• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW 15x/17x withdrawals (17x now finished)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
Carmarthen no longer sign Canton. Given Canton is signed by only CVL and Cardiff mainline drivers, Crewe only by Crewe, Chester only by Chester and Landore only by a handful of Cardiff drivers, something will have to give.
I'd be amazed if it's any solution other than Carmarthen learning Landore. It keeps jobs in Wales and it's the only depot along the actual Shrewsbury - Swansea route. So long as they can be persuaded to take on overnight work....

The Prisoner

001 parked behind platform 7 at Chester station. Looks to have had works done to the bogies. Probably for hand back, but if they were going for scrap would they bother?

Can see another 175 from the platforms in the depot

Attachments

• IMG_3978.jpeg
    IMG_3978.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 125

Class15

On Moderation
001 parked behind platform 7 at Chester station. Looks to have had works done to the bogies. Probably for hand back, but if they were going for scrap would they bother?

I think they have to be handed back to the ROSCO in a good condition even if no work is planned for them in the future.

Western 52

Interesting that TfW branding has not been removed.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Afternoon

Is this ECS move down to Landore likely to be a 175 please?

Thank you

Dave
Presumably as Holyhead has stored 175s and Landore is a location handback checks are being carried out.

Jez

Established Member
I saw a 3 car 175 passing through Cardiff Central on the middle lines between Platforms 3 and 2 about 6pm yesterday. I didnt get the number and couldnt find it on RTT unfortunately but assume it was heading to Landore.

Future

I saw a 3 car 175 passing through Cardiff Central on the middle lines between Platforms 3 and 2 about 6pm yesterday. I didnt get the number and couldnt find it on RTT unfortunately but assume it was heading to Landore.
Was 175104 on 5W78

Pacco

Saw a 3-car formation of dog boxes today coming out of Manchester Piccadilly on the fast up at full chat. If I hadn't been wedged into my Northern 150 seat I would have fell off my chair.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Saw a 3-car formation of dog boxes today coming out of Manchester Piccadilly on the fast up at full chat. If I hadn't been wedged into my Northern 150 seat I would have fell off my chair.
Looks like it was 153361+153362+153922
Surely as more 197s roll into service we'll see more triples out and about?

MP393

Edit - It was too strange to be true! 197108 now showing as working these.

175105 is currently (bizarrely) showing allocated to work

1V95 08:19 Holyhead - Cardiff
1W61 14:53 Cardiff - Manchester
1V62 18:30 Manchester - Cardiff.

I can only imagine this will change, as is usually the case for very early allocations, but posting just in case it doesn’t! The unit is showing as at Holyhead since 31/10 where it worked ECS from Chester as 5Z75.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
175105 is currently (bizarrely) showing allocated to work

1V95 08:19 Holyhead - Cardiff
1W61 14:53 Cardiff - Manchester
1V62 18:30 Manchester - Cardiff.

I can only imagine this will change, as is usually the case for very early allocations, but posting just in case it doesn’t! The unit is showing as at Holyhead since 31/10 where it worked ECS from Chester as 5Z75.
It has indeed changed; 197 108 is now showing.

Bit early, though - I thought allocations didn't appear until 02.00 / 03.00?

MP393

It has indeed changed; 197 108 is now showing.

Bit early, though - I thought allocations didn't appear until 02.00 / 03.00?

I think it just depends on when certain teams have time/certain systems! I have known both XC & TfW allocations to show as early as 22:00 the night before, and some Northern allocations too (usually when they are being stabled at outstations, where it will be the only unit there to start the day, for example)

Not quite sure how a 175 slipped through the net there however!

Welshguy1048

Morning

Is this ECS move tomorrow likely to be a 175 - going to Crewe Gresty Green....?

Thank you

Dave

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
150269 and 270 have departed TfW back to Neville Hill today on 5E17.
I can't help finding it very ironic that they were claimed to be brought in "to allow the Borderlands Line to provide a full service" after the Craven Arms fires, and yet they didn't work that line once.

MP393

I can't help finding it very ironic that they were claimed to be brought in "to allow the Borderlands Line to provide a full service" after the Craven Arms fires, and yet they didn't work that line once.

They did, admittedly not very often. A quick Facebook search on a “Sprinter” group has seen photos of 150270 up and down the line a number of times, but it does seem they were kept to the valleys for most of their stay. They aren’t ideal on the Bidston route due to lack of door controls in the saloons, only at the cab ends, which with frequent stops and lots of ticket selling, it’s not ideal to have to keep running to and from an end door to operate the controls.

skyhigh

Established Member
So what? If they allowed other units to be released that then could work the Borderlines line then they clearly have allowed the line to have a better/full service which wouldn't have happened without the units.

L401CJF

Established Member
As said above they weren't any good on Bidstons due to the lack of intermediate doors.

Another reason they were kept away from North Wales is over concerns of one being allocated to a diagram that involves stopping at short platforms across Anglesey etc - with no intermediate door panels they would be unable to call at Llanfairpg, Valley etc (and others if in a longer formation with say a 158).

I believe they were just treated as a normal 150 so could be put on any diagram in theory, but the concern over short platforms had been raised, I recall a memo coming out confirming they wouldn't be allocated work on said routes (although I definitely saw one up the coast once!)

Bikeman78

Established Member
150270 definitely worked to Bidston within a few days of arriving at TfW. It escaped to Crewe on 1W80. Then did a day on the Blaenau branch ending at Chester and then spent a day on the Bidston line before 1V99 back to Cardiff. Of the two, it spent far more time away from Cardiff. By comparison, 150269 rarely strayed away from the valleys.

Jez

Established Member
150270 definitely worked to Bidston within a few days of arriving at TfW. It escaped to Crewe on 1W80. Then did a day on the Blaenau branch ending at Chester and then spent a day on the Bidston line before 1V99 back to Cardiff. Of the two, it spent far more time away from Cardiff. By comparison, 150269 rarely strayed away from the valleys.
Thats probabaly why i never had the pleasure of the northern units. i very rarely use the valley lines. I was lucky that whenever a 150 was substituting on the mainline it was a TFW unit (if you can call riding a 150 lucky of course!)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I was lucky that whenever a 150 was substituting on the mainline it was a TFW unit (if you can call riding a 150 lucky of course!)
I don’t think you can! Not on the mainlines anyway. On the Valley lines, I was always grateful for anything more than a bus.