• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW class 398 Stadler Citylink tram trains

Bob Price

I can't find an open thread on these. Is there any news on them? I saw in a Tweet that some may be on test, if so has anyone seen any pictures.

Until the depot is complete there seems no point in delivering them, but it would be good to keep up with progress.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick Ashwell

The only news I've seen recently is that, rather ironically, they aren't suitable for on street running which was the entire point :lol:

Envoy

Established Member
The only news I've seen recently is that, rather ironically, they aren't suitable for on street running which was the entire point :lol:
Well, that’s interesting. So, they might just as well have ordered the entire fleet as tri-mode Class 756 Flirts which would have had the benefit of through sevices from the central valleys to the coast. Wonder if this is rumour or fact?

pdeaves

Established Member
Is there a possibility that something has become twisted (inadvertently) into something else? Clearly, they can't do street running at the moment as there is no street running track for them. Might that have become understood as 'they can't as they aren't suitable'? I don't know, just musing out loud.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is there a possibility that something has become twisted (inadvertently) into something else? Clearly, they can't do street running at the moment as there is no street running track for them. Might that have become understood as 'they can't as they aren't suitable'? I don't know, just musing out loud.

They are tram-type vehicles, so if modification is needed for them to be UK road-legal, I'm sure that will be done later at far lower cost than new-build.

Do you have a link, or were you told this orally or is this pure gossip?

The Welsh Govt only a few weeks ago published a significant map showing a potential extension from Cardiff Bay to Tremorfa in Southern Cardiff which would require significant on street running.

I agree with @pdeaves that it sounds like something has got twisted(/made up).

Bob Price

They are exactly the same tram train used in Sheffield, so I would have thought they could be modified if it is needed.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
For those after a source the tweet in reply to myself links to the document but also includes an excerpt https://twitter.com/davecoaches2021/status/1500945307231793155?t=Wz3fQ8tzyOk75PzC44T_lw&s=19

Thanks.

None of that is unreasonable, nor a great conspiracy, nor a screw-up, and won't cost an absolute packet as part of the later works to introduce street running.

In short (as it's an image so a faff to retype) the "issue" is that the units have been specified with rail-profile wheels, because using tram-profile wheels requires modification of pointwork on the railway sections on which they will operate, and changing the wheel profile later is lower risk than changing the infrastructure now. There are also a few other minor things cited which will depend on what on-street running is planned and what will be wired, such as larger batteries and 750VDC based fast charging, plus something about "controls for road use", i guess that means indicators etc, though I'm surprised they weren't specced now due to the low cost.

Established Member
For those after a source the tweet in reply to myself links to the document but also includes an excerpt https://twitter.com/davecoaches2021/status/1500945307231793155?t=Wz3fQ8tzyOk75PzC44T_lw&s=19
What exactly are “on-street running controls” are these controls that can be accessed from the outside of the vehicle at street level? What would be the point of that? Surely the same controls can be used by the driver whether running on the existing valley lines or a new street running tramway. Also the T68s ran on the Metrolink with wheel profiles that were known to be incompatible with the infrastructure for their entire lives, which was the reason for their withdrawal with M5000s which were built with a superior wheel profile.
Thanks.

None of that is unreasonable, nor a great conspiracy, nor a screw-up, and won't cost an absolute packet as part of the later works to introduce street running.
It does all seem a bit disorganised that what are trams have been ordered when no light rail infrastructure exists or has been built, but I would agree that none of it is unreasonable or a great conspiracy or screw-up, but what is the reason that 158s or 175s couldn’t have run the valley lines service until such a time as the street running section has been built to avoid them going to waste?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What exactly are “on-street running controls” are these controls that can be accessed from the outside of the vehicle at street level? What would be the point of that? Surely the same controls can be used by the driver whether running on the existing valley lines or a new street running tramway. Also the T68s ran on the Metrolink with wheel profiles that were known to be incompatible with the infrastructure for their entire lives, which was the reason for their withdrawal with M5000s which were built with a superior wheel profile.

I am guessing it's referring to stuff like indicators, brake lights and the likes. Not sure why these couldn't be done from new as they wouldn't cost much, but I guess if work will need doing for street running that may never happen or may be many years off, there's no harm postponing it all.

Metrolink trams indeed rode like utter carts partly due to having tram wheel profiles on train rails, but this isn't about riding like a cart, this is about "raised check rails at pointwork and crossings", which one assumes were fitted on Metrolink, or weren't required by standards at the time, at a slightly higher derailment risk?

It does all seem a bit disorganised that what are trams have been ordered when no light rail infrastructure exists or has been built, but I would agree that none of it is unreasonable or a great conspiracy or screw-up, but what is the reason that 158s or 175s couldn’t have run the valley lines service until such a time as the street running section has been built to avoid them going to waste?

Why carry on stinking the place out with filthy old DMUs when you can get the wires up?

Established Member
I am guessing it's referring to stuff like indicators, brake lights and the likes. Not sure why these couldn't be done from new as they wouldn't cost much, but I guess if work will need doing for street running that may never happen or may be many years off, there's no harm postponing it all.
If it may never happen then they should have ordered more heavy rail stock e.g. FLIRTs, rather than trams to run entirely on heavy rail lines.
Metrolink trams indeed rode like utter carts partly due to having tram wheel profiles on train rails, but this isn't about riding like a cart, this is about "raised check rails at pointwork and crossings", which one assumes were fitted on Metrolink, or weren't required by standards at the time, at a slightly higher derailment risk?
I didn’t think they did anything to the Bury/Altrincham infrastructure at the time except re-electrify it. I assume they now have “tram” rails. If “raised check rails” are what they have on the Metrolink approach to Manchester Victoria then I know what they are. Otherwise I don’t. Is the problem TfW have compatibility with them, or incompatibility?
Why carry on stinking the place out with filthy old DMUs when you can get the wires up?
If you are putting wires up then run EMUs, if you are putting rails in the road then run trams, but if you are supposed to be doing both and only doing half a package of works, why bother when you’ve got some perfectly good DMUs you can run until you decide what you’re actually going to do. Is the valley electrification 25kV or DC at a tram voltage?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If it may never happen then they should have ordered more heavy rail stock e.g. FLIRTs, rather than trams to run entirely on heavy rail lines.

It might however happen (probably will), so why not be prepared for it?

I didn’t think they did anything to the Bury/Altrincham infrastructure at the time except re-electrify it. I assume they now have “tram” rails. If “raised check rails” are what they have on the Metrolink approach to Manchester Victoria then I know what they are. Otherwise I don’t. Is the problem TfW have compatibility with them, or incompatibility?

According to the text, you need raised check rails on pointwork and crossings if they will be used by vehicles with tram or hybrid profile wheels. The problem is that additional mainline infrastructure work to add them is considered to add risk to the project when that can be done later.

If you are putting wires up then run EMUs, if you are putting rails in the road then run trams, but if you are supposed to be doing both and only doing half a package of works, why bother when you’ve got some perfectly good DMUs you can run until you decide what you’re actually going to do.

Because old DMUs stink, and removing them from urban areas is high priority.

Phased programmes of work are quite normal. Is there no point opening East West Rail until the Cambridge bit happens (if ever)?

Is the valley electrification 25kV or DC at a tram voltage?

25kV. If the Wiki page is anything to go by, the 398s are 25kV and battery only. So what it's saying is that longer street running would require them to have 750VDC charging capability added.

It appears from a bit of Googling that a short extension of the existing line is the priority. This I think involves street running on batteries, but I guess could be done with rail-profile rail as it's quite short, and will presumably be on reserved track rather than down the road. There is longer-term talk of more street running, such as all the way across Cardiff, which would require the modifications.

A quick quote:

Alexia Course, director of rail operations at TfW, says: “The on-street running is for 1.5km at the end of the line.

"So, mostly, the tram-trains will operate as trains. But we are building for the future and if there is funding for more street running, then the vehicles are capable of being more tram than train as well.

"We would have to build platforms on the streets, because level access is important.”

edwin_m

Veteran Member
They are exactly the same tram train used in Sheffield, so I would have thought they could be modified if it is needed.
The Cardiff ones have a floor height to suit rail platforms, but the Sheffield ones have entrances at the right level for the low platforms on the tramway sections.

Metrolink does indeed have raised check rails, as do tram-trains on the Continent (where they are quite widely used for other reasons). They are very visible on off-street sections of Metrolink.

The issue is that railway wheel flanges are much too big for the grooves in street track, and making the grooves bigger would be dangerous to other road users. So tram flanges are much thinner and shallower than railway ones.

However this means that the "back to back" dimension isn't compatible with railway points. The back of the wheel is supposed to rub against the check rail before the opposite wheel can go the wrong way through the gap in the crossing, but this can't happen with a thinner tram flange unless the check rail is moved closer to the rail which makes it incompatible with railway wheels.

The solution is to make the inner part of the tram-train wheel thicker at the back, to match the railway back-to-back dimension. This part is above rail level so doesn't affect the street groove, but if the checkrails are raised above the top of the running rail then they can engage with these wheels as well as normal ones.

dosxuk

Established Member
Also worth pointing out that the Sheffield Tram-Trains have the same deal with different wheel profiles. Only those 399's fitted with the tram-train profile wheels are allowed off the system and onto the Network Rail infrastructure, and only those fitted with tram profile wheels are allowed to go on the whole of the Supertram infrastructure (IIRC tram-train profile is not allowed past Shalesmoor on the Hillsborough branch, or Sheffield Station on the Halfway branch). They have the ability to change wheelsets in the depot and this has been done several times.

tomuk

Established Member
It might however happen (probably will), so why not be prepared for it?
Because it is a waste of time and money. Decide what service you want to provide first then provide appropriate infrastructure and vehicles for it. The now extended to 1.5km running at the end of the bay is just a fig leaf for buying trams-trains for no reason.

507 001

Established Member
Also the T68s ran on the Metrolink with wheel profiles that were known to be incompatible with the infrastructure for their entire lives, which was the reason for their withdrawal with M5000s which were built with a superior wheel profile.

The T68s rode like carts at first because the track was knackered. Once the major renewals of 2008/2009 had been done they rode really well.

The M5000s can only be described as lively, and have a horrendous hunting problem on anything less than perfect rail, which we don’t have. Their wheel profile is anything but superior.

The M5000s have many, many issues but this isn’t the thread for them.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Because it is a waste of time and money. Decide what service you want to provide first then provide appropriate infrastructure and vehicles for it. The now extended to 1.5km running at the end of the bay is just a fig leaf for buying trams-trains for no reason.

It's really not. Moving the terminus from behind an abandoned building to somewhere more useful will grow usage.

And there really isn't much difference between a high floor tram and a light rail metro train other than the small cost of the bits required for street running e.g. skirting and road style lighting.

tomuk

Established Member
It's really not. Moving the terminus from behind an abandoned building to somewhere more useful will grow usage.

And there really isn't much difference between a high floor tram and a light rail metro train other than the small cost of the bits required for street running e.g. skirting and road style lighting.
If by abandoned buiding you mean the old station it has been renovated as office space and is joined by a cafe in a 'shed' on the old trackbed. If you really wanted to you could extended as heavy rail the line down to James Street.

The 398s aren't a high floor tram or a light rail metro vehicle. They are a 25kv equipped Tram Train.

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to have bought a larger batch of 'standard' EMU like CAF 331 or Aventras than a mixture of Flirts and Tram Trains.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The 398s aren't a high floor tram or a light rail metro vehicle. They are a 25kv equipped Tram Train.

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to have bought a larger batch of 'standard' EMU like CAF 331 or Aventras than a mixture of Flirts and Tram Trains.

It might, but then you'd have to buy them again when you added street running in Cardiff as is the plan long term (as Queen St is not that usefully located).

On the other hand the FLIRT is a premium product, so the tram-train (which is nothing that special, it's a beefed up high floor tram with a transformer for 25kV) could well have been cheaper.

You don't want any more CAF junk. South Wales has been (mostly) mercifully spared it. And it doesn't offer level boarding, unlike the FLIRT and tram-train.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Also worth pointing out that the Sheffield Tram-Trains have the same deal with different wheel profiles. Only those 399's fitted with the tram-train profile wheels are allowed off the system and onto the Network Rail infrastructure, and only those fitted with tram profile wheels are allowed to go on the whole of the Supertram infrastructure (IIRC tram-train profile is not allowed past Shalesmoor on the Hillsborough branch, or Sheffield Station on the Halfway branch). They have the ability to change wheelsets in the depot and this has been done several times.
The Sheffield wheel profile was developed by the University of Huddersfield for the tram-train pilot and differs somewhat from the Metrolink one, although it also needs raised check rails. It requires grooved rail with a larger groove than standard tramway rail (the original Sheffield track was worn out at the time, so the tram-train project paid for it to be relaid). That is why the tram-trains need the wheelsets changed to operate on other Supertram routes. The tram-train wheels would not fit in the grooves.

I imagine TfW will use the large groove rail for street running extensions, so that the Sheffield wheel profile can be adopted. But that will require raised check rails to be fitted to the existing infrastructure.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The Sheffield wheel profile was developed by the University of Huddersfield for the tram-train pilot and differs somewhat from the Metrolink one, although it also needs raised check rails. It requires grooved rail with a larger groove than standard tramway rail (the original Sheffield track was worn out at the time, so the tram-train project paid for it to be relaid). That is why the tram-trains need the wheelsets changed to operate on other Supertram routes. The tram-train wheels would not fit in the grooves.

I imagine TfW will use the large groove rail for street running extensions, so that the Sheffield wheel profile can be adopted. But that will require raised check rails to be fitted to the existing infrastructure.
I recall that Karlsruhe also had to change the street rail for one with a larger groove when they adopted tram-trains. It's still much smaller than the gap you need when a surface is built up to rail level on heavy rail, as in various docks and the Weymouth "tramway". I don't believe fitting raised check rails is a major undertaking, and I suspect they will fit them as standard when pointwork comes up for renewal. There is however a compatibility concern with some kinds of road-rail vehicle (as well as steam locos with flangeless drivers - but they were banned long ago).

mmh

Established Member
Quite. It's ludicrous to buy rolling stock without any idea of how it will be used. TFW have plenty of form for this, but to be fair on them so does the railway as a whole. See also the complete mess that is HS2. Only in the railway world could you get away with a "business case" to spend billions which didn't include, err, what services you'd actually run.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Quite. It's ludicrous to buy rolling stock without any idea of how it will be used.

It's known full well how it is to be used, with some of that being done immediately and some coming later.

Does anyone know how the price of the tram train compared with the equivalent capacity of battery/EMU FLIRT? I bet the tram-train was cheaper. CAF can be ignored, you don't want it, it's rattly junk without level boarding.

Greybeard33

Established Member
I recall that Karlsruhe also had to change the street rail for one with a larger groove when they adopted tram-trains. It's still much smaller than the gap you need when a surface is built up to rail level on heavy rail, as in various docks and the Weymouth "tramway". I don't believe fitting raised check rails is a major undertaking, and I suspect they will fit them as standard when pointwork comes up for renewal. There is however a compatibility concern with some kinds of road-rail vehicle (as well as steam locos with flangeless drivers - but they were banned long ago).
I believe the check rails foul the standard Network Rail lower sector structure gauge, so every type of vehicle that uses the line has to be individually cleared. But the line through Rotherham is used by freight trains as well as Northern DMUs, so presumably this has not proved to be a show stopper in practice.

CAF can be ignored, you don't want it, it's rattly junk without level boarding.
Although the Citylink tram-train is not a native Stadler product. It was designed by Vossloh and is built at the Valencia factory Stadler acquired from Vossloh a few years ago. Its introduction in Sheffield was far from trouble free - problems with windscreens and brakes IIRC.

Last edited:

Chris125

Established Member
What exactly are “on-street running controls” are these controls that can be accessed from the outside of the vehicle at street level?

I'd assume it refers to any safety/signalling systems they decide to use for on-street running which would need the relevant kit fitted to the trams.

sefyllian

It seems perfectly possible to adapt them for on-street running, and entirely reasonable not to do so at this point as it’s not needed yet.

But – pure speculation here – how much on-street running is actually needed in Cardiff Bay? From the concept drawings, there is no on-street running along any roads at all, only two crossings (Lloyd George Avenue, near the current station, and Pierhead St, near the A4232 roundabout). There’s plenty of room in both locations to take the line over the road in a grade separated crossing, if you wanted to (bear in mind the whole area is being redeveloped anyway). And I don’t think it would be a huge problem to sever Lloyd George Avenue at the bottom anyway (just provide a pedestrian/cycle crossing, and the cars can go round Hemingway Road). The rest of the line to Tremorfa is obviously all separate already, so for the cost of one (maybe two) bridges, you could maintain complete separation from the road network, and not bother with changing the wheels at all (north west corridor notwithstanding). Would it be worth the effort/expense?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It seems perfectly possible to adapt them for on-street running, and entirely reasonable not to do so at this point as it’s not needed yet.

But – pure speculation here – how much on-street running is actually needed in Cardiff Bay? From the concept drawings, there is no on-street running along any roads at all, only two crossings (Lloyd George Avenue, near the current station, and Pierhead St, near the A4232 roundabout). There’s plenty of room in both locations to take the line over the road in a grade separated crossing, if you wanted to (bear in mind the whole area is being redeveloped anyway). And I don’t think it would be a huge problem to sever Lloyd George Avenue at the bottom anyway (just provide a pedestrian/cycle crossing, and the cars can go round Hemingway Road). The rest of the line to Tremorfa is obviously all separate already, so for the cost of one (maybe two) bridges, you could maintain complete separation from the road network, and not bother with changing the wheels at all (north west corridor notwithstanding). Would it be worth the effort/expense?
On-street running is a bit of a misnomer. Rail vehicles that run on line of sight, that aren't fenced off from pedestrians, and that cross roads without a fully-fledged level crossing need nearly all of the features being discussed - even if they never run in the same traffic lane as road vehicles.

Greybeard33

Established Member
On-street running is a bit of a misnomer. Rail vehicles that run on line of sight, that aren't fenced off from pedestrians, and that cross roads without a fully-fledged level crossing need nearly all of the features being discussed - even if they never run in the same traffic lane as road vehicles.
Except the wheel profile.

sefyllian

I guess I meant both on-street and line of sight together. To put it another way, which is the best option:

Build a short bridge in Cardiff Bay which would isolate that section from cars and pedestrians, meaning the whole line could be run as heavy rail like the rest of the network – no change to any trains or other infrastructure needed.

Or have that very short on-street/line-of-sight section, which means modifying all the vehicles, changes to all the rest of the network to cope with them, plus knock-on effects on timetables etc.

One big benefit of trams is that they can be threaded between existing buildings. But in this case nearly the whole area is going to demolished and rebuilt anyway, some of it on a very different street pattern. Seems like you might as well make the effort to keep the train line away from the road in that case, if there’s no real need for on-street running.