• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thanet Parkway updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilCr

Now in the local paper

The station has two platforms that can accommodate 12-car trains. There are lifts and stairs to access the platforms, ticket vending machines, waiting shelters, acoustic barriers, parking for 293 vehicles, bus stops, pick-up and drop-off zones, electric charging points, hearing loops, cycle storage, CCTV, seating, landscaping works and passenger help points to provide remote assistance for those who need it.

The station is accessed from the A299 Hengist Way with a new pedestrian and cycleway to and from Clive Road in Cliffsend village.
Not sure it adds much although mentions access from Cliffsend from Clive Road

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
There are some timetabled stops now. On weekdays it appears to be served by the High Speed service (xx51 to Ramsgate/Margate and xx07 to London St Pancras), but not the stopping service which calls at Sturry and Minster.

Trainguy34

Does anyone know what these trains are doing on Tuesday?

Purple Train

Established Member
Does anyone know what these trains are doing on Tuesday?

Gauging, possibly?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Gauging, possibly?
Trains are currently running through the station so gauging presumably isn't a problem. More likely is either Level Crossing Equipment configuration or driver doing a practice runs for checking stopping positions and braking marks, etc.

Snow1964

Established Member
Network Rail update, opening 31st July

As a special introductory offer, customers will also be offered free parking at the station from the opening day for a limited time

Located between Ramsgate and Minster, Thanet Parkway station will boost the local and wider Kent economy by supporting connections to new housing and new business and job opportunities, particularly at surrounding business parks in Thanet and Dover, as well as supporting the area’s leisure and tourism industry.

The station has two 250 metre platforms that can accommodate spacious 12-car trains, offering high speed services to St Pancras International via Ashford International in as little as 70 minutes, as well as Mainline connections to London terminals and across Kent and the Medway Towns.

It will also provide connections to a wide range of leisure destinations enabling customers to visit places such as Canterbury (17 mins), Margate (15 mins), Ashford International (32 mins) and Broadstairs (10 mins).

To allow trains to call safely at the new station, Cliffsend and Sevenscore level crossings have been upgraded at the same time. At Cliffsend the current automatic half barriers are being replaced with full barriers with CCTV controlled from East Kent Signalling Centre in Gillingham.

The station and level crossing works has been jointly funded by the Government’s Department for Transport (DfT); South East Local Enterprise Partnership (SELEP); Government’s Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities; Thanet District Council; East Kent Spatial Development Company; and Kent County Council.

The investment is part of Network Rail’s Thanet Corridor Enhancements Programme which includes upgrades to Dibleys, Ships Meadow and Grove Ferry crossings to permit line speed increases between Ashford, Canterbury West and Ramsgate.

Thanet Parkway station has now been added to Southeastern’s online journey planner and tickets for services to and from Thanet Parkway will be able to be purchased from 1 July.
The project is funded by:
  • South East Local Enterprise Partnership (SELEP) (Local Growth Fund) (£14 million) and (Getting Building Fund) (£12 million)
  • New Stations Fund (£3.4 million)
  • Thanet District Council (£2 million)
  • East Kent Spatial Development Company (£700k)
  • Kent County Council (the remaining funds)

pdeaves

Established Member
Gosh what a grim and foreboding image. Are the 'do not alight here' boards temporary or are the platforms that narrow?
'Do not alight here' signs went in some time ago in case a train had to stop (signal, emergency, etc.) to prevent attempts to leave the train.

brad465

Established Member
The article refers to this being Kent's first new station in 8 years. Does relocating Rochester count as a new station?

Snow1964

Established Member
Gosh what a grim and foreboding image. Are the 'do not alight here' boards temporary or are the platforms that narrow?
Platforms look to be close to minimum width, and are those standard motorway style acoustic boards making it look so uninviting. Not exactly the light and airy design like Ramsgates station of 98 years ago.

I never understand the theory that build 250m long platforms then put no seating or destination displays, or shelters along the platform so as to encourage everyone to stand in same part of platform and delay boarding. Can someone explain this to me.

vic-rijrode

With all these openings of new stations, I do miss the Victorian celebrations - the huge crowds of locals, the bunting hung from every building, the brass bands marching, the cutting of ribbons etc., the packed first trains, the dignitaries retiring to the local hostelry for a sumptuous meal of cold comestibles etc. etc.

Of course, then followed usually by the disappointing traffic figures far below the estimates made when submitting the authorisation Bill to Parliament, the desperate financial struggles for a few years and the inevitable purchase by one of the larger railway companies for a fraction of the cost of building.

Of course Thanet Parkway won't be like that will it?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
With all these openings of new stations, I do miss the Victorian celebrations - the huge crowds of locals, the bunting hung from every building, the brass bands marching, the cutting of ribbons etc., the packed first trains, the dignitaries retiring to the local hostelry for a sumptuous meal of cold comestibles etc. etc.

Of course, then followed usually by the disappointing traffic figures far below the estimates made when submitting the authorisation Bill to Parliament, the desperate financial struggles for a few years and the inevitable purchase by one of the larger railway companies for a fraction of the cost of building.

Of course Thanet Parkway won't be like that will it?
How old are you? (if you miss the celebrations)

I think it may be signposted from Cottington Rd. There's definietly a signpost on streetview at the junction for Lavendar Lane but I can't read it. The ROW crosses a field and doesn't look like it's been used by anyone recently on aerial imagery, and construction compound fencing for the station seems to have blocked it off at the north, possibly temporarily from a legal perspective. Note the new development on Cottington Road, not shown on the drawing. yet another auto-centric disconnected cul de sac.
The April 2023 Google Streetview is legible and not legible, depending just where you look. It says 'footpath' with the walking person symbol. The Kent Rights of Way map here shows waymarkers at the junction of Cottington Road & Lavender Lane, another where the path leaves Lavender Lane (no Google view), one where the path meets the railway and turns right alongside (no Google view) and one where the path goes through the underbridge which is the route between the platforms of the new station (Google view by Peter Dolnik, October 2022). At that point in time the route looks (temporarily) blocked by Heras fencing.

Last edited:

NeilCr

It's going to be interesting to see how it does - as a Thanet resident and train traveller

A lot of divided views. It's obviously aimed at the car user but I'd have thought a bus service would be good. The one mentioned (45) is very irregular

I can see the logic for those who don't live near stations down here. And the parking around local stations isn't good. We'll see how many commuters/London day trippers use it. As it stands it doesn't add much (if anything) for those visiting the area

MarkyT

Established Member
It's going to be interesting to see how it does - as a Thanet resident and train traveller

A lot of divided views. It's obviously aimed at the car user but I'd have thought a bus service would be good. The one mentioned (45) is very irregular

I can see the logic for those who don't live near stations down here. And the parking around local stations isn't good. We'll see how many commuters/London day trippers use it. As it stands it doesn't add much (if anything) for those visiting the area
If a visitor was being met by someone local in a car, a pickup from the parkway might be easier than going to the town station in some cases. I doubt there'll be taxis available at parkway, waiting at a rank, although clearly if you knew a local firm you could pre-arrange a pickup.

NeilCr

Yes

In some cases

But I spend quite a bit of time waiting for buses at Ramsgate Station (moan moan three buses running together!) and there is plenty of picking up and dropping off there.

There has been a shortage of taxes down here for a while but there were quite a few at Ramsgate yesterday pm

zwk500

Veteran Member
AIUI yes - outside of morning peak to London and evening from London.
Believe the plan is for the stops to be in existing trains via Canterbury East West- the Linespeed upgrades on the Ashford-Canterbury-Ramsgate line are to compensate for the station stop at Thanet IIRC.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I had been going to ask about bus service provision at the new station but I think it's already been answered a few posts above unless there have been any sudden changes of heart from stagecoach or other operators. It's a shame really as bus rail integration in Kent, where bus services exist which I acknowledge is not universal does seem pretty good

NeilCr

Believe the plan is for the stops to be in existing trains via Canterbury East - the Linespeed upgrades on the Ashford-Canterbury-Ramsgate line are to compensate for the station stop at Thanet IIRC.

Yes. During the day I think it's just those to St Pancras

Although sorry to be snippy ;);) - it's Canterbury West.

Going to London during the day the "slow" train to Charing X is ten minutes behind the St Pancras one so if you needed that route you wouldn't have to wait long at Canterbury W or Ashford

In the afternoon when I travel (around 4 - 4.30 from Canterbury W) the gap is around twenty minutes

I assume this will remain much the same. I haven't actually looked at the new timetables as I won't be using Thanet Parkway

zwk500

Veteran Member
Although sorry to be snippy ;);) - it's Canterbury West.
Noted!
I assume this will remain much the same. I haven't actually looked at the new timetables as I won't be using Thanet Parkway
Don't believe major changes were projected. Certainly not until the next recast (or at least, I hope so otherwise some other work I did in the area will have been largely useless).

NeilCr

I had been going to ask about bus service provision at the new station but I think it's already been answered a few posts above unless there have been any sudden changes of heart from stagecoach or other operators. It's a shame really as bus rail integration in Kent, where bus services exist which I acknowledge is not universal does seem pretty good

I've literally just seen this in a local paper

"Pick up and drop off zones have also been set out, along with a station bus stop which will be served by an electric minibus shuttle to Discovery Park.
The station is accessed from the A299 Hengist Way with a new pedestrian and cycleway to and from Clive Road in Cliffsend village"

Discovery Park is an industrial park near Sandwich which has a number of science and Pharma companies (including Pfizer) and others

Employs around 1600 people and is currently served by a very patchy bus service so guess that makes sense

Also comments on access from Cliffsend

Dumpton Park

Lots of doubts about it locally, as it seems a massive waste of, apparently, 34 million quid. Not least when local bus services have just been cut back fairly dramatically. The only thing you can see it doing is easing the parking at Ramsgate and maybe people dropping off there from around Thanet and Sandwich, etc instead of driving in. Not much chance of a decent bus service as the only one that will apparently go past is from Broadstairs to Sandwich about once every 90 minutes at present.

It's a horrible design that barely deserves to be called functional. They could at least have made the sound barriers transparent to make it less forbidding! There are lots of basic shelters - about every 75 metres? - but it's going to be a grim and potentially unpleasant experience arriving there after dark in winter.

DP

Status
Not open for further replies.