• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The best rail day of the year - so far - 14/02 London!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richa2002

Established Member
FGWFan said:
Just to let you know, yesterday I couldn't see that shot of the ex-VT 43. Now I can, all I can say is HELLFIRE! The rear one appears to be doing just as well! I'd like to know how long they'd been idling!
It was forming the 14:00 London St. Pancras and I suspect it was the 'hot set'. As soon as my dad and I got to the end of the platform, I said to him to look out because I had really had a feeling that it would clag seeing as it was a clapped out ex-VT example and I was duly awarded with a fantastic video (including a horn sound from the friendly woman driver!). My dad also got a proper photo on his camera which was taken a tiny bit late but still shows the clag. In regard to how long it had been idling, according to a photo I got it was idling for about 60 mins.
y3nk1x.jpg

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nice one Richard A. If I ever get another ex-VT example, I'll be looking out for the serious clag! I wonder how FGW will get their bought ex-VT ones up to stratch.

richa2002

Established Member
Julian G said:
Any idea what's coming out of that 66?
ybtsce.jpg

Photo taken by joea1
That's just normal diesel exhaust. Not clag.
--- edited ---
FGWFan said:
Nice one Richard A. If I ever get another ex-VT example, I'll be looking out for the serious clag! I wonder how FGW will get their bought ex-VT ones up to stratch.
Thanks. Hopefully FGW won't maintain them too much ;)

Dennis

Established Member
FGWFan said:
As for objecting to 'clagging' locos, is that a Greenpeace supporter over into Trowbridge?

Seriously, I agree to some extent on that, but even so, rail contributes less than 1% of the fumes going up into the air IIRC.

:sign5: No way am I a Greenpeace supporter. I love the smell of clag. What I wonder is what the general public think when exposed to it.

(31190 was started up yesterday morning at Westbury and platform 3 had full exposure to the clag for two hours thanks to the unusual wind direction - I expect the poor girl in the snack shed was coughing a bit and that all the fresh sandwiches had an unusual taste!!)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
ROFL!!! Glad to know you're not a Greenpeace supporter! Hopefully not Friends of the Earth either...

Wish I'd seen 31190 start up, sounds like a sight and a half!

Richard A, I'm hoping so too. Expect some beasty pictures of 43194 later this year clagging like nobody's business off Newport!

Julian G

Established Member
I swear NMT Flying Banana still has their Valenta engines
also I think that 43099 still has the Valenta engine (is that the MML HST still in the old MML livery?)

Status
Not open for further replies.