• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Cologne Connection

In wishing to draw on the collective forum wisdom, how much faith should I put in an 11 minute connection at Cologne Hbf suggested in a ticket itinerary (single ticket Brussels Midi to Villach Hbf) between "National Express #1" 22:51 Aachen Hbf - 23:44 Cologne Hbf and ICE #619 23:55 Cologne Hbf - 06:03 Munich Hbf?

Any stories welcome!

TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rvdborgt

In wishing to draw on the collective forum wisdom, how much faith should I put in an 11 minute connection at Cologne Hbf suggested in a ticket itinerary (single ticket Brussels Midi to Villach Hbf) between "National Express #1" 22:51 Aachen Hbf - 23:44 Cologne Hbf and ICE #619 23:55 Cologne Hbf - 06:03 Munich Hbf?
Not too much I'm afraid. Although on bahn.expert it mostly seems to be on time. But not e.g. on 29/2 or 15/2 or 12/2.

Veteran Member
German regional trains are far more likely to be punctual than ICEs. The question is whether 619 would be held for a minor delay (my guess is yes) and what's plan B if there's major disruption. I would be inclined to pay the extra and use the Eurostar.

rvdborgt

German regional trains are far more likely to be punctual than ICEs. The question is whether 619 would be held for a minor delay (my guess is yes) and what's plan B if there's major disruption. I would be inclined to pay the extra and use the Eurostar.
29/2: 26841 arr. 0:08; 619 left 0:06.
15/2: 619 had a larger delay than the 26841.
12/2: 26841 +30, 619 wasn't held.
10/2: 26841 cancelled on Aachen-Horrem
9/2: 26841 arr. 23:58, 619 held until 0:03
1/2: 26841 arr. 0:06, 619 dep. 0:06 (from another platform, so no chance)

So it seems you can't count on it.

peterblue

Am already planning on getting E* to Brussels so don't quite understand?

You can catch an earlier E*/Thalys service from Brussels to Cologne, in about 2 hours. It's more expensive though.

I wouldn't gamble on a 11 minute connection in Germany for a night train unless you have a Plan B.

Well, that's the theory but DB may not be that helpful in practice late at night at Koeln Hbf. Best to leave London earlier. Or have a Plan B, ie. the day train the following day....

dutchflyer

Established Member
Toss a coin-same chances.
Currently (again) on my way to AC, and esp. in this Rhein-Ruhr area about any train is likely to be delayed (so also that ICE), plus that local R/RE are far more likely to be cancelled at the very last moment-and even more late eve/nighttime. Staff shortages.
Plus the threat of again strikes by the union GdL coming weeks-now even threatening to be unannounced before.
There are-if full service running-also the odd later ICE train to serve FRA airport where one could connect onward.

zero

I wonder if the decision to hold or not hold is influenced by whether tickets with that itinerary have been sold?

Obviously there could be people attempting that connection without fixed tickets and DB wouldn't know about it

Also how much earlier are previous trains from Aachen to Koeln? If a delay on either seems likely it may be possible to take an earlier train

The exile

Established Member
I wonder if the decision to hold or not hold is influenced by whether tickets with that itinerary have been sold?

Obviously there could be people attempting that connection without fixed tickets and DB wouldn't know about it

Also how much earlier are previous trains from Aachen to Koeln? If a delay on either seems likely it may be possible to take an earlier train
The principle used to be that in general a higher class train wouldn’t be held for a lower. I did once have the pleasure of having the Brussels - Hamburg sleeper held for me off an incoming E* that should have had a near 3 hour connection. The face on the Guard on E* as she came through asking about onward destinations and I added “Hamburg” to the crop of various Belgian stations!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The title of this thread is a novel I'd buy - "Die Kölner Verbindung" or "Der Kölner Anschluss" @Bletchleyite may back me up here
If you allow a couple of hours in Köln, you won't be short of things to do within 1km of the station (left luggage lockers are cheap enough if you've more than a rucksack on you) and there's contingency if you are severely delayed.

The exile

Established Member
I reckon the latter - the former term speaks of a whole journey including the connections, the latter the connection itself.

Does sound a good read! :)
Think the second one would be better as “Anschluss in Koeln”. On that theme , “All quiet in the Western Front” has a chapter entitled “In Loehne umsteigen” (Change at Loehne). I’ve done so and don’t recommend it!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Think the second one would be better as “Anschluss in Koeln”. On that theme , “All quiet in the Western Front” has a chapter entitled “In Loehne umsteigen” (Change at Loehne). I’ve done so and don’t recommend it!

Nah, novel titles sound better as "the <place> <thing>". It just works. There's loads named like that.

That said, "die Koelner Verbindung" just sounds like a strapline for the local Verkehrsverbund (transport authority).

The exile

Established Member
Nah, novel titles sound better as "the <place> <thing>". It just works. There's loads named like that.

That said, "die Koelner Verbindung" just sounds like a strapline for the local Verkehrsverbund (transport authority).
I’d agree in English - not in German. Novel titles, that is.

THC

Hi folks, I have a Cologne connection issue and on seeing this thread thought it the ideal place to ask for help.

I'm travelling from London to Berlin by train this Friday 15 March, changing at Bruxelles and Köln Hbf, 1225 from Bruxelles into Köln Hbf at 1415 and then onto the 1445 ICE651 to Berlin, however DB has told me this latter train is cancelled and suggests an alternative 1348 from Köln, a full 27 minutes before my train from Bruxelles arrives, as below:

12:25Bruxelles MidiGl. 7
ICE 315 Richtung Frankfurt(Main)Hbf
14:15Köln HbfGl. 4 A-C
14:45Köln HbfGl. 2 A-C
13:48ICE 651 Richtung Berlin OstbahnhofGl. 2
ICE 951 Richtung Berlin Ostbahnhof
19:02Berlin HbfGl. 11
18:16Gl. 12

On investigation it appears the original ICE651 starts instead from Köln Masse-Deutz at 1448, so I am puzzled as to why DB would not suggest getting this instead. Would one of you more seasoned German rail travellers (it's my first time travelling on DB) please tell me that I am not going mad and instead just need to get from Hbf to Masse-Deutz in the half an hour I should have to spare (if things are i) running and ii) to time) and jump on the original service? If that is correct, can I expect my original reservation to apply?

Many thanks in advance for any advice, reassurance etc.

THC

peterblue

According to bahn.de there is indeed a train at 1444 from Köln Messe (ICE 651). It will be fine to catch that. DB are normally very reasonable and accommodating with delays.

rvdborgt

According to bahn.de there is indeed a train at 1444 from Köln Messe (ICE 651). It will be fine to catch that. DB are normally very reasonable and accommodating with delays.
Use the DB Navigator app to find the next train(s) to K-Deutz. If you're late into Cologne, first check the status of your ICE to Berlin. It's coming from Stuttgart and will be diverted via the right bank of the Rhine, so there may be even more delays than usual. Also, in Germany, as soon as the delay at your final destination is expected to be more than 20 minutes, you can take any other train without mandatory reservations without any formalities. So don't loose any time standing in line to get a stamp, just find the next train.

THC

Use the DB Navigator app to find the next train(s) to K-Deutz. If you're late into Cologne, first check the status of your ICE to Berlin. It's coming from Stuttgart and will be diverted via the right bank of the Rhine, so there may be even more delays than usual. Also, in Germany, as soon as the delay at your final destination is expected to be more than 20 minutes, you can take any other train without mandatory reservations without any formalities. So don't loose any time standing in line to get a stamp, just find the next train.
Thank you @rvdborgt and @peterblue for your helpful replies 8-)

THC

dutchflyer

Established Member
But there is hope! On last tue=strike day, I made connection at that same stop=Köln HBF in 3 mins and even into a train that I should not have been able to catch: OFF a SEV=replacement bus from Brühl-speedy running, arr 7 mins early vs planned time-at ZOB-BReslauer Platz (backside of station)_ and then spotted a Nat.Expr train to Düsseld in 3 mins-was just able to make it, as it of course was far side of station to run to.
In fact on that strike day I was able(Being used to never no trains @ all on strikes here in NL) to come from FRAnkfurt with my regional trains only DE-Ticket about as planned-and that SEV-bus was also mentioned anyway.
And luck kept on: could do some fast shopping @ Lidl near Düs-HBF and still make the VIAS-RE19 25 mins later to Arnhem-arr even there 2 mins early-so also able to just catch an NS onward to Utrecht.
So there are also-for some considerable time- works south of Köln on the mian line to Bonn.
Also warning for that ICE: I´ve also used it a few times-it stands/has to turn in FRA-HBF for some 15/20 mins and then DO watch out as anyone can board and look for some interesting things........

THC

Cologne connected 8-) ICE651 was 25 late off Köln Messe Deutz and I'm on the way to Berlin. Got to see the Wuppertaler Schwebebahn up close as a bonus.

THC

Attachments

• IMG_20240315_141557036_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240315_141557036_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20240315_143158671.jpg
    IMG_20240315_143158671.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20240315_150458888_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240315_150458888_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240315_153928507.jpg
    IMG_20240315_153928507.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 27
The title of this thread is a novel I'd buy - "Die Kölner Verbindung" or "Der Kölner Anschluss" @Bletchleyite may back me up here.

Isn't it one of Freddie Forsyth's lesser known novels?... ;)

Thanks all for the advice. As the ultimate destination is Venice, probably gonna plonk for the Brussels sleeper to Vienna then change at Salzburg Hbf and Villach Hbf ('cos coming back via Brenner). RailEurope threw up the original itinerary as it seems (to me) to have an aversion atm to routing via sleepers!