• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW Timetables September 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrd269697

Everyone is aware how badly TFW were affected by crew and fleet shortages this summer, that was even before the pingdemic hit. I was just curious if they plan to reinstate any former services in the next timetable change (ie the last trains on the Conwy valley line and borderlands line), the hourly Aberystwyth service, the Llandudno - Manchester service, and the morning HOW services aimed for commuters. And also any information on increasing the frequency of their valley lines services as whilst I’m not as familiar with the network in South Wales I am under the impression they are still running at a reduced frequency.

also, slightly off topic, now social distancing rules have ended, is there any hope Llanfairpwll, Valley, Dolgarrog, Sugar Loaf, Tygwyn, Llanaber ect will be served again? Still no word. They haven’t been served in over a year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Everyone is aware how badly TFW were affected by crew and fleet shortages this summer, that was even before the pingdemic hit. I was just curious if they plan to reinstate any former services in the next timetable change (ie the last trains on the Conwy valley line and borderlands line), the hourly Aberystwyth service, the Llandudno - Manchester service, and the morning HOW services aimed for commuters. And also any information on increasing the frequency of their valley lines services as whilst I’m not as familiar with the network in South Wales I am under the impression they are still running at a reduced frequency.

also, slightly off topic, now social distancing rules have ended, is there any hope Llanfairpwll, Valley, Dolgarrog, Sugar Loaf, Tygwyn, Llanaber ect will be served again? Still no word. They haven’t been served in over a year.

A planned Timetable is in RTT but not everything pre-COVID is going back but this Timetable is to be reviewed nearer the time to ascertain if it is sustainable. If not trains will be cancelled off and removed from the Timetable. Even today, TFW cannot give out any information regarding the closed stations.

Further information can be found here and which explains some of the problems:-

www.railforums.co.uk/threads/will-withdrawn-last-trains-of-the-day-eventually-be-reinstated.221131/#post-5263920

berneyarms

Established Member
I think that you can be fairly sure that a reduced timetable will continue until December at the earliest due at the very least to the training backlog.

Markdvdman

Well I checked the tfw site to book a ticket say from Merthyr at 5am on the Monday after the timetable change. First one is 6:06am but they are returning to the half hourly service alternating to Barry Island and Bridgend as before. No doubt 2 carriage trains but a welcome return at least.

Tom125

I hope this is the case - I’m finding it almost impossible to use the train right now on the Aberdare line, even driving to Abercynon isn’t much better with only 2 an hour from there. The promises from TfW have all been complete nonsense so far regarding improvements- it’s actually now worse than Arriva!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I hope this is the case - I’m finding it almost impossible to use the train right now on the Aberdare line, even driving to Abercynon isn’t much better with only 2 an hour from there. The promises from TfW have all been complete nonsense so far regarding improvements- it’s actually now worse than Arriva!

Arriva didn't have COVID which brought among other things ever changing situations, train crew shortages due suspension of training , staff self isolating and Depot staff having to social distance.to contend with. A Timetable has to be present in the system and what is shown currently is a planned Timetable but as throughout COVID, it has to be periodically reviewed and updated and reduced if necessary if it is judged not to be sustainable. TFW, according to Twitter, hope to come to a decision early this week.

The exile

Established Member
Has anyone at TfW ever explained why it is OK to have passengers alighting and boarding at the same door the guard uses ( and indeed approaching them to say where they’re going on a line with request stops) - when it’s one of two available but not when it’s the only one. Conwy and Gilfach Fargoed (?) excepted, I can’t imagine that crowds are frequent - certainly not for any significant length of time.

mrd269697

From yesterday, many of the short platform stations in Wales have seen a service for the first time in over a year. Was completely unacceptable to close stations in the first place but better late than never.

wobman

On Moderation
Has anyone at TfW ever explained why it is OK to have passengers alighting and boarding at the same door the guard uses ( and indeed approaching them to say where they’re going on a line with request stops) - when it’s one of two available but not when it’s the only one. Conwy and Gilfach Fargoed (?) excepted, I can’t imagine that crowds are frequent - certainly not for any significant length of time.
That's how request stops work via a local door and the reason no trains have stopped at llandair Pg and valley during the pandemic.At Conwy units can stop with a 2 car unit only, due to how busy the station is at this present time.
The stations in question have short platforms and with the current rolling stock there's no other way to work the trains on that route.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

There is discussion here but whether it answers your question or not I'm not sure as TFW are not very forthcoming on things.

www.railforums.co.uk/threads/train-failing-to-stop-at-conwy-due-to-social-distancing.218868/page-2#post-5186377

Understand all clear now from 21st except for Conwy which will be from September 12th but TFW haven't bothered to tell anybody yet.

wobman

On Moderation
From yesterday, many of the short platform stations in Wales have seen a service for the first time in over a year. Was completely unacceptable to close stations in the first place but better late than never.
But what was the alternative during the global pandemic and lockdowns ? With restrictions lifting it's now possible to reinstate the local door operation.

The exile

Established Member
At last

Status
Not open for further replies.