• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFL Rail - Reason for continued reduction in service in West (Paddington) compared to East (Liverpool Street)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
This is solely demand related. Excluding the newly added bit to Reading, the statistics for TfL Rail passenger wise was something like for every passenger that uses the Western branch, 9 use the Eastern branch. Even with the Reading branch bolstered onto it, I can't imagine it has massively changed. It is much, much quieter on that side.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
This is solely demand related. Excluding the newly added bit to Reading, the statistics for TfL Rail passenger wise was something like for every passenger that uses the Western branch, 9 use the Eastern branch. Even with the Reading branch bolstered onto it, I can't imagine it has massively changed. It is much, much quieter on that side.

I imagine that's because the main peak service is provided by GWR for the busiest stations on the line (Slough, Maidenhead and Twyford)
The other stations that TfL serve are basically villages such as Iver and Taplow

Non Multi

Between Slough and Reading social distancing on a 7 car set was easy, even pre-lockdown, because the car is king here. Passenger numbers may increase a bit when the many new apartments being built along the GWML become occupied.

itfcfan

Between Slough and Reading social distancing on a 7 car set was easy, even pre-lockdown, because the car is king here. Passenger numbers may increase a bit when the many new apartments being built along the GWML become occupied.

The bigger issue are the intermediate stations - Hayes & Harlington, Southall, West Ealing, Ealing Broadway to Paddington. Demand is far lower than usual, but you don't need many passengers (by London standards) to make keeping 2m distance on 5 car class 360 running at 2tph impossible. At peak times that is the case and numbers are only going to rise from here. Having 9 car class 345s at 4tph (while continuing to encourage essential journeys only) would make a big difference.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Currently the way it works between Hayes and Southall during the peak is you queue outside the station. You are allocated a carriage number which is printed on the platform. You are supposed to board that carriage number.i haven't seen this in action yet. But seen the queuing outside the station at Southall

Non Multi

YES I'VE SEEN THE SIGNS AT TAPLOW.
YOU WAIT AT THE ENTRANCE TO BE ALLOCATED A ZONE IN THE STATION FOR YOUR PURPLE TRAIN.

THESE NOTICES TO PASSENGERS ARE ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS, BECAUSE THESE ARE REALLY, REALLY, REALLY IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS. NORMAL MIXED CASE TEXT SIMPLY WON'T DO!

cactustwirly

Established Member
Currently the way it works between Hayes and Southall during the peak is you queue outside the station. You are allocated a carriage number which is printed on the platform. You are supposed to board that carriage number.i haven't seen this in action yet. But seen the queuing outside the station at Southall

I haven't seen any of this at Twyford

Veteran Member
YES I'VE SEEN THE SIGNS AT TAPLOW.
YOU WAIT AT THE ENTRANCE TO BE ALLOCATED A ZONE IN THE STATION FOR YOUR PURPLE TRAIN.

THESE NOTICES TO PASSENGERS ARE ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS, BECAUSE THESE ARE REALLY, REALLY, REALLY IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS. NORMAL MIXED CASE TEXT SIMPLY WON'T DO!

SO MAKE THEM AS DIFFICULT TO READ AS POSSIBLE. Apologies :)

OT: a local politician on my previous patch invariably wrote extremely lengthy e-mails ALL IN CAPS and with no paragraphing. I gave up trying to read them.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There appears to have been a reintroduction of Hayes shuttles through the morning peak today. The units go off to the depot from Paddington after the 0911 / 0941 arrivals.

matt_world2004

Established Member
There appears to have been a reintroduction of Hayes shuttles through the morning peak today. The units go off to the depot from Paddington after the 0911 / 0941 arrivals.
Yes. I have tried catching these at Paddington because they show themselves as terminating at Hayes and Harlington and next stop Acton Mainline but the PIS has been wrong and they are returning to the depot Acton main line doesn't have the stickers either.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

There are a few, but restricted to the early morning. They're all finished by 0848 departure from Paddington. TfL have the capacity to run more, so the only reason they are not is presumably demand related. But they are getting slowly busier so I imagine they will make an appearance throughout the day in coming weeks. Curtailing any service to T4 which is still signed out of use.

TrainSailing

Yes. I have tried catching these at Paddington because they show themselves as terminating at Hayes and Harlington and next stop Acton Mainline but the PIS has been wrong and they are returning to the depot Acton main line doesn't have the stickers either.

Hayes shuttles have not returned yet. Basically there is no easy way to display 'Not in service' or a blank PIS. So when returning to the depot or running ECS the Hayes headcode is used by most drivers hence why you might see a ECS back to the depot showing as a Hayes service. Also a 345 will run to Heathrow tomorrow in passenger service for the first time.

TS

matt_world2004

Established Member
Hayes shuttles have not returned yet. Basically there is no easy way to display 'Not in service' or a blank PIS. So when returning to the depot or running ECS the Hayes headcode is used by most drivers hence why you might see a ECS back to the depot showing as a Hayes service. Also a 345 will run to Heathrow tomorrow in passenger service for the first time.

TS
I've seen not in service displayed on the side displayed before.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

Nippy

345s to Heathrow not happening tomorrow. Will try again Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.