• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 2 biggest bus companies neither Stagecoach nor First

Status
Not open for further replies.

317 forever

Established Member
I thought it might be fun to reflect on some towns in Britain where neither of the 2 biggest bus companies are Stagecoach or First. A few I can think of are:-

Birmingham - National Express West Midlands and Rotala Diamond Bus
Nottingham - Nottingham City Transport and TrentBarton
Derby - Arriva and TrentBarton
Gateshead - Go-Ahead and Arriva
Wrexham - Arriva and GHA Coaches
Bridlington - East Yorkshire and Transdev Coastliner

Feel free to list some other examples you can think of! :idea:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Cardiff: Cardiff Bus and New Adventure Travel.

Saying that Stagecoach have got a sizeable presence in the city but Cardiff Bus are the dominant operator AND NAT are slowly creeping up, with their expansion on local service routes such as the X1 and X11.

Last edited:

mlambeuk

Whitby - Arriva and Coastal & country
Harogate - Transdev and Connexions (HCT)

Last edited:

causton

Established Member
Hatfield - Uno and Arriva
St Albans - Uno and Arriva
Stevenage - Arriva and Centrebus
Potters Bar - Metroline and Sullivan Buses I guess?
Watford - Arriva and Red Rose (pretty much just Arriva though)

pemma

Veteran Member
Warrington - Network Warrington have most routes and Arriva have a few

Since no minimum size of town was specified:
Knutsford - GHA and D&G Bus

Strathclyder

Established Member
West Coast Motors is the biggest (if not the only) operator in/around the Oban area.

Now that I think about it, the same applies for Rothesay on the Isle of Bute, where W.C.M are also pretty much the only bus operator.

Last edited:

CatfordCat

To be honest, there must be quite a lot.

A lot of the 'home counties' round London are Arriva land (First have a presence in Essex, then around Slough and that's about it) and Stagecoach only cover East Kent and the remains of Aldershot & District.

Reading's probably among the largest in the south east - Reading Buses now by far the largest operator, (Go Ahead) Thames Travel and Arriva have more frequent services running in than Stagecoach (former Countywide / Fleet Buzz route) do.

After Stagecoach bought Fleet Buzz and until First closed their Bracknell operation, Reading had a small presence from 4 of the major groups.

Bracknell's main operator is independent Courtney; Reading Buses have 4 buses per hour, First are down to 1 per hour on route 702, and Stagecoach have pulled the plug on their operation on the Camberley - Bracknell route. (slightly off topic, but must be fairly rare for an independent to see Stagecoach off)

Wokingham is now a First free zone, and Stagecoach only have one or two college / football services.

ETA - another fairly obvious one is the Bournemouth / Poole patch, with Transdev Yellow Buses and whatever that bit of Go-Ahead Wilts & Dorset call themselves this week

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
A few others:

Northwich - Arriva and GHA
Altrincham - Arriva and Go Goodwins
Crewe - D&G Bus and GHA
Congleton - GHA and D&G Bus
Wilmslow - GHA and Arriva
Nantwich - D&G Bus and GHA

Macclesfield - difficult to say who are the biggest 2 but the biggest 3 are Arriva, GHA and High Peak

THarris123

Established Member
Isle of Wight - Go Ahead

Here's a better question - how many cities/towns are there without First, Stagecoach, Arriva, Go Ahead or NatEx?

That's going to be a lot less.

pemma

Veteran Member
Here's a better question - how many cities/towns are there without First, Stagecoach, Arriva, Go Ahead or NatEx?

Knutsford still counts - GHA and D&G operate all services between them except the evening town circular which is operated by Tomlinson Travel. The latter aren't going to be running that service from May but I doubt any of the big names you mention will take it instead. I'm surprised anyone actually used the service yesterday as the driver kept taking it round displaying "319 Sandbach"! I think even if you add the school/works contracts in you only add Holmeswood Coaches and Elite Coaches to that list.

I don't think any of the bis operators serve Buxton. High Peak are the largest operator there but I'm not sure who all the other operators are.

Silver Cobra

Luton - Arriva and Centrebus
Hitchin - Arriva and Centrebus

Stagecoach only have two routes in each town (71 and 72 in Hitchin, 81 and 99 in Luton). Even local bus company Grant Palmer have more routes (four) in Luton than Stagecoach do.

Last edited:

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Isle of Wight - Go Ahead

Assuming you mean NatEx as per the bus company rather than the coach operation, there's Ripley, Heanor, Belper, Ilkeston, Beeston etc. Even in Nottingham there's only a token presence, by Stagecoach.

Also Oban.

Not sure if Harrogate counts ?

MCR247

Established Member
Assuming you mean NatEx as per the bus company rather than the coach operation, there's Ripley, Heanor, Belper, Ilkeston, Beeston etc. Even in Nottingham there's only a token presence, by Stagecoach.

Also Oban.

Not sure if Harrogate counts ?

Personally I think Nottingham should count as Stagecoach's Pronto isn't really a local bus within Nottingham (and I'd say most of its passengers are visiting Notts and not the other way around! :lol:)

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Pronto is a jointly operated service isn't it?

Some towns to add:
EYMS operates in non Stagecoach/First in Hedon, Hornsea, Goole, Withernsea, Bridington, Filey, Scarborough, Beverley, Hessle (Stagecoach only run a nightbus), Market Weighton, etc.
EYMS are huge and run services from a range from Pickering to Scunthorpe.

MedwayValiant

Bury St Edmunds. Stagecoach do reach Bury with an hourly bus from Cambridge, and so do Go Ahead (H C Chambers and Son) with an hourly bus from Colchester via Sudbury.

But otherwise it's all independent, and there are town services operated by Coach Services (running out of Thetford), Mulleys Motorways (based in Bury), and Stephenson's of Essex (running out of Haverhill).

Traditionally this was Eastern Counties territory, but First no longer operate a single service in Bury.

317 forever

Established Member
Isle of Wight - Go Ahead

Anothers may be Skipton and Kirkby Stephen.

Wakefield - Arriva

I am not sure whether Ross Travel or Stagecoach are bigger in Wakefield.

Also, as regards top 2, Rawtenstall has Rossendale and Transdev.

Thank you for all your replies so far. :)

KendalKing

Established Member

The first one to spring to mind is Fleetwood in Lancashire, where services are operated by Blackpool Transport and Catch22Bus.

Anothers may be Skipton and Kirkby Stephen.

First have an hour service X84 from Leeds to Skipton.

Last edited:

MedwayValiant

Stamford. The two largest operators in Stamford are Centrebus and Delaine. The only others now reaching Stamford at all are Brylaine Travel and Mark Bland Travel.

Road Car (now Stagecoach Lincs) have not reached Stamford since the Grantham route moved over to Centrebus, and it's twenty or more years since Cambus/Viscount (now Stagecoach Peterborough) stopped going there from Peterborough.

Stamford isn't quite in Rutland although it probably should have been. But do Centrebus and Delaine between them operate every bus service which enters Rutland?

Status
Not open for further replies.