• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The ‘Bashers’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I've always wondered what the Normals thought about the antics of bashers? I remember going along the Dawlish sea wall behind various locos with much flailing from the front coaches. Did the people on the beaches think we were waving at them when they waved back? Then all the bellowing,"My Lords,Hellfire,Dreadful" etc. Or shouting "Wagon" at the spoon goons behind a Duff. It must have been terribly baffling for Joe Public.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've always wondered what the Normals thought about the antics of bashers? I remember going along the Dawlish sea wall behind various locos with much flailing from the front coaches. Did the people on the beaches think we were waving at them when they waved back? Then all the bellowing,"My Lords,Hellfire,Dreadful" etc. Or shouting "Wagon" at the spoon goons behind a Duff. It must have been terribly baffling for Joe Public.
Yeah I’m sorry about that. I was quite young though. ;)

xotGD

Established Member
I’ve really enjoyed reading this thread, so I thought I’d contribute my own memories of bashing in the 1980s.

I first got interested in bashing around 1986, aged 13. By around 1991, I had moved on to other pursuits, a common refrain in this kind of story. For me, Sprinterisation replacing what remained of the local diesel haulage coincided with my late teens, and my interest in railways took something of a back seat as a result. I don’t have any of my books and photos, so all of this is from memory.

I lived in Chorley in Lancashire in those days. I didn’t have a lot of spare cash, like most teenage boys, and so I couldn’t afford long distance trips. The only exception to that was a couple of trips a year with the school railway society, usually doing a regional rover weekly ticket.

My regular bashing, therefore, was initially centred on Preston, mainly because it was nearby, cheap and quick to get to and handy for meeting friends. I have read lots of stories on this thread and others of discerning bashers who would only follow 40s, or whatever they preferred. In Preston in those days, you had a straight choice of electrics and 47/4s, with the occasional 31 hauled service, although from memory they seemed irregular. So even if it had occurred to me to be choosy, I wouldn’t have had much opportunity.

The most interesting and regular diesel haulage at the time was 47/4s on the Preston-Blackpool portion of Euston-Blackpool services. We would only ever go as far as Kirkham. I think this was probably on grounds of cost, but maybe we also wanted to spend as much time as possible spotting at Preston. It was a pretty interesting station to hang out at in the 1980s. There were usually at least a couple of 47s waiting for work, and sometimes an 08 hidden in the siding at the North end of the station (known as Bakehouse or similar I believe). I can’t remember any of the numbers of the 47s that did this work, but I imagine they would all have been from Crewe Diesel and certainly the same ones came up again and again.

Most of the loco hauled traffic was electric, of course, but even there an occasional 81 or 85 would liven up the stream of 86, 87 and, later, 90s. Although I did collect electric haulages, it didn’t grab me in anything like the same way as the diesels, and we never did short electric hops to Wigan or Lancaster.

I only have two clear memories of 31 haulage, both involving long delays.

One was a train I was taking home from Preston to Chorley, which failed somewhere around Leyland on a warm day. We were stuck there for some hours. Fortunately there ws a buffet trolley on the service, and the young woman running it let us have free reign. Oddly, I can clearly recall going for a piece of fruitcake, wrapped in cellophane and sweating slightly. No mobile phones of course, so I arrived home much later than planned to my anxious parents.

The other was a very rare midweek excursion. Being a schoolboy I would have to be home by nine, and I worked out that I just had enough time to take in an evening run behind a 31 to Preston (or possibly Leyland) and back. One week I got adventurous and decided to see if I could double up by taking a train down to Blackrod which on occasion produced a 31 and picking up the diagrammed 31 back from there. Alas it was a total failure. The DMU down to Blackrod held no interest, and I was most disappointed to see the 31 sail through non-stop, stranding me there for an hour. Cue a shamefaced phone call home explaining why I was late, and why I was several miles away from where I ought to have been.

As a postscript, I took a train from Chorley to Manchester Victoria on Saturday evening around 2003, and was delighted to find it top and tailed by a pair of Class 31s. I remember the wistful feeling I had pulling into Victoria for what I felt sure would be the last time on a loco hauled service train.
That Blackrod episode has reminded me of something similar...

A couple of North East 40 bashers were in York on a summer Saturday. Both the Scarborough - Newcastle via the Durham Coast and the Blackpool - Newcastle were 40s that day. The problem being that you couldn't do both.

So they got on the ex - Scarborough, planning to do it to The Toon. At Northallerton the train had to stop at a red, waiting for a southbound service to pass before it could turn right. The lads had a brainwave - bale off here, do the next Liverpool - Newcastle to Darlo and pick up the ex - Blackpool there. So off they hopped.

One problem - the Blackpool ran in front of the Liverpool. So there they were on the platform at Northallerton as the 40 stormed through. Woops!

Bert and ada the compo invader I've had a few of them in the past 3 of us shouting hellfire and in walks bert and ada.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Not to mention people shouting "death" at a well known photographer.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
For those into Class 31s they did the Lancaster to Leeds via Carnforth for a number of years in the 1980s. There was a dedicated person who reported on every 31 working and documented it somewhere. I seem to remember 31439 worked the most often. I used to get an electric from Preston then a 31 Lancaster to Carnforth and another one back.

xotGD

Established Member
For those into Class 31s they did the Lancaster to Leeds via Carnforth for a number of years in the 1980s. There was a dedicated person who reported on every 31 working and documented it somewhere. I seem to remember 31439 worked the most often. I used to get an electric from Preston then a 31 Lancaster to Carnforth and another one back.
The service used to run through to Hull.

I remember one lad telling me that he had some Ped or other for the unlikely move of Saltaire to Gilberdyke.

(Ped = Class 31)

magpiespy

It wasn't that I was into 31s, there just wasn't a lot else about at the time.

I wrote before about the lack of variety in diagrammed diesel haulage opportunities around Preston in the late 1980s - a bleak landscape of 47/4 and occasional 31s among all the electrics. There was one occasion though when something really unusual came our way.

Around 1989, WCML services between Preston and Wigan were diverted via Chorley on at least one weekend. A 47 would take over from the electric at Preston and take the train just past Lostock Junction, from where a pair of Class 20s would drop onto the back of the train and haul it into Wigan North Western.

I can’t remember now how we found out about this, but we didn’t have any inside information as we were just kids, so I assume it must have been trailed in the railway press. Anyway, it was most definitely an opportunity not to be missed. We had heard about the runs behind 20s from the Midlands to Skegness, but that was beyond our range for a day out. This was right on our doorstep.

So off we went to Preston one Sunday, hardly believing our luck. The 47 took over for the first part of the diversion as expected, and we took up a position on the right hand side of the train. As we passed Lostock Junction, sure enough there was a pair of 20s waiting for us. I can still picture them now, clear as day. I even fancy I could hear them idling away as we went past. Naturally we got a position at a window to watch them drop onto the front, and then enjoy the ride into Wigan.

Looking back it seems a pretty odd bit of diagramming. There can hardly have been a shortage of more usual traction on a Sunday - surely a 47 could have been spared? I suppose it must have been during the summer given the 20s could not have supplied any heat. But I’m sure I didn’t imagine it.

xotGD

Established Member
It wasn't that I was into 31s, there just wasn't a lot else about at the time.

I wrote before about the lack of variety in diagrammed diesel haulage opportunities around Preston in the late 1980s - a bleak landscape of 47/4 and occasional 31s among all the electrics. There was one occasion though when something really unusual came our way.

Around 1989, WCML services between Preston and Wigan were diverted via Chorley on at least one weekend. A 47 would take over from the electric at Preston and take the train just past Lostock Junction, from where a pair of Class 20s would drop onto the back of the train and haul it into Wigan North Western.

I can’t remember now how we found out about this, but we didn’t have any inside information as we were just kids, so I assume it must have been trailed in the railway press. Anyway, it was most definitely an opportunity not to be missed. We had heard about the runs behind 20s from the Midlands to Skegness, but that was beyond our range for a day out. This was right on our doorstep.

So off we went to Preston one Sunday, hardly believing our luck. The 47 took over for the first part of the diversion as expected, and we took up a position on the right hand side of the train. As we passed Lostock Junction, sure enough there was a pair of 20s waiting for us. I can still picture them now, clear as day. I even fancy I could hear them idling away as we went past. Naturally we got a position at a window to watch them drop onto the front, and then enjoy the ride into Wigan.

Looking back it seems a pretty odd bit of diagramming. There can hardly have been a shortage of more usual traction on a Sunday - surely a 47 could have been spared? I suppose it must have been during the summer given the 20s could not have supplied any heat. But I’m sure I didn’t imagine it.
IIRC, those 20 turns were included in the gen books of loco diagrams on passenger services. '1H89' or 'Loco-hauled Travel', one or the other.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Oh yes. Had that move. I will post locos and dates later.

IIRC, those 20 turns were included in the gen books of loco diagrams on passenger services. '1H89' or 'Loco-hauled Travel', one or the other.
I think you are correct

D1537

In one year (winter 88-89, I think) there were two diagrams - usually both were 2x20 but occasionally one of the diagrams was a 47. It sometimes led to much confusion (and hilarity) when the southbound overnights were running out of order, as they got the "wrong" assisting loco(s). I remember a very irritated basher who had come down from the north for his new class 20 and woke up on 1M13 going round the triangle with 47365 attached to the train.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Found it but it was 1985! June 9th 1985 - I was hauled by 47532 from Stafford via Crewe independent lines to Wigan NW. 20136 and 20158 were attached at rear and pulled the train to Lostock Jct. The 20s were detached and 47532 pulled the train to Preston via Chorley. Diesel was then detached and an electric took the train forward.

magpiespy

Found it but it was 1985! June 9th 1985 - I was hauled by 47532 from Stafford via Crewe independent lines to Wigan NW. 20136 and 20158 were attached at rear and pulled the train to Lostock Jct. The 20s were detached and 47532 pulled the train to Preston via Chorley. Diesel was then detached and an electric took the train forward.
A great effort finding that after all this time. I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers this rather strange diagram.

Anyway here are a couple of cautionary tales for anyone who enjoys getting nostalgic about window hanging, flailing and so on.

As I got older, Manchester became a more attractive destination for a day out looking for haulage. The Peak Wayfarer ticket was (and still is) a good cheap option for a day’s train travel in Greater Manchester and had the considerable advantage of being valid from Chorley.

Class 47/4s were in charge of the majority of diesel hauled trains in the Manchester area in the late 1980s, mainly on the Trans-Pennine route which in those days ran through Manchester Victoria. This was after the Peaks had all been withdrawn unfortunately, and I don’t remember ever travelling behind one. We used to spend a lot of time spotting on the end of Manchester Piccadilly, and a favourite move to get us in place to go home was an electric down to Stockport, then the DMU to Stalybridge (in those days a regular and frequent service) ready for a 47 back into Victoria for trains back home to Chorley and Blackburn.

As Sprinterisation wore on, the service patterns began to change. These were the days when “everything stopped at Stockport”, so pretty much anything out of the main trainshed at Piccadilly apart from the first couple of platforms was bound to get you to Stockport. In a hurry to make the connection at Stockport for the Stalybridge shuttle, we all jumped on a 158 bound for (I think) Hull. Big mistake, as we discovered when it headed east away from the main line. The guard came to check our tickets, saw that they were Wayfarers, and took umbrage.

“I know your tricks! You are trying to get a free ride!”

No, we replied, we were trying to get to Stockport.

“First stop on this service is Huddersfield!”

“But we just want to get back home” we protested, and he was clearly unwilling to take us that far anyway, so decided to set us down with an unscheduled stop at Guide Bridge. At which point we thought it wiser to cut our losses and head back into Piccadilly and homewards via the Windsor Link.

———————————————

Of course, the journey from Victoria to Stalybridge is more interesting than the reverse, because it starts with the climb up to Miles Platting. So naturally there we were, hanging out of the window behind a 47 in BR Blue, enjoying the noise and the smell, when I felt something in my eye. I blinked a few time, and tried to forget about it and enjoy the rest of the day out.

It didn’t go away though, and whatever it was scratched the inside of my eyelid every time I blinked. So after a couple of days, it was down to A&E to get my eye looked at. The doctor took one look, asked me to sit still and took a needle to my eye. She succeeded in picking out a small piece of steel, presumably ejected by the hard-working 47! Fortunately no permanent damage was done.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Wayfarers were fantastic. I could do the Peaks and the odd generator Man Vic to Staly - then DMU to Stockport then electric to Piccadilly then do class 31s to Oxford Rd etc. Regularly had haulage by 20 locos in a single day. What a NED I was!!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Regularly had haulage by 20 locos in a single day. What a NED I was!!

There were of course two types of bashers, those who wanted to get haulage behind as many different locos as possible, and those who wanted maximum mileage out of a particular class of loco or even a single loco (mileage men).

ABB125

Established Member
There were of course two types of bashers, those who wanted to get haulage behind as many different locos as possible, and those who wanted maximum mileage out of a particular class of loco or even a single loco (mileage men).
Personally I think the former is a more laudable aim. But only because I'm not old enough to have experienced the time when locomotives were commonplace, nowadays it's usually a case of "we'd best make a trip to the Cumbrian coast, those class 37s won't last for long!".

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Very true. I started off bashing everything but ended up getting into 47s as I liked them and there was more variety than could be found bashing 50s (Peaks were getting increasingly rare down here, I was partial to 33s and back then nobody bashed 31s! :lol:).
I used to know all the people down my way that were solid 47 bashers and would spend a night on a bench on Penzance station rather than get a 50 home on the Up Midnight.
I was a bit like that myself for a few years (apart from the odd 33 or Peak) and after having a break for a bit (and I guess maturing a bit), I decided that I was missing out on some of the great stuff that was still around and you’d find me behind anything interesting...
(Just wish I’d realised the futility of just bashing one or two classes a bit earlier)

Personally I think the former is a more laudable aim. But only because I'm not old enough to have experienced the time when locomotives were commonplace, nowadays it's usually a case of "we'd best make a trip to the Cumbrian coast, those class 37s won't last for long!".

Absolutely. And I did that myself a few years ago.

magpiespy

Wayfarers were fantastic. I could do the Peaks and the odd generator Man Vic to Staly - then DMU to Stockport then electric to Piccadilly then do class 31s to Oxford Rd etc. Regularly had haulage by 20 locos in a single day. What a NED I was!!
I remember seeing those 31s going through platforms 13/14 at Piccadilly, which saw little traffic in those days compared to the present day. What services were the 31s on? I've often wondered.

Status
Not open for further replies.