• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The best day travel card ticket for Windsor-London

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawaii2468

Can anyone advice me the best ticket on a journey like this:

Outbound Windsor & Eton Central - London zone 1-2 travel card

Inbound London zone 1-1 to Staines

I wonder that if I simply just purchase a Windsor - London 1-6 travel card, can I end up my inbound journey at Staines on the Southwest trains Reading route?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How do you define "best ticket"?

You can get a WINDSOR & E CTL to London Zones 1-6 or a WINDSOR & E RIV to London Zones 1-6.

The former isn't valid via Staines. The latter is.

A ticket from Datchet would be valid via either route, but there is a "negative easement" as follows:
700085 Customers travelling from Datchet to or via London Waterloo may not travel via Windsor & Eton Riverside or Windsor & Eton Central. This easement applies in both directions
But if your journey was from Datchet to, say, Ealing Broadway, you would be following the shortest route and not contravening the wording of that negative easements.

You could then make a separate journey from, say, Ealing Broadway, and at the end of the day you would simply travel from Waterloo to Staines and finish short there.

Note that some people may enforce the negative easement in a way that isn't worded, so only do that if you're happy that whatever journey you make isn't contravening the negative easement.

Note that negative easements may or may not be enforceable anyway, depending on whether or not the DfT approved their apparent introduction a few weeks ago.

hawaii2468

How do you define "best ticket"?

You can get a WINDSOR & E CTL to London Zones 1-6 or a WINDSOR & E RIV to London Zones 1-6.

The former isn't valid via Staines. The latter is.

A ticket from Datchet would be valid via either route, but there is a "negative easement" as follows:But if your journey was from Datchet to, say, Ealing Broadway, you would be following the shortest route and not contravening the wording of that negative easements.

You could then make a separate journey from, say, Ealing Broadway, and at the end of the day you would simply travel from Waterloo to Staines and finish short there.

Note that some people may enforce the negative easement in a way that isn't worded, so only do that if you're happy that whatever journey you make isn't contravening the negative easement.

Note that negative easements may or may not be enforceable anyway, depending on whether or not the DfT approved their apparent introduction a few weeks ago.

Thank you so much.
The best tickets for me is the fastest and cheapest.

I am thinking about buying a Windsor & Eton riverside to London Zones 1-6. Outbound via Slough on the GWR and Inbound via Staines on the SWR, However, it seems that the condition of this Travelcard doesn't allow any break off outside the London Zones.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Windsor & Eton riverside is on a different line to Slough, so you're basically asking to start your journey at a completely different station on a different line. That's not valid.

Of course there should be a Windsor & Eton Stations group, but there isn't unfortunately!

The Datchet ticket is valid, in my opinion, because the Windsor stations are a permitted walking interchange, but you must not breach the negative easement*

(* If you take it that negative easements are enforceable, which is what I'd advise)

Status
Not open for further replies.