• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 01.46am from York to Manchester??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I travelled on the 01.46am from York to manchester the other night and wanted to know why it take so long and also why it takes the route that it does.

That service takes almost a hour from york to leeds and seems to go the long way round leeds to come into leeds from the manchester side then goes out towards huddersfields then after leave there it heads back towards leeds again and does not take the normal route to manchester.

Is there anyone out there that knows the reason for this and it does this monday to friday but not on a sat night and its the whole timetable that is does it for.

very strange!!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northernbored

Not sure on exact dates but there doing an awful lot of engineering work (still) between york and leeds so you were probably on a diversion route.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There are many ways to get from York to Leeds, the most practical being via Garforth (23 mins) and via Castleford (35 mins), but a route taking 1 hour is possible - did you reverse? It could have gone via Wakefield or something. I'd say Harrogate is unlikely as I'm pretty sure that line would be shut at night.

Last night there was a 0153 from York, which got to Leeds 0225 (32 mins) via Castleford. It then went to 'uddersfield via Wakefield Kirkgate, which meant it double-backed between Methley Jn and Leeds.

1D53

Established Member
There has been track maintenance and inspections etc going on overnight between York and Leeds and Huddersfield and Manchester. Most overnighters are therefore running York to Leeds via Castleford, Leeds to Huddersfield via Morley (usual route) then Huddersfield to Manchester Airport via Brighouse, Rochdale and Salford Crescent (reverse). It may take longer but its better than buses.

Harrogate line is definately out, the boxes are closed, crews don't sign it and I doubt 185's are cleared.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I guess Harrogate has never been used because - apart from the staffing issue - there are so many other ways from York to Leeds, the only bit you have to do is York-Church Fenton*. If the OP's train took nearly an hour it could have gone via Pontefract, Featherstone, then either via Outwood or via the Kirkgate avoider and Methley. I got the Kirkgate avoider on Grand Central last weekend!

* If Church Fenton itself was shut then I guess you could go York-Selby (reverse) then Selby-Leeds (either direct via Garforth or via Castleford)!

1D53

Established Member
If the OP's train took nearly an hour it could have gone via Pontefract, Featherstone, then either via Outwood or via the Kirkgate avoider and Methley. I got the Kirkgate avoider on Grand Central last weekend!
TPE York/Manchester don't sign Featherstone or Outwood. The only knowledge down there is Hull drivers who sign Leeds to Crofton via Kirkgate avoider, Hull guards don't sign it. If it took an hour it probably got held up enroute, I do know one day this week (possibly Tuesday) that there were delays as a 66 failed near Midland Road which held up trains (including 1D53).

steve158

Main reason is route retention.

Main avoiding route is York-Sherburn-Milford-Castleford- Leeds(Via Holbeck), or up to Cas then via Normanton, Wakey Kirkgate, Healey Mills and back on the main at Thornhill LNW.

No TPE Drivers/Guards sign Wakey Westgate or the Featherstone route.

When Stanedge is shut, it's normally reverse at Huddersfield, then up via Brighouse onto the Calder Valley into Man Vic.

bluenoxid

Established Member
I travelled on the 01.46am from York to manchester the other night and wanted to know why it take so long and also why it takes the route that it does.

That service takes almost a hour from york to leeds and seems to go the long way round leeds to come into leeds from the manchester side then goes out towards huddersfields then after leave there it heads back towards leeds again and does not take the normal route to manchester.

Is there anyone out there that knows the reason for this and it does this monday to friday but not on a sat night and its the whole timetable that is does it for.

very strange!!!!

Church Fenton is closed this weekend isn't it?

The Castleford Route is the main one used.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yep, and they can't be bothered to go via Selby so it's replacement buses or over an hour on a pacer - take your pick :lol:

1D53

Established Member
Running via Selby isn't as easy as you think though!

Status
Not open for further replies.