• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Bilingual Stations Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeststop

Peace on Erth? :lol:

St Erth

Peairt

Yes indeed! St Erth, though the station itself in not in the parish of St Erth but actually in the hamlet of Rose-an Grouse.
The clue refers to the time about 30 years ago when one of the bells of the Church of St Erc cracked open and was unusable. There is a Church of England charity which pays for the up-keep of church bells, and they offered to pay for the cost of the bell to be re-cast. They made a stipulation that around the lower outside rim of the bell would be a misquote of a line from Hark the Herald Angels sing. "Re-born to raise the sons of Erth" rather than "Peace on Earth". The parish council agreed.

I know the answer to your suggestion but I''ll let someone else answer.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveHarries

Established Member
Correct! As for Aberdaugleddau... Milford Haven?

If so, then Ceann Loch Ailleart
Aberdaugleddau is indeed Milford Haven: literal translation, I believe, of Aberdaugleddau is "Mouth of the Two Waters Cleddau" so no "Haven" in it if you speak Welsh!

I once walked over the Cleddau bridge in high winds when it was closed which was fun: had to hold on for dear life - :lol: - but I have a video that I took at the time.

Dave

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
Lochailort's bilingual station signs say "Loch Ailleart". Ceann Loch Ailleart would mean Lochailorthead, if there is such a place.

Hmm, you're right. Perhaps I used a bad source - or it's referring to the station's position at the head of Loch Ailort. Still, I'll make sure that I refer to it is 'Loch Ailleart' next time round. :smile:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
How about Glan-y-fferi?

backontrack

Established Member
Hmm. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this one, but then again somebody who does will come along in a minute and get the correct answer.

With these stations, generally there are some that you know - because you've seen the signs, or read about them somewhere, or just remember that they have really strange names (like Aberdaugleddau for Milford Haven) - then there are some that you can guess by looking at the words phonetically; for example Dowrgonna, which almost completely replicates the 'Gunna' of Gunnislake. However, there are many that I don't know - many more, in fact, than the ones I do. Obviously, our personal knowledge of each area varies; mine doesn't cover this station (wherever it is) so I'll wait and leave it for someone who does definitely know.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's actually spelled An Aghaidh Mhòr :)

Ah. I was going by how it is on the signs, but I think I was slightly sceptical at the time. Thanks. :smile:

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
This one I do know because I get to Penyffordd quite a lot and I'm fairly sure that Yr Hob is the next stop up the line, Hope.

Open floor if correct.

backontrack

Established Member
Hmm. I recognise 'Gabhal'. Limerick Junction?

If so, then try this: Calafort Ros Láir

Status
Not open for further replies.