• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfN £70bn Masterplan unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
I couldn't see a thread for this already, apologies if there is one.
Transport for the North has unveiled its Masterplan (unless this is a re-hash of a previous announcement).
http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Rail-News/tfn-unveils-70bn-transport-masterplan-for-the-north
TfN unveils £70bn transport masterplan for the north
Transport for the North (TfN) has launched its £70bn blueprints to overhaul northern transport infrastructure over the next 30 years, connecting the major cities and moving forward with its flagship project Northern Powerhouse Rail (NPR).

TfN’s 30-year road and rail upgrade project outlines plans for a new station in Bradford, high-speed rail services from Liverpool to London, and improvements to major highways between the north’s biggest cities – all of which it says will “leave a legacy for future generations.”

The centrepiece is NPR and will put 1.3 million people within an hour’s train journey of at least four major northern cities with upgrades to existing lines in some areas and an entirely new line from Leeds to Manchester via Bradford.

Journey times between the cities will be halved, and TfN has also recommended a new high-speed twin-track rail link between Liverpool and Manchester which would meet HS2 near crew and connect Liverpool to London with 85-minute journeys.

The Strategic Transport Plan (STP) and investment programme will “rebalance decades of underinvestment and transform the lives of people in the north,” TfN says, by bringing £100bn in economic growth and 850,000 extra jobs to the region.

The plan aims to better connect the 16 million people in the north, spending £50 per person on strategic transport each year up to 2050, and will also include enhancements to existing rail networks and the continued roll out of smart ticketing.

The plans will now be considered by the statutory body’s board, which includes a number of metro mayors, council leaders and transport authority leaders, on 7 February. If approved, the plans will become TfN’s statutory advice to the government.

But some critics have shared concerns over how the project will be funded, with Hull North MP Diana Johnson stating that with huge London schemes such as Crossrail 2 already on the drawing board, the north may not be “getting the much-needed fairer share of transport investment.”

Jonathan Bray, director of the Urban Transport Group, said TfN needed to “tackle the big challenges” in the north, and it could “hopefully build a consensus around which Whitehall will feel obliged to act.”

When the proposals were discussed last year, Lord Prescott declared TfN a “bloody fraud” and told the BBC the body was promised to have statutory powers which was now clearly no longer the case.

But TfN’s chief executive Barry White called the STP a “hugely important document for the north” and that it would mean people in the north would have access to higher quality jobs and better connections to collaborate, trade and grow in a sustainable way.

He said: “This final plan will be a statutory document written by the north, for the north, and will be our blueprint to deliver transformational change and leave a legacy for future generations.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Downloaded - it will make some light reading for tonight.

Save your time, it's a wordy load of insubstantial wibble. I have mixed views on NPR itself, but more needs making of the basic stuff that would be quite easy to achieve such as an end to short DMUs, improved, clockface connectional timetabling and widespread electrification.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Platforms 15/16 are needed but appear to have been mothballed. How much money could that report say is ringfenced for that I wonder?

Andyh82

Established Member
More massive plans being announced with start dates many years in advance and completation dates many decades in advance.

People are just bored of stuff like this now when everyone knows of recent smaller rail or road projects that end up watered down, over budget, years late and they still have memories of all the many other major plans that never get off the ground.

whhistle

On Moderation
Journey times between the cities will be halved, and TfN has also recommended a new high-speed twin-track rail link between Liverpool and Manchester which would meet HS2 near crew and connect Liverpool to London with 85-minute journeys.
I realise it's an easy mistake.
But does anyone mis-spell Worcester with Winchester? No!

aye2beeviasea

It's a bribe to encourage Labour MPs in the North to vote for the government's Brexit strategy (once there is one) with promises that will quietly get 're-assessed' long before it's time to pay up.

Mogster

Pages and pages of hard core waffle. I stopped reading when the word agglomeration came up... :lol:

When are we going to start building 15&16... I’m listening... :s

Is 15/16 really the constraint? Isn't it more a question of making 13/14 wider, more shelter to stand in and wait (and easier to access from street level)? Capacity-wise, I'd start at the Castlefield/Salford end and grade separate these (at least to get the Bolton line separate). See what SBB have done at Zurich HB station, with very substantial flyovers to get the route to Oerlikon completely separate from the main route to Baden and to allow the main route services to access the new low level problems. Yep, you'd have high flyovers on the Manchester skyline but this seems a small price to pay given the cityscape here is far from pristine. Was the Ordsall Curve such a good idea: it's created two new flat crossings and TPE seems rarely to be able to get round it without a hold-up on the Southern end?

Mogster

I suppose ideally you’d do both. Wouldn’t the suggested flyovers be even more expensive than 15&16 and the changes at Oxford Road though?

Reading a recent MEN article about a meeting between Burnham and Grayling it now sounds very unlikely that 15&16 will be built. They are just waiting to make it public knowing it’ll cause aggro. Burnham wants the cash for his favored tram trains. I don’t understand how the suggested tram train proposals will relieve conjestion in Castlefield?

Previously proposals to add capacity centred on adding platforms to Piccadilly Station and expanding Oxford Road, but Mr Grayling suggested tram-trains may offer better value for money.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....olink-could-run-stockport-bolton-15734670.amp

Chester1

Established Member
No, it was, as I've posted many times, a mind-blowingly stupid idea. To join Picc and Vic, reinstating the Ardwick curve would have made a lot more sense.

That would have delivered the secondary benefit but not the primary benefit of removing TPE services to the Airport crossing the station throat. Your suggestion (plus electrification) would mean that all services from Chat Moss and Bolton could reach Piccadilly without going through Castlefield. Bolton Airport services would still need to though.

I am not against the 30 year plan but TfN must focus on quick improvements.

Mogster

IIrc the Oxford Road and Piccadilly projects would have been finished by now, barring overruns, if they’d have been started as originally planned.

Brush 4

How long has there been a Bolton Airport? It can't be a typo, as Bolton and Manchester are hardly similar words.

Andrew Nelson

Is 15/16 really the constraint? Isn't it more a question of making 13/14 wider, more shelter to stand in and wait (and easier to access from street level)? Capacity-wise, I'd start at the Castlefield/Salford end and grade separate these (at least to get the Bolton line separate). See what SBB have done at Zurich HB station, with very substantial flyovers to get the route to Oerlikon completely separate from the main route to Baden and to allow the main route services to access the new low level problems. Yep, you'd have high flyovers on the Manchester skyline but this seems a small price to pay given the cityscape here is far from pristine. Was the Ordsall Curve such a good idea: it's created two new flat crossings and TPE seems rarely to be able to get round it without a hold-up on the Southern end?

I can't remember the last time I've been on a Vic - Pic service that hasn't crawled through, or more usually stopped at Deansgate St'n.

Several of them were cancelled yesterday, and with no trams between the two either until ~2pm, a ball-acher too.

LM93

IIrc the Oxford Road and Piccadilly projects would have been finished by now, barring overruns, if they’d have been started as originally planned.

Not sure how long after the announcement I worked on it for, but when we put a tender together, the completion was around December 2019.

wireforever

Appears TfN will be happy when Warrington West station opens but the local paper states the other local station Sankey will be closing as it is no longer needed and to keep the current times on the line

PR1Berske

Established Member
Appears TfN will be happy when Warrington West station opens but the local paper states the other local station Sankey will be closing as it is no longer needed and to keep the current times on the line
Think it was always the case that Sankey would close.

td97

Established Member
The Northern Rail Industry Leaders (apparently representing around 40 organisations in the rail industry and aiming to aid with the delivery of Northern rail investment plans) have today had a big event launching their new report, titled 'Building the North's New Railways'. They aim to work alongside TfN to influence rail policy across the region.
Their report is available here (Page 10 for recommendations (6 in your PDF reader)).

Interestingly, a section of the recommendations focuses on de-carbonisation through targeted electrification, and bi-mode and hydrogen trains.
DECARBONISATION
8. NRIL propose to support TfN to develop a de-carbonisation route map for the railway in the north with the aim of creating a leading position for both transport authorities and the regional supply chain. This will include the use of targeted electrification schemes, and self powered zero carbon trains, such as hydrogen fuel cell where appropriate.
9. NRIL’s recommended approach includes for conventional electrification of intensively used lines and specifying low to zero carbon self-powered trains, such as low emission bi-mode, hydrogen fuel cell or battery for through services onto less intensively used parts of the Network. Option selection should be based on robust whole system, whole life assessments.
Definitely seems to be a promising start, especially with their targets to increase local skills within the sector and the big rail-industry partners.

Status
Not open for further replies.