• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW 15x/17x withdrawals (17x now finished)

sd0733

Established Member
The only 08.10 I can see from Crewe to Cardiff is an ecs movement, 5V35? Which matches in digits the 5Z35 Chester to Crewe and 5F35 Cardiff to Canton.

The 08.10 is pathed through to Carmarthen, so I guess it's an ecs part using the path of a passenger service as far as Cardiff; an ecs move for 175s would make sense - and it doesn't mean they'll be coming back into service.
On RTT yes, but it's Reverted to 1V35 on the system.
May well not happen though could Just dissappear like last week or go back to a class 5 ecs

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lurcheroo

Units still haven’t left Chester, they were awaiting a fitter but I think that's been sorted. It will be empty stock if it runs though, definitely not in passenger service.
I’ve just watched it leave Chester heading towards Crewe

sd0733

Established Member
Just passed the Crewe webcams. Definitely working.
Definitely ECS though. It even made its way onto Crews job cards so looked rather plausible but seems to have been a glitch showing all along, Sorry :oops:

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
What is the current best estimate as to when TfW will be able to release any of their 150s?
Don't you mean scrap? Unlikely they'll find a new home.
Supposedly no sign of them leaving until Q3 2024 at the earliest.
Other than the 67s, I think the 150s were originally planned to be the last of the ex-ATW fleets to go off-lease from TfW, with the rest all expected to have gone by now. The 150s (including 6x class 150/9 three-car sets that never happened) were due to follow on 31/12/2023. Clearly that is never going to happen (that is now under 25 days away, and lots has changed - for example both the 67s and 170s appear to have been leased beyond the end of the then-expected 15 year KeolisAmey franchise but the 170s have mostly now left and more recent reports have suggested that the 67s are only leased until 2028 and may then be replaced as part of decarbonisation efforts).

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Other than the 67s, I think the 150s were originally planned to be the last of the ex-ATW fleets to go off-lease from TfW, with the rest all expected to have gone by now. The 150s (including 6x class 150/9 three-car sets that never happened) were due to follow on 31/12/2023. Clearly that is never going to happen (that is now under 25 days away, and lots has changed - for example both the 67s and 170s appear to have been leased beyond the end of the then-expected 15 year KeolisAmey franchise but the 170s have mostly now left and more recent reports have suggested that the 67s are only leased until 2028 and may then be replaced as part of decarbonisation efforts).
Are you forgetting about the 158s?

The_Train

Established Member
175101 and 175109 booked to depart Chester tomorrow.

Edited to remove the rest as not correct
Was it these 2 units which moved today? What was the destination?

Another 175 after handback work?

Anybody know what worked this please?

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Are you forgetting about the 158s?
Nope; the expected lease end date for them (along with the 769s and 153s) was 31/10/2022 which, if it had happened, would have left the 150s and 67s as the only ex-ATW vehicles still in service with TfW into 2023 (the 175s having been due off-lease 31/05/2022).

Jez

Established Member
Nope; the expected lease end date for them (along with the 769s and 153s) was 31/10/2022 which, if it had happened, would have left the 150s and 67s as the only ex-ATW vehicles still in service with TfW into 2023 (the 175s having been due off-lease 31/05/2022).
This just shows how delayed the 197s are. Obviously the original plan was to replace all 175 diagrams by May 22 and then the Cambrian 158s by October 22. The first unit didnt even enter service until Nov 2022 and it could be aniother year before they replace all 158s!

Liverpool 507

Considering the Liverpool services have been bus replacements the past few days, due to lack of available 197s, will 150s continue on some services on the Borderlands line from Monday?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
This just shows how delayed the 197s are. Obviously the original plan was to replace all 175 diagrams by May 22 and then the Cambrian 158s by October 22. The first unit didnt even enter service until Nov 2022 and it could be aniother year before they replace all 158s!
Yes, it is poor. I’m shocked that it’ll be another year before they’re introduced on the Cambrian.

Jez

Established Member
Yes, it is poor. I’m shocked that it’ll be another year before they’re introduced on the Cambrian.
Me too.

To be fair though if I had to choose to keep any of the current legacy fleet it would be the 158s. I've always had a lot of time for them.

Western 52

Me too.

To be fair though if I had to choose to keep any of the current legacy fleet it would be the 158s. I've always had a lot of time for them.
Indeed. I prefer a 158 to a 197, and the difference in ride quality is definitely noticeable.

sd0733

Established Member
The 170 diagram doent seem to have survived into the new diagrams so does look like any further work will be on an ad-hoc basis.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The 170 diagram doent seem to have survived into the new diagrams so does look like any further work will be on an ad-hoc basis.
Yes I was certain it would be. It seemed very odd to have specific diagrams for one unit.

Yes I was certain it would be. It seemed very odd to have specific diagrams for one unit.
Not really. As it’s the only 3 car unit able to work to Maesteg, it makes a lot of sense to diagram it to help avoid 5 car workings at platforms too short to take them.

Jez

Established Member
Not really. As it’s the only 3 car unit able to work to Maesteg, it makes a lot of sense to diagram it to help avoid 5 car workings at platforms too short to take them.
They could put a 150 and 153 together to make a 3 car for Maesteg if there was enough capacity available.

I doubt there would be any 5 car formations!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Would anyone be able to indicate how often 170208 has been out over the past month please? My humble reckoning is that it won’t be used again now, and will remain at Canton until EMR snatch it in a week or so.

sd0733

Established Member
Would anyone be able to indicate how often 170208 has been out over the past month please? My humble reckoning is that it won’t be used again now, and will remain at Canton until EMR snatch it in a week or so.
Shows on the system it arrived at Canton on the 13th December and hasn't left since.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Shows on the system it arrived at Canton on the 13th December and hasn't left since.
Thanks for the help there as always. :) I believe that and the 11th December (possibly 12th, not sure) are the only times it’s run at all since it became the only 170. We probably won’t see it out again.

Jez

Established Member
Thanks for the help there as always. :) I believe that and the 11th December (possibly 12th, not sure) are the only times it’s run at all since it became the only 170. We probably won’t see it out again.
And we predicted at the time it wouldn't get used much once it was the only 170 still with TFW!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
And we predicted at the time it wouldn't get used much once it was the only 170 still with TFW!
We did indeed :) It may be compatible with Sprinters and therefore able to be rescued if it broke down, but it just doesn't make sense to have booked work for a single unit of a distinctive type. And it is distinctive, not just by way of the obvious differences that customers see, but in that they've only ever worked Maesteg Cheltenham and Ebbw Vale, and I don't believe they can work other routes. 150/153 can and do end up going to West Wales, Cheshire, North Wales and Manchester, so it would never have been a great idea to pool it in with those.

It's a comfortable unit 208, but it's made some questionable noises lately. Hopefully it's sent up to EMR sounding a bit more healthy (not that EMR seem to mind that much about running shabby and unloved trains ;))