• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW 15x/17x withdrawals (17x now finished)

sd0733

Established Member
Thanks for the help there as always. :) I believe that and the 11th December (possibly 12th, not sure) are the only times it’s run at all since it became the only 170. We probably won’t see it out again.
No problem. Looking back it's last few days it did:

Dec 6th-10th On Canton

Dec 11th
Ecs to Bridgend
06:35 Bridgend to Cheltenham
08:46 Cheltenham to Maesteg
11:13 Maesteg to Cheltenham
13:45 Cheltenham to Maesteg
16:13 Maesteg to Gloucester
18:59 Gloucester To Maesteg
21:12 Maesteg to Cardiff

12th Dec
Same diagram again until swapped at Cardiff on 16:13 Maesteg to Gloucester
Then picked up
17:02/19:02/22:03 Cardiff to Ebbw Vale
18:05/20:05/23:15 Ebbw Cale to Cardiff

13th Dec
Same diagram again but swapped off 11:13 Maesteg to Cheltenham at Cardiff and hasn't been out since.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
There are three 158s on Maesteg Cheltenhams today which seems awfully generous. Not complaining in the slightest mind.

Jez

Established Member
There are three 158s on Maesteg Cheltenhams today which seems awfully generous. Not complaining in the slightest mind.
For a branch line Maesteg has done well for decent rolling stock over the years - 158s and 170s far better than 150s/153s! And they will apparently be getting 197s soon.

Im surprised 3 of the 158s are in the South with them needed on the Cambrian.

animationmilo

Everything is completely out of place due to the weather
I would guess that you could find lots of different stuff around today everything was trapped yesterday different places

rich.davies

How come there's a 158 that departs from Platform 3 at Wrexham that departs for Shrewsbury in the morning. It seems to be the only south bound service in the morning that goes from there.

berneyarms

Established Member
How come there's a 158 that departs from Platform 3 at Wrexham that departs for Shrewsbury in the morning. It seems to be the only south bound service in the morning that goes from there.
It comes from Shrewsbury and returns to there.

P3 is bi-directional.

Bob Price

Angel’s decision I believe. Might have been someone else’s but it wasn’t TfW’s, anyway. :)
There is a thread somewhere that said the leasing company had a customer so TfW had to give them up. Not sure if that is still the case but they are now off lease.

On Moderation
Angel’s decision I believe. Might have been someone else’s but it wasn’t TfW’s, anyway. :)
So nothing to do with the capacity at Chester depot not being able to support 175 and 197 fleets simultaneously?

Caaardiff

No 175's have effectively left TFW yet. They are either in storage or undergoing maintenance before end of lease handbacks. It was TFW who took the decision to remove them from service. Mainly because there was nowhere to consistently maintain them while still running them in service.

We did indeed :) It may be compatible with Sprinters and therefore able to be rescued if it broke down, but it just doesn't make sense to have booked work for a single unit of a distinctive type. And it is distinctive, not just by way of the obvious differences that customers see, but in that they've only ever worked Maesteg Cheltenham and Ebbw Vale, and I don't believe they can work other routes. 150/153 can and do end up going to West Wales, Cheshire, North Wales and Manchester, so it would never have been a great idea to pool it in with those.

It's a comfortable unit 208, but it's made some questionable noises lately. Hopefully it's sent up to EMR sounding a bit more healthy (not that EMR seem to mind that much about running shabby and unloved trains ;))
If it had been available for traffic, chances are it would have been used daily. Current fleet shortages would have ensured that. However, it’s been stopped for three weeks so hasn’t come out to play.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
No 175's have effectively left TFW yet. They are either in storage or undergoing maintenance before end of lease handbacks. It was TFW who took the decision to remove them from service. Mainly because there was nowhere to consistently maintain them while still running them in service.
Why have they been running ECS movements under the operator code of (ZZ) and other non TfW operator codes then?

QSK19

It's a comfortable unit 208, but it's made some questionable noises lately. Hopefully it's sent up to EMR sounding a bit more healthy (not that EMR seem to mind that much about running shabby and unloved trains ;))
EMR and healthy don’t go together - it’ll get sent up as is and no money spent on it (actually, having said that, they would spend some money on window stickers saying that an interior refresh is on the way!) :lol:

And whilst they’re at it, they might as well send EMR a few 158s once they’re withdrawn from service - and they must make sure that no remedial work is done to them either :lol:

Caaardiff

Why have they been running ECS movements under the operator code of (ZZ) and other non TfW operator codes then?
There's been a lot of ECS moves that have either been done by TFW drivers or by ROG drivers. There's also been moves to Depots such as Longsight and Ilford that TFW drivers don't sign.

RobShipway

Established Member
EMR and healthy don’t go together - it’ll get sent up as is and no money spent on it (actually, having said that, they would spend some money on window stickers saying that an interior refresh is on the way!) :lol:

And whilst they’re at it, they might as well send EMR a few 158s once they’re withdrawn from service - and they must make sure that no remedial work is done to them either :lol:
Have all the TFW class 170 units now transferred to EMR?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'm not aware of 170208 making it's way up yet unless I can be corrected. That is the last one from TfW
Correct, it hasn’t moved yet. It hasn’t worked since early December though, so it’s safe to say 170s are finished in Wales. CrossCountry’s excluded.

Bikeman78

Established Member
In revenue service? If so what's your source, it hasn't been in service for several weeks.
For the sake of discussion, if it gets repaired tomorrow, why wouldn't it? All the crew for the routes it can run on will still sign it.

Anonymous10

Established Member
For the sake of discussion, if it gets repaired tomorrow, why wouldn't it? All the crew for the routes it can run on will still sign it.
I'm just working off it being the only in the fleet and the consensus it was likely to only come out to cover other units.

I'm just working off it being the only in the fleet and the consensus it was likely to only come out to cover other units.
As you say, the consensus was it was likely to only come out to cover other units. My comment doesn’t contradict that. Expected to be released off exam / repairs towards the end of next week and, assuming that happens, it will be used as required in the remaining days before transfer.

Jez

Established Member
As you say, the consensus was it was likely to only come out to cover other units. My comment doesn’t contradict that. Expected to be released off exam / repairs towards the end of next week and, assuming that happens, it will be used as required in the remaining days before transfer.
Agreed. Also one of the other 170s was used in service the day before it was transferred back in December so yes its certainly possible it could appear. TFW still have a shortage of trains so if its available for service it would be used.

The Prisoner

Anyone know what happened to 175111? This was the Christmas tree at longsight. Is it being repaired to go off lease? Where is it now?

MP393

I noticed on RTT that 153909 was on the bay shuttle yesterday, this I believe has been missing from action for months

It’s been fitted with some dragging brake monitoring device too. Has been out of service for a very long time, and hasn’t been far since coming out - it’s been on the Bays every day it’s been out since it was released!