• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The British Gypsum Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesHorrell

Hi

Just Wondered if anyone can tell me if the British Gypsum Train still runs on the Airedale Line, as i haven't seen it run though Crossflatts for the last 2 weeks so i was wondering if the train now goes a different route as it usally passes though at around 2:50pm-3pm.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freightmaster

Established Member
...so i was wondering if the train now goes a different route...
Yes - most of the gypsum for Newbiggin is currently coming from Fiddlers Ferry
(via Blackburn and Clitheroe), although there is still a train booked to run from
Drax on Friday afternoons.

MARK

JamesHorrell

Yes - most of the gypsum for Newbiggin is currently coming from Fiddlers Ferry
(via Blackburn and Clitheroe), although there is still a train booked to run from
Drax on Friday afternoons.

MARK

Cheers i'll keep a eye out for it then on friday as its a shame it doesn't run though all week as it was the only chance i had of seeing a Class 60.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Do you mean this week (WB 12th) or next week?

Still looking at about 3pm through Keighley?

Established Member
Just out of curiosity why is there is less gypsum coming out of Drax?

Might be something to do with their move towards using more biofuels. Also I passed Ferrybridge recently and looks as if they are sending more and more by road.

lincolnshire

Is the gypsum from Drax going to Gasacoinge Wood instead? as there is usually a train been unloaded there and transported to the old covered coal preperation shed where its stored prior to been transported by road to British Gypsum Factory at Sherburn in Elmet near to the station?
As this source of supply saves them digging it from underground adjacent to the factory.

Established Member
Is the gypsum from Drax going to Gasacoinge Wood instead? as there is usually a train been unloaded there and transported to the old covered coal preperation shed where its stored prior to been transported by road to British Gypsum Factory at Sherburn in Elmet near to the station?
As this source of supply saves them digging it from underground adjacent to the factory.

That might be right, I vaguely remember reading something about this but can't remember the full details.

tirphil

Gypsum was going to Gaswood from Drax in open wagons. Afternoon departure from Gaswood ran class 8 (8D06? due to dust) and the loaded returned during the early hours of the morning. Crewed exclusively by Knottingley drivers. I can't remember the headcode of the loaded working. I presume it is still running,

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Gypsum was going to Gaswood from Drax in open wagons. Afternoon departure from Gaswood ran class 8 (8D06? due to dust) and the loaded returned during the early hours of the morning. Crewed exclusively by Knottingley drivers. I can't remember the headcode of the loaded working. I presume it is still running,

Why open wagons? I would have thought that it needed to be kept dry? Also, please excuse my ignorance but what is a class 8?

Freightmaster

Established Member
Do you mean this week (WB 12th) or next week?
This week (GB Mon-Thurs, DBS Friday)

Still looking at about 3pm through Keighley?
No - that would be the time for the empties from the morning train,
which is not currently running.

The afternoon train passes Keighley around 12:15 towards Newbiggin,
with the empties returning east around 20:15.

MARK

tirphil

It was (still is?) transported in open wagons as the transfer to road transport at Gaswood was done by a JCB grab. A class 8 service is restricted to a maximum of 35mph.

JamesHorrell

Nice Picture and I Saw it Past Crossflatts While i was in Maths.

So The Train i see at 3pm isn't running anymore?

and the one in the picture above is the one which runs though at Dinner Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.