• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink railway - lied about having a 16-25 railway card when asked for it by inspectors. This is the first time!

SDKA

I was travelling from kingston to Streatham common under a 16-25 railcard discount. I usually take bus home £1.75. However i found out i am expecting yesterday and attempted a day at college but just wanted to get home asap. Once leaving the station i was confronted by a inspector who asked for my railcard. I lied and said i left it at home in a panic. I gave accurate name, email, age, but old address “ mistake”. He gave me a slip to present a railcard. So i brought a digital one when i arrived home and uploaded this as well as my updated address in the comment box provided. I feel so bad and full of regret. I was emailed to say they have received my submission. What can i do to rectify this.

Again i am full of remorse, just been reading about court and criminal records. I feel sick!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I was travelling from kingston to Streatham common under a 16-25 railcard discount. I usually take bus home £1.75. However i found out i am expecting yesterday and attempted a day at college but just wanted to get home asap. Once leaving the station i was confronted by a inspector who asked for my railcard. I lied and said i left it at home in a panic. I gave accurate name, email, age, but old address “ mistake”. He gave me a slip to present a railcard. So i brought a digital one when i arrived home and uploaded this as well as my updated address in the comment box provided. I feel so bad and full of regret. I was emailed to say they have received my submission. What can i do to rectify this.

Again i am full of remorse, just been reading about court and criminal records. I feel sick!!
Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, they will see that you purchased the railcard after your journey, so they are still able to pursue you.

You will get a letter or mail from the train company sometime in the next few weeks threatening you with being prosecuted for not having a valid ticket. They will have checked whether you have done this (online) before - if you have .

However, our experience is that you won't end up in court, provided you engage with the process. Most train companies, and particularly GTR who run Southern, will be willing to offer an out of court settlement, whereby you pay the full fare for your journey plus a sum to cover the expense of investigating. We tend to say £100-150, but GTR seem to start at £60 or so.

Please come back for more advice when you get the letter, and meanwhile please don't worry too much - you have other things to think about.

PS the mods have moved this to our dedicated Forum for Disputes and Prosecutions, where more people will be around to help.

WesternLancer

Established Member
If they send you a letter in the post it will go to the false address you gave. This is a mistake because the best way to avoid being prosecuted is to receive and reply to this letter. If you can't get it you can't reply and what will happen is the case might escalate to court without you knowing. Sorting that out will cost you more time and money....

I would suggest you think about contacting them with the reference number on the paperwork you were given or have got so far informing them of your correct address. Do not write about anything else at this stage - just say 'please note my correct postal address for any correspondence relating to this matter is.....'

It's vital you get any letters they send to you and reply to them in order to request they sympathetically consider settling the matter without the need for court action.

SDKA

If they send you a letter in the post it will go to the false address you gave. This is a mistake because the best way to avoid being prosecuted is to receive and reply to this letter. If you can't get it you can't reply and what will happen is the case might escalate to court without you knowing. Sorting that out will cost you more time and money....

I would suggest you think about contacting them with the reference number on the paperwork you were given or have got so far informing them of your correct address. Do not write about anything else at this stage - just say 'please note my correct postal address for any correspondence relating to this matter is.....'

It's vital you get any letters they send to you and reply to them in order to request they sympathetically consider settling the matter without the need for court action.
Thank you for your response, i will do this asap!

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, they will see that you purchased the railcard after your journey, so they are still able to pursue you.

You will get a letter or mail from the train company sometime in the next few weeks threatening you with being prosecuted for not having a valid ticket. They will have checked whether you have done this (online) before - if you have .

However, our experience is that you won't end up in court, provided you engage with the process. Most train companies, and particularly GTR who run Southern, will be willing to offer an out of court settlement, whereby you pay the full fare for your journey plus a sum to cover the expense of investigating. We tend to say £100-150, but GTR seem to start at £60 or so.

Please come back for more advice when you get the letter, and meanwhile please don't worry too much - you have other things to think about.

PS the mods have moved this to our dedicated Forum for Disputes and Prosecutions, where more people will be around to help.
Thank you, as advised i will wait for the letter then update the forum.