• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Architecture The Railways Built - Series 3 on UKTV's Yesterday channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Luxton

Established Member
Will the concept stretch to a fourth series? Now with an easing of Covid restrictions access to locations should be easier.
A visit to the Severn Tunnel would be interesting. With its ventilation shafts,pumps,culverts and other tunnels within you should find enough to fill a whole programme. I'm sure you may get other suggestions on here too :) .
Sounds good. On subject of tunnels - the hidden bits of the Merseyrail underground, such as the abandoned passenger subway to Shore Road from Hamilton Square station. It is similar to the Water Street subway at James Street but has been abandoned for decades - that must be worth a look inside. Then there is the art-deco Hoylake Station and Chester General would be worth a look. Then Exeter Central and St David's both interesting stations. The three series, plus the Secrets of the London Underground have but merely scratched the surface. Would like to see this carry on for a few more series as I am sure many others would too!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
6. Monday 18 Oct
Bishopstone, Sussex (both stations and pill-boxes exploration on roof)
Selby Diversion, North Yorkshire
Stockholm, Sweden
After today's announcement of speed upgrades to the ECML, maybe the Selby diversion will get to see some 140mph trains!

Will the concept stretch to a fourth series? Now with an easing of Covid restrictions access to locations should be easier.
A visit to the Severn Tunnel would be interesting. With its ventilation shafts,pumps,culverts and other tunnels within you should find enough to fill a whole programme. I'm sure you may get other suggestions on here too :) .
If this is a platform for nominations for a next series, then I’d like to put Brighton Station forward. It’s got so much history, oozes architectural details, still features the LBSCR clock suspended from the roof and the LBSCR destination board resides at Fawley Hill.

75A

Established Member
If this is a platform for nominations for a next series, then I’d like to put Brighton Station forward. It’s got so much history, oozes architectural details, still features the LBSCR clock suspended from the roof and the LBSCR destination board resides at Fawley Hill.
Plus the tunnels underneath where the shooting range is (or was)

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I can't recall if the interior made the final edit. If not, I will post my own footage taken in there on twitter and youtube. It's nice to be able to do these projects for TV then give some extra context if the team can't squash it all in (we film far, far more than can ever be shown).
I'd be interested in seeing this :smile:

Plus the tunnels underneath where the shooting range is (or was)
Plus the Brighton Trunk Murders of 1934 and the imminent rebirth of the Brighton Belle, I mean what’s not to recommend Brighton Station?
FBB3DA28-EC15-4203-A878-5DC80FD4203D.jpeg

Ralph Ayres

Presumably there wasn't time to fit in the Ramsgate tunnels, or they didn't quite fit the definition of "architecture". Either way, I'd definitely recommend a guided tour.

Mikey C

Established Member
HS1 would be an interesting topic to cover, when you consider some of the engineering and viaducts, e.g. the Medway viaduct (which can be contrasted with the nearby Rochester bridge(s), and the way it slots through the Dartford Tunnel approaches on the north side (above the northbound carriageway, below the southbound QE2 bridge)

Birmingham (away from Curzon Street) must have quite a lot to cover too, Moor Street, the disused railways etc

timmydunn

Presumably there wasn't time to fit in the Ramsgate tunnels, or they didn't quite fit the definition of "architecture". Either way, I'd definitely recommend a guided tour.
We had it lined up - but covid forced site closure for the duration. There were quite a few places- e.g. Alton or Newcastle stations, where there's no interior shown because of access in lockdowns. Film crews could move about, but onv many business owners couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.