• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Chronicles of Narnia film?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeGJ1984

Just watching The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and wondering where the train scenes were filmed? It looks like the Severn Valley Railway, I think (and you can see a river), and the children arrive at Coombe Halt (a single platform halt with a crossing over the railway line). where they are met by Mrs McReady the housekeeper. (I suspect the station sign could easily be changed for the filming though - but is it a reference to Coombe Junction Halt?) Before this they go through another station with no name shown, but it looks like it could be on the Severn Valley Railway (go here and click on Highley station, I think this was it. (I recognise that machine to the right of the door).

Does anyone know where it was filmed? What about the station they start from (in the story it is a London terminus, but was it actually filmed at a London terminus?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oswyntail

Established Member
imdb says the station is Highley station on the SVR. It does not say if a London station was used.

JoeGJ1984

As I said, they go through a station (and another girl gets off) which I recognised as Highley, but then the Pevensie children go on to another station called Coombe Halt in the film where they get off. It is a single platform halt with a barrow crossing across the tracks. A semaphore signal can be seen in the 'off' position. (A bit strange to have a signal at a single platform station with no crossing loop). Is this latter station one of the Severn Valley Railway's halts? (Because these halts have no signalboxes).

John Webb

Established Member
As I said, they go through a station (and another girl gets off) which I recognised as Highley, but then the Pevensie children go on to another station called Coombe Halt in the film where they get off. It is a single platform halt with a barrow crossing across the tracks. A semaphore signal can be seen in the 'off' position. (A bit strange to have a signal at a single platform station with no crossing loop). Is this latter station one of the Severn Valley Railway's halts? (Because these halts have no signalboxes).
This film isn't mentioned in "Horton's Guide to British Railways on Film" (1st Ed).

Regarding the halt, do bear in mind that the props people can 'decorate' a location if they or the director feels the scene needs something extra - even if it's not a prototypical item!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Right - it was in Horton's book, under "Chronicles of Narnia".

This confirms that the 2005 Disney version* did start at Paddington, with GWR trains added/overlaid by computer-generated imagery. The station "Pewsey" is indeed Highley on the SVR. But everything else, including "Coombe Halt" was filmed in New Zealand! That, and the fact it is a Disney film, probably explains the presence of the signal.

* There is also a BBC version from 1988; this starts off in a station which looks nothing like a London Terminus, with 22XX class 3205 hauling the train. Brief glimpse of it running on a single line and that's all the railway stuff in that one.

Rick1984

following on from this. In Prince Caspian is the undeground Station Aldwych and the train 19838 stock?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
following on from this. In Prince Caspian is the undeground Station Aldwych and the train 19838 stock?

According to a couple of sites found on Google, the platform was recreated in a stage set. The train did look very much like 1938 stock but must have been added as a composite image or via CGI.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Can't be as bad as superman III which had the London underground complete with London transport logos standing in for the metropolis(new york) subway.

Rick1984

Saw one film they were travelling to brighton on a class 319 but the interior was a loco hauled compartment carriage!

matt_world2004

Established Member
Or the remake of total recall which had the new york subway standing in for London Underground complete with new york subway rolling stock with LU posters for set dressing.

Tracky

Flying Pictures spent 2 days on the SVR with Bradley Manor and four GWR coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.