• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thames Turbos at Coventry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
I have just passed a siding outside Coventry as the line to Nuneaton diverges, in which are two GWR Turbos. 165125 was one of them (2 car) and the other was a 3 car (may have been 16x103). What are they doing all the way over here?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
165125 & 165103

Wolverton swap-over.

165125 returning to RG.
165103 going to Wolverton (some work wasn’t done on last visit).

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I have just passed a siding outside Coventry as the line to Nuneaton diverges, in which are two GWR Turbos. 165125 was one of them (2 car) and the other was a 3 car (may have been 16x103). What are they doing all the way over here?

Just a guess really but is it Wolverton that is doing the refurbishment on those units?

Edit: Beaten to it by someone in the know I see!

cactustwirly

Established Member

Would be 165103, the 166s are numbered in the 2xx range.
No idea why they would be in Coventry though

fgwrich

Established Member
165125 & 165103

Wolverton swap-over.

165125 returning to RG.
165103 going to Wolverton (some work wasn’t done on last visit).

That'll mean 103 will finally be PRM modded then. I noticed it still had it's original cupboard toilet and handrails the other day, albeit spending the day locked out of use. Will it also gain the Air Cooling while it's there?

Something I had wondered, with the 2 car sets now receiving this large First North Western style luggage rack for their eventual move to Bristol, why was it constructed in the standard class end, rather than the ex First Class end?

Crossover

Established Member
Thanks all, that explains it! I did a bit of a double take when I saw them trying to remember if there was a service change I’d missed!

They appeared to be coupled up when we passed, rather than being separate.

TEW

Established Member
That'll mean 103 will finally be PRM modded then. I noticed it still had it's original cupboard toilet and handrails the other day, albeit spending the day locked out of use. Will it also gain the Air Cooling while it's there?

Something I had wondered, with the 2 car sets now receiving this large First North Western style luggage rack for their eventual move to Bristol, why was it constructed in the standard class end, rather than the ex First Class end?
If you're looking for some logical answer when it comes to GWR and what they are doing to the Turbos, you could be looking for a long time! With regards to the air cooling, I believe this is being fitted at Long Marston? Which is also where the 2-car 165s have been gaining the extra luggage space and having the First Class section removed.

Well it looks like 165103 never made it to Wolverton. 165103+165125 were both on 5Q74 0900 Coventry - Reading this morning. 165125 has been fitted with air-cooling - it always seems to me that its pot luck whether they do or don't get air cooling when they vist Wolverton, but I am sure there some logic to it all.

Crossover

Established Member
Well, as the saying goes ‘here today gone tomorrow’ the siding stands empty today

FGW_DID

Established Member
165125 went pop at Coventry so 103 had to drag it back to RG, instead of completing its move to Wolverton. 103 will hopefully make it there on Saturday.

whhistle

On Moderation
Would this be a freight driver making this move?
I assume a GWR driver wouldn't know the route, and any other TOC driver wouldn't know the traction?

FGW_DID

Established Member
Would this be a freight driver making this move?
I assume a GWR driver wouldn't know the route, and any other TOC driver wouldn't know the traction?

Rail Operations Group provide the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.