixed, ie TFL and National Rail, but I noticed, for example, that days when I’ve used only busses have appeared under both names, so I don’t think that’s it. As I said, just another curio.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I also get different descriptions. I've no idea where they come from. I've also seen a similar issue with some online bookies, so it's possibly not anything TfL control.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No, they're both payments. One says "Tfl Travel Charge, London" and the other says "Tfl Travel CH, Victori, London".

AM9

Veteran Member
No, they're both payments. One says "Tfl Travel Charge, London" and the other says "Tfl Travel CH, Victori, London".
Do they maybe have more than one merchant ID depending on which service is used, e.g. LU vs LO vs Lizzie vs Buses etc.?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Do they maybe have more than one merchant ID depending on which service is used, e.g. LU vs LO vs Lizzie vs Buses etc.?
No. As the OP states they have had either when only using buses. In my case the journeys were all involving just Southeastern.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I THINK it's to do with where it's processed. Rattling round in the back of my tired little brain is that it's processed elsewhere if you reach the cap, so it's shown differently. But I may have that wrong. Indeed, I probably have.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I THINK it's to do with where it's processed. Rattling round in the back of my tired little brain is that it's processed elsewhere if you reach the cap, so it's shown differently. But I may have that wrong. Indeed, I probably have.
No caps were involved in any of my (wife's) transactions.

island

Veteran Member
This is speculative but it could be that they process so many transactions they need to have several different merchant numbers to avoid going over some limit somewhere. Bear in mind the core of the card authorisations network is an 80s mainframe system, probably written in COBOL, so it's entirely plausible that the system only supports (e.g.) 999999 transactions per merchant per day, which TfL would exceed.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This is speculative but it could be that they process so many transactions they need to have several different merchant numbers to avoid going over some limit somewhere. Bear in mind the core of the card authorisations network is an 80s mainframe system, probably written in COBOL, so it's entirely plausible that the system only supports (e.g.) 999999 transactions per merchant per day, which TfL would exceed.
Ahhh, COBOL, brings back fond memories. Thanks for this suggestion, it makes some sense.

lookapigeon

This is quite interesting, who are your bankers Londonbridge? And what type of card is it - Visa, Mastercard etc?

No one ever seems to pay particular attention to card merchant information - mine is always "TFL TRAVEL CHARGE" for the merchant, and location is a non-working address of "TFL.GOV.UK/CP"
It used to redirect many years ago to the page about contactless, but now just gets a 404.
When the contactless payment system first came in, the web address strangely showed as the merchant name until someone worked out it was switched incorrectly and changed it to what it is now.

I always use an Amex card and it shows "TFL TRAVEL CHARGE" but I recall mine always being "TFL TRAVEL CHARGE" on Visa/Mastercards.

lookapigeon

I've been to London yesterday and touching in from a Zone 6 NR station, and noticed there's a preauth from the station itself for £1.20 (?).

I've seen 10ps from TFL before (when riding the bus) but never the £1.20. Is this common when you travel from a non TFL controlled station?

I've never particularly cared much for the preauth figures as I know they're placeholders and the correct settled figure will appear in time, but who decides the (seemingly, to me anyway) random amounts?

Given these days people are a lot more twitchier with having notifications on their phone as soon as they've spent something do people get confused?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I usually see 10p preauth on the first touch whatever it is (either bus or NR station). I've never seen anything that big.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I've been to London yesterday and touching in from a Zone 6 NR station, and noticed there's a preauth from the station itself for £1.20 (?).

I've seen 10ps from TFL before (when riding the bus) but never the £1.20. Is this common when you travel from a non TFL controlled station?
Touches at NR stations inside the zones still go through the TfL system, so 10p is the more usual amount.

It's possible it may have been changed as part of the work to extend CPAY to another 53 NR stations by the end of the year though.

Status
Not open for further replies.