• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW 15x/17x withdrawals (17x now finished)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Hello

There is a thread to track the cascades of 170s to EMR, and a thread to note the day to day availability of 175s during their plague, but nothing to track the withdrawals of 150/not staying 153s/158s and 175s.

Please do update this thread when you become aware of another train standing down and being released to the leasing company. I believe all 175/0 need to go by the end of August.

EDIT 6/1/2024:
Class 170 and Class 175 fleets have been stood down entirely. All 175s have been debranded and stored. All 170s have transferred to EMR, except for 170208, which is stored at Cardiff Canton ahead of transfer at the end of January.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
The path for tomorrow is in to take another unit(s) to Landore.

Believe 175004, 010 and 011 are now stood down so will be amongst the next ones to go.

anamyd

On Moderation
I wonder what Angel will do with the 175s they get back?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

are the condemned ones off lease so far.

These units are off lease from TfW but not condemned from operating stock - Angel Trains are still offering them as available for lease.

There’s a big difference between condemned and off-lease.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
These units are off lease from TfW but not condemned from operating stock - Angel Trains are still offering them as available for lease.

There’s a big difference between condemned and off-lease.
I think you know exactly what I mean. Condemned from TfW.

The path for tomorrow is in to take another unit(s) to Landore.

Believe 175004, 010 and 011 are now stood down so will be amongst the next ones to go.
Thanks! Updated as such. Only four two cars left then!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think you know exactly what I mean. Condemned from TfW.
Condemned isn't a synonym of off-lease though. It has connotations of structural unsoundness. You wouldn't describe an unoccupied building as being condemned simply because it wasn't being used.

Whilst I do expect that the most likely destination for the 175s is the shredder at Newport, this isn't a foregone conclusion.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Condemned isn't a synonym of off-lease though. It has connotations of structural unsoundness. You wouldn't describe an unoccupied building as being condemned simply because it wasn't being used.

Whilst I do expect that the most likely destination for the 175s is the shredder at Newport, this isn't a foregone conclusion.

Agreed, on the railway condemned means withdrawn from traffic and ahead of being removed from the rolling stock library. The 175s are what would be traditionally shown as Stored (either serviceable or unserviceable) as they are simply off lease, similar to 379s etc.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

Agreed, on the railway condemned means withdrawn from traffic and ahead of being removed from the rolling stock library. The 175s are what would be traditionally shown as Stored (either serviceable or unserviceable) as they are simply off lease, similar to 379s etc.
Okay, that’s fine, I get that. We can surely move on now :)

On Moderation
Condemned isn't a synonym of off-lease thought. It has connotations of structural unsoundness. You wouldn't describe an unoccupied building as being condemned simply because it wasn't being used.
The same applies with the use of “withdrawn”, which is prevalent as a term for stock taken out of services. “Withdrawn” and “condemned” can by used interchangeably and really relate to vehicles being moved to a specific status on the national vehicle register.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
3 really, I think we can safely say 008 won't see any future use with TfW too!
Surely they won’t last long. There’s not much that can be done with a fleet of three trains (although I’m aware that’s how many 170s they now have), unless all remaining 175s become a common fleet regardless of mixed lengths.

sd0733

Established Member
Surely they won’t last long. There’s not much that can be done with a fleet of three trains (although I’m aware that’s how many 170s they now have), unless all remaining 175s become a common fleet regardless of mixed lengths.
Unlikely. That Landore path is scheduled to run every Friday now.

Looks like officially there are 3 175/0 diagrams still. However one Is uncovered (shortformed 3vs5 car) one is covered by 2x153 and one by a 150.

175001 is on a 175/1 diagram and 009 is on a 150 diagram. 003 has been stopped at Chester since 8th June too.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I hope the 175/1s will last a fair while longer. I’m quite sad to see such a big decline especially as they’re not likely to have a home after.

Thanks so much for the information.

sd0733

Established Member
I hope the 175/1s will last a fair while longer. I’m quite sad to see such a big decline especially as they’re not likely to have a home after.

Thanks so much for the information.
As I understand it the /1s will follow immediately after the /0s. Things may change but that seems to be the consensus.

Anonymous10

Established Member
As I understand it the /1s will follow immediately after the /0s. Things may change but that seems to be the consensus.
By that logic unless the mk4 sets get alot more reliable or the 197s start on more south routes soon that'll cause yet more cancellations due to a over stretched fleet....

sd0733

Established Member
By that logic unless the mk4 sets get alot more reliable or the 197s start on more south routes soon that'll cause yet more cancellations due to a over stretched fleet....
The idea is one 197 will be accepted each week to replace the one going off lease.

Anonymous10

Established Member
The idea is one 197 will be accepted each week to replace the one going off lease.
Still they'll need to be south soon I thought all north diagrams apart from the Holyhead-Birmingham which interior with cambrian are 197s already?

Topological

It needs to be 2 x 197 for each 175 as well as Manchester is booked as a 5 car 197 and hence needs 2 units.

Either way it looks like a summer of fun is ahead.

Topological

A 3 car 197 would be better than the 2 car sprinters that show up on it currently, and that doesn't take 2 units.
True

But the 2 cars are only there because TfW are unwilling to provide what they are supposed to. That should not become the benchmark. Had TfW maintained their 175s and produced a plan where the units going off lease were already well covered then we would not be seeing the 2 car sprinters.

Anyway, we are where we are. It is just difficult to see how a private operator would have done worse.

50002Superb

According to Railways Illustrated June 2023 the following are to be returned to Porterbrook as the 398s and 756s are introduced:

153320/323/325/329/333/361/367/369
153906/909/910/913/914/921/922/926/935

There’s no date specified

Geeves

Established Member
I can't really see Northern wanting to take on another fleet but you never know and again it's the government that has the final say. 175s to Clitheroe will be a nice ride! I could see Chiltern being a good fit. Wasn't it rumoured that 175s might end up on E W rail?

dunc695

I can't really see Northern wanting to take on another fleet but you never know and again it's the government that has the final say. 175s to Clitheroe will be a nice ride! I could see Chiltern being a good fit. Wasn't it rumoured that 175s might end up on E W rail?

Well they love hand me down units on the Southport line for a start! :lol:

Caaardiff

So far I think the rumours have been Chiltern, Northern, E&W and GWR. Apparently its only the 2 cars that have found a new home, or for now at least.

How desperate are Northern for units? Don't forget TFW took on a small (12) fleet of 170s when they become available.

The_Train

Established Member
So far I think the rumours have been Chiltern, Northern, E&W and GWR. Apparently its only the 2 cars that have found a new home, or for now at least.

How desperate are Northern for units? Don't forget TFW took on a small (12) fleet of 170s when they become available.
Chiltern and E&W is the same thing and in my humble opinion is the most likely destination of the 175s